Lt. Commander
I would like to see the skill points required per level for 41+ increased by 70%. From 2,000 to 3,400.

The reason: admiral level skills.

Right now, for 41-45, it takes 8000 skill points.

This is enough for 16 skill levels worth of admiral skills. This means you can only raise a single skill to nine and another to seven, or else some other mix like five, five, and six. This severely cuts into what you can do.

Consider the weapon skills. If you want to use polaron weapons, you will pay a price. If you do not raise it to nine, you will do less damage than you would with another type. If do raise it to nine, odds are you will still do less damage, since you cannot raise the Starship Weapon Systems Performance skill to nine. And if you push both to 8, then you are missing out on the ship captain skill entirely. And, odds are, you aren't even considering taking most of the admiral level skills.

Now, by increasing the skill points required by 70%t, we would have enough points to get 27 levels worth of admiral skills. Enough to max three skills. Sufficient that one could take a high level weapon type, a captain skill, and weapon or aux performance. Or maybe spread the points out amongst four or five.

When the cap gets raised to 50, that will add another five levels of SP, enough to get up to six admiral level skills maxed, with some spare points, which isn't too bad, considering there are 19 admiral level skills.

The downside?

Well, the content is not there to level from 41-45, outside of the repeatable missions. However, this is the case with the existing 2000 points per level cap as well. It would extend the grind a bit, but, given the rate of leveling as it currently is, not too much. And when new content is added, that lack would eventually go away.

An acceptable cost for a bit more freedom in picking admiral level skills.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
I would like to see the skill points required per level for 41+ increased by 70%. From 2,000 to 3,400.

The reason: admiral level skills.

Right now, for 41-45, it takes 8000 skill points.

This is enough for 16 skill levels worth of admiral skills. This means you can only raise a single skill to nine and another to seven, or else some other mix like five, five, and six. This severely cuts into what you can do.
/signed

But wouldn't 75% be better?

Hopefully they will reconsider this, as the original game design was supposed to be that you would spend about half of garnered points to get to 40, and now you "get" to spend them all. Hopefully revamping the way skills work at admiral is on the discussion block but was bypassed in favor of more immediate concerns. Hopefully, this is not just another, "Let's revamp a poorly thought out leveling curve at the last second and not fix it, ever." thing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I don't have the link, but I remember a Dev stating that Admiral 1 was suppose to be the half-way mark. This tells me there is a lot more to come. The end-game Borg invasion is coming within a few weeks.