Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 988
# 21
02-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
An individual ship I can see. I just don't think they'd name an entire class of ships after a General.

That's assuming it's even named after General Montgomery.
Ship class names are merely just whatever the first ship of the class is named.
LtGen. Mara Navar, IKS Doronar, Bortasqu' Tactical Cruiser
VADM T'Prel Movar, RRW Imperator Scimitar Warbird
VADM Genestra, USS Indomitable, Avenger Class Battle-Cruiser
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 773
# 22
02-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymyajha View Post
Can't argue there, it's a huge assumption.

But classes of ships are usually named after the first ship built (or at least concieved) in the ship line. That changes sometimes (the Galaxy class for example), but often times the class of ship isn't even given an official name.
Actually, the first ship of the Galaxy-class was the Galaxy, not the Enterprise. But you are essentially correct, the class is named for the first ship ordered, usually it's also the first ship launched, as that's often a prototype for the class, but there are exceptions.
Ensign
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
TNG: Relics.

Scotty is found intentionally trapped in the transporter buffers of the USS Jenolan, a ship which crashed onto a sphere that would eventually become known as the Jenolan Dyson Sphere (built around a G-type star I might add, our own sun is a G2, not much difference, ahem Helios), which is the sphere featured in game.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Relics_(episode)

Proper ship class name or not, the fact that a class DYSON science destroyer (Montgomery-class) shares the same name as a famous Starfleet engineer (Montgomery Scott) who was found on a DYSON sphere (which also happens to be the sphere depicted in game) is a much stronger connection than a 20th century general.

Proper ship naming or not, for me this is substantial evidence, that and the fact that Montgomery is much more instantly recognisable and unique than Scott, a name shared by many more people, and lets face it Cryptic isn't very good at keeping Star Trek lore.

And to those who don't believe that it is in fact the Jenolan Dyson Sphere, please refer to this

http://sto.gamepedia.com/U.S.S._Gold

and play the in-game mission.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,842
# 24
02-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingpanda View Post
TNG: Relics.

Scotty is found intentionally trapped in the transporter buffers of the USS Jenolan, a ship which crashed onto a sphere that would eventually become known as the Jenolan Dyson Sphere (built around a G-type star I might add, our own sun is a G2, not much difference, ahem Helios), which is the sphere featured in game.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Relics_(episode)

Proper ship class name or not, the fact that a class DYSON science destroyer (Montgomery-class) shares the same name as a famous Starfleet engineer (Montgomery Scott) who was found on a DYSON sphere (which also happens to be the sphere depicted in game) is a much stronger connection than a 20th century general.

Proper ship naming or not, for me this is substantial evidence, that and the fact that Montgomery is much more instantly recognisable and unique than Scott, a name shared by many more people, and lets face it Cryptic isn't very good at keeping Star Trek lore.

And to those who don't believe that it is in fact the Jenolan Dyson Sphere, please refer to this

http://sto.gamepedia.com/U.S.S._Gold

and play the in-game mission.
Still not really relevant to the debate because then the USS Kirk would be called USS James instead as well.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 984
# 25
02-21-2014, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f9thaceshigh View Post
Actually, the first ship of the Galaxy-class was the Galaxy, not the Enterprise. But you are essentially correct, the class is named for the first ship ordered, usually it's also the first ship launched, as that's often a prototype for the class, but there are exceptions.
Bear in mind though that there are occasionally ship classes that have certain theme, like the Luna-class, where every subsequent ship is named in accordance with the theme, in this particular example named after moons in the solar system.

Although... to my knowledge, this is the only example I can think of in Trek EU that followed that convention. None of the Galaxy-class ships are named after galaxies, Constitution-class ships aren't named after... uh, constitutions.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 187
# 26
02-21-2014, 01:54 AM
Perhaps they should have called it the Jenolan-class?
I'd rather go with the Alabaman city as namesake, perhaps as a smirking reference to Scotty by Starfleet Command because the USS (Montgomery) Scott is still in service.

As for the British general - I've never heard of him before. As a 21st century Human. How meaningless is the name going to sound for any Vulcan or Benzite not well-versed in Terran history?

Star Trek EU has some classes follow naming conventions: Luna-class after Sol system moons, Aerie-class colony ships after Earth cities, Nebula-class after scientists and philosophers, Nova-class sfter physicists; and the Galaxy- and Constitution-classes receive names befitting a flagship class (Enterprise, Endeavour, Venture, Odyssey, etc.).
Leipzig University, 1409-2409

Last edited by woerligen; 02-21-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 181
# 27
02-21-2014, 02:41 AM
There's also the Danube Runabout providing an in-canon example of a class (albeit a small one) with a specific naming convention.

As for the Montgomery class itself... kind of an odd situation, really. Either it's a reference to Scotty in which case it doesn't make sense to have it as the tactical variant, or it's not and it's an pretty random choice of name compared to the other Dyson ships. A bit of clarification either way wouldn't go astray, anyway.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,309
# 28
02-21-2014, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingpanda View Post
TNGroper ship class name or not, the fact that a class DYSON science destroyer (Montgomery-class) shares the same name as a famous Starfleet engineer (Montgomery Scott) who was found on a DYSON sphere (which also happens to be the sphere depicted in game) is a much stronger connection than a 20th century general.
I would only point out one thing here: Scotty was not famous in that episode. The crew of the Enterprise D did not even know who he was or all that he had accomplished. LaForge thought he was an troublesome old man, not the most famous engineer in Starfleet history.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,309
# 29
02-21-2014, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke89305092 View Post
There's also the Danube Runabout providing an in-canon example of a class (albeit a small one) with a specific naming convention.

As for the Montgomery class itself... kind of an odd situation, really. Either it's a reference to Scotty in which case it doesn't make sense to have it as the tactical variant, or it's not and it's an pretty random choice of name compared to the other Dyson ships. A bit of clarification either way wouldn't go astray, anyway.
The ship could be named after the General - as it is the Tactical variant. It could be named after the city. It could even be named after the series of USS Montgomery ships from history. It just seems highly unlikely that it would be called the Montgomery rather the the Scott or Montgomery Scott Class if it were named after Scotty.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 988
# 30
02-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
Bear in mind though that there are occasionally ship classes that have certain theme, like the Luna-class, where every subsequent ship is named in accordance with the theme, in this particular example named after moons in the solar system.

Although... to my knowledge, this is the only example I can think of in Trek EU that followed that convention. None of the Galaxy-class ships are named after galaxies, Constitution-class ships aren't named after... uh, constitutions.
Themes aren't always followed, for example all of the Los Angles Class submarines were named after cities except for one, the USS Hyman G. Rickover (Who as named after the Admiral who is considered the "Father" of US Naval Nuclear propulsion).
LtGen. Mara Navar, IKS Doronar, Bortasqu' Tactical Cruiser
VADM T'Prel Movar, RRW Imperator Scimitar Warbird
VADM Genestra, USS Indomitable, Avenger Class Battle-Cruiser
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11 AM.