Lieutenant
# 21
02-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Once again you are blaming ARC, as you did this over on the NW forums also, when the games still use their individual launchers. If ARC was this big security issue then there would be way more people getting hacked like myself as I have used ARC since day 1 and play just about every PWE/Cryptic title and have put money into each game. Yet low and behold I have never been hacked in my 14 years or MMO gaming. If someone hacked your account then it is normally cause you have something on your computer, you went to a questionable site, or logged into an unsecured computer or used public wifi.
ARC user since May 28th 2013
Career Officer
# 22
02-27-2014, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoric View Post
Once again you are blaming ARC, as you did this over on the NW forums also, when the games still use their individual launchers. If ARC was this big security issue then there would be way more people getting hacked like myself as I have used ARC since day 1 and play just about every PWE/Cryptic title and have put money into each game. Yet low and behold I have never been hacked in my 14 years or MMO gaming. If someone hacked your account then it is normally cause you have something on your computer, you went to a questionable site, or logged into an unsecured computer or used public wifi.
Well it is kind of fishy that I've done multiple scans now even after updates with a great AV program, anti-malware program, had a techy friend check for invisible files that these scanners would miss (which he's absolutely great with considering he does this for a living) and considering the fact that since downloading ARC it actually doesn't ask for the login and password to login except 1 time when you first download it. So there's a bunch of holes in your insisting it was something else.

I have since received help from the support team they were exceedingly quick about this response I noticed (unusually so actually comparing it to problems I've had in the past) and everything was returned. Hopefully this issue will be addressed behind the scenes in programming quickly.
I would like for the devs to open a poll/feedback thread on what exactly the players would like to see in the near future for the game.
Captain
# 23
02-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tigglet View Post
I'm posting this in both games because there's something fishy going on here. I've played STO now for 4 years. I've used STEAM for 1 year for the login. I've always used the interface on STEAM and the STO launcher to type in my password, never had an issue.

1 week after installing ARC I've been hacked. What's worse is while I was being hacked on NWO I was actually logged into STO playing.

Isn't there a main login server to prevent multiple logins on accounts on ARC? apparently not!
That's funny. I mean, obviously not for you.

ARC! IT'S NOT QUITE AS BAD AS OBAMACARE!
Captain
# 24
02-27-2014, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
That's funny. I mean, obviously not for you.

ARC! IT'S NOT QUITE AS BAD AS OBAMACARE!
You might want to edit.

From TOS: e. unsolicited promotions, political campaigning, advertising or solicitations;
Live long and Prosper
Career Officer
# 25
02-27-2014, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tigglet View Post
It actually doesn't ask for the login and password to login except 1 time when you first download it. So there's a bunch of holes in your insisting it was something else.
Incorrect. ARC prompts you to sign in every time on start up or you can set it to remember password.

If you're signed in, ARC bypasses the launcher login so you go right into the game.
Ensign
# 26
02-27-2014, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbrandr View Post
It would be fantastic if they directed the development resources they are pitting into this abomination into the actual games instead.
No kidding! So many game bugs that have been here for months or years but are ignored while the try to reinvent steam instead of fixing them.

Maybe we should organize anniversary events for some of the bugs.
Commander
# 27
02-27-2014, 06:43 AM
I would like to know what form this hack took. In your 3rd post you mention "transactions I didn't authorize", but I don't know how you noticed your account was compromised. It would help all of us it we knew what to look out for.

I do know that when NWO first came out, people signed into the Launchers for both games at the same time, in an attempt to download NWO while playing STO. While the download while playing didn't work due to port conflicts, it does seem that it was possible to login to both games simultaneously. So Arc hasn't "removed" any security checking that was there before, it never existed and will be coming later.

If Arc were the sole method of launching PWE games it would be easy for PWE to implement single-session sign-on. The fact that Steam will continue to a launcher for STO adds a complication. But until the existing Launchers are mothballed, I imagine that it will be possible to have an account signed on multiple times, so long as they are using running different games.

The "Account Guard" should have protected you from someone using to credentials signing in from a new location. On the old STO website, it was possible to see and revoke your Account Guard authorisations, but this doesn't appear to be possible through the new "Arc" website. This is a step backwards.
Lieutenant
# 28
02-27-2014, 12:41 PM
your post is flawed on how you take all precautions cause if you had then you wouldn't have been hacked. I have used ARC since May 28th 2013 so it can't be ARC.
Ensign
# 29 cant log in to arc launcher
02-27-2014, 10:30 PM
I keep on getting a login failed massage each tile I try to log on to arc so I can play STO. I don't know what happened. I was working fine to day but now it is not letting me in. I have tried every thing and it still wont let me in. here is the error message Login has timed out. please check your network connections and try again. any help would be greatfull
Lieutenant
# 30
02-27-2014, 10:39 PM
I had that earlier but I just kept at it and it got logged in. they were either doing something or there was a hiccup in the network.