Lt. Commander
I know how to use the sector map, but if you are looking for a system that isn't in your current sector block, I can't seem to find a way to search for its actual location. Is there a way to do this?

The only in-game responses I get are "it's not hard, look it up on the map you %$#$"

But, if you're not in the sector block, you can't see the system listed...so...? am I missing something?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
If you're being directed to a system by a mission, take a second look at the mission briefing; the dev team have been petty good about indicating what sector your missions are in.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 06:12 PM
No, it doesn't. It just says go to the Bandori system or whatever - I'm not in game to check it. But it gives no clues as to what sector block it was in at all. I read it over 3 times. It ended up being in serius sector but I had no way of knowing that if I was in the neighboring sector block.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Which mission is it?

As Gym said they do normaly tell you what sector you need, not the same as sector block.
Open galaxy map and you can see all the sector names, and also what route to get there.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 08:53 PM
At the top of your map screen there are three tabs:

Area Map
Galaxy Map
and the third one, the name I forget.

Go to the galaxy map tab.

Or go to Suricata's galaxy map here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=88819
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I think part of the confusion with this is the repeat of sector ... you have Sectors, like Risa Sector, and then you have Sector Blocks, like Serius Sector Block. The fact that sector is repeated confuses me sometimes because I'm not sure if that's a block I haven't visited or a sector within a block. It gets even more confusing if the names are similar (or repeated). Like Go to Bandori Sector in the Anbori Sector Block and visit the Danorbi System.

I really think if they could have come up with some other term than Sector Block it would be more clear. Quadrant - perhaps, but then the purists would be screaming about Alpha/Beta/Gamma.

Parsec, perhaps.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't mind if they went with "subsector" and "sector" for the subdivisions.

Gym "But then, I've been playing Traveller for 30 years, so it's second-nature for me. " Quirk
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
I know how to use the sector map, but if you are looking for a system that isn't in your current sector block, I can't seem to find a way to search for its actual location. Is there a way to do this?

The only in-game responses I get are "it's not hard, look it up on the map you %$#$"

But, if you're not in the sector block, you can't see the system listed...so...? am I missing something?
Yeah, it's confusing sometimes. I had a fleetmate who wanted help finding his planet, and I couldn't help since I didn't have the mission. My advice would be, if you DO have the mission, set it as your "primary mission." Sometimes if the mission text itself doesn't help get you where you need to go, the mission objective on the side of the screen will tell you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 10:33 PM
If the mission says, 'Go to the Kassae system in the Pi Canis sector' and you're over in the Argolis sector, look at the Galactic map and locate the Pi Canis sector. When you find it, look at the sectors in between then go to the system list and click the sector that adjoins Argolis and is on the way to Pi Canis. Rinse and repeat until you get there.

Most mission briefings will tell you which sector a system is in. If one doesn't, bug report it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 02:48 AM
My question is - is there a way to locate systems. I know about the galaxy map, sectors, and sector blocks. But the fact is if you're in the wrong sector block there is no way to locate a system. Unless I'm missing something.