Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Captain
# 11
02-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I would assume it is not named after Scotty. It would be incredibly odd to use someone's first name rather then last.
This, if it were named after "Scotty" then it would either be the Montgomery Scott class or just Scott class.
Captain
# 12
02-20-2014, 09:36 PM
Quote:
As Montgomery is one of the most famous Generals of his era and has had movies made about him and his exploits - Montgomery versus Rommel - it seems far more likely that it was named after him.
Only because Geroge S. Patton was showing him up. As I recall, duing the Battle of the Bulge Mongtomery was retreating while Patton ADVANCED. In fact, Patton NEVER retreated or withdrawed while he was in command. He wasn't called "Blood and Guts Patton" for nothing.
Career Officer
# 13
02-20-2014, 09:42 PM
I was assuming it was named after Scotty, simply because the other variants have names related to the Dyson spheres - the Omega Particles found in the Solanae sphere, the sun in the centre of the sphere, and Montgomery Scott, discoverer of the Jenolan Sphere.

In which case, yeah I agree it's kind of funny that they didn't use his last name.
You're right. The work here is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
Captain
# 14
02-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Quote:
The Dakota is not named after Dakota Fanning.
actually I think it was.

Captain
# 15
02-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerontzur View Post
as the Omega is likely named after the Omega Molecules.
Nah, the Omega is named after this citizen of Cybertron.
Career Officer
# 16
02-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
I was assuming it was named after Scotty, simply because the other variants have names related to the Dyson spheres - the Omega Particles found in the Solanae sphere, the sun in the centre of the sphere, and Montgomery Scott, discoverer of the Jenolan Sphere.

In which case, yeah I agree it's kind of funny that they didn't use his last name.
Kind of quibbling here, Helios has nothing to do with the sun in the middle of the Dyson sphere. Helios is an ancient Greek Sun God, so it would have more to do with Sol then with a brown dwarf in the middle of a anciet Dyson sphere.

Unless I missed that the Romulan lead alliance had named the Dyson sphere's sun after an ancient Greek sun god of the Sol system. But then of course, listening to Romulans and Klingons call it a Dyson sphere in game is kind of a misnomer too, so I can at least see the correlation when it comes to the devs.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
02-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Quote:
As Montgomery is one of the most famous Generals of his era and has had movies made about him and his exploits - Montgomery versus Rommel - it seems far more likely that it was named after him.
Then again, I can't see the Federation naming a science vessel after some 20th C general.
Career Officer
# 18
02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
Then again, I can't see the Federation naming a science vessel after some 20th C general.
Really? There are instances in canon, of the Federation naming ships after 19th and 20th century Admirals and US Presidents. (The Roosevelt. The Farraguat) It's not that much of a stretch for a ship to be named after famous generals, especially one with a tactical bent.
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
02-20-2014, 11:35 PM
An individual ship I can see. I just don't think they'd name an entire class of ships after a General.

That's assuming it's even named after General Montgomery.
Career Officer
# 20
02-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
An individual ship I can see. I just don't think they'd name an entire class of ships after a General.

That's assuming it's even named after General Montgomery.
Can't argue there, it's a huge assumption.

But classes of ships are usually named after the first ship built (or at least concieved) in the ship line. That changes sometimes (the Galaxy class for example), but often times the class of ship isn't even given an official name.