Lt. Commander
# 1 In Game Announcement Please?
02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
So there I am about to change system and I get a DC, upon logging back in I see this in the launcher....

Star Trek is currently blah blah.....................2 Hours...

Please just announce it in game and let us know whats happening, I don't mind the fact you are trying to fix, debug, smooth stuff. ......... but the communication is dire and you really could do much better (Woo sound like a teacher..).

It doesn't take much to placate a good majority of the player base with simple and timely messages about whats happening. Posting emergency maintenance on the Forums is no good for those of us in game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Agreed, a 15 minute warning that maintenance is going to happen and maybe I would have chosen not to start a new mission.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
ok let me get right right... the server crashed and they should have anounced it?

so when your tire blows off on your car you would expect it to tell you ATLEAST 30 min ahead of time?

ROFLMAO "Julius ceasar with face in palms"
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
No kinding, I was loading a ground map when I got booted with an error message saying the map crash or something. Kept on trying for like 15min before i got back in and start doing the mission to get booted again 5min later. I figure it was just another hiccup or something...till it keep on failing to connect at the logging server.

I a little info DOESN'T HURT.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 01:59 PM
So how will Cryptic handle players who were at the end of missions that took 1+ hour to get through, only to find themselves DC'd at end boss fight?

Sadly, players get shafted and told there is nothing Cryptic can / will do, so just suck it up I guess and redo the damn mission

No announcement, just server BOOM!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 01:59 PM
SnakeValentine, I'm not trolling but they did know it was coming down, just felt like a crash to us in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Drannic
Star Trek Online is currently down for a brief maintenance. We are expecting this downtime to last no more than 2 hours. Upon completion of the maintenance, this message will be updated accordingly
And the first reply underneath states where was the message in game for maintenance, this may have been emergency but they did post it was happening.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakevalentine
ok let me get right right... the server crashed and they should have anounced it?

so when your tire blows off on your car you would expect it to tell you ATLEAST 30 min ahead of time?

Server didn't crash...it was taken down for maintenance.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakevalentine

Picard facepalm is better.

I guess the point is we dont know if it's a crash or a "maintenance".
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm sure it would have been announced, if it was planned. The average downtime for the 6 or so weekend crashes seemed to be roughly 2 hours. I'm interested to see if there is GM and Dev interaction with the community when the non-headstarters begin to join the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferhawke View Post
Picard facepalm is better.

I guess the point is we dont know if it's a crash or a "maintenance".
Emergency maintenance isent planed... its done cause it crashed... if you look on top there are several difrent versions of the msg... a couple is planned and some are cause of crashes.... Emergency normally meens in any place in the world that something went completely wrong... there is a reason its called emergency..

also they been trying to get out message about planned ones so... this was a crash... they can say what they want to calm you lot down but there's a reason for the difrent msgs