Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Since apparently some Klingons on this forum want cloak maintained with absolutely no changes, I would like to suggest a different change. Instead, I would request all Federation players get an "All power to shields" skill which makes them immobile and unable to attack, but they can never lose their shields, making them invincible. This way, bad Federation players have the opportunity to screw over a match they're losing until the opposing side throws it exactly the same as Klingons can do currently.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesstair View Post
Since apparently some Klingons on this forum want cloak maintained with absolutely no changes, I would like to suggest a different change. Instead, I would request all Federation players get an "All power to shields" skill which makes them immobile and unable to attack, but they can never lose their shields, making them invincible. This way, bad Federation players have the opportunity to screw over a match they're losing until the opposing side throws it exactly the same as Klingons can do currently.
Have you tried using Emergency Power to shields or Reverse Shield Polarity? Everyone has access to these and they effectively do what you are asking without making anyone immobile or preventing attack. Reverse Shield Polarity takes all incoming shots and turns it in to shield power and you are invincible to attacks of this nature for the duration (but not to debuffs).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Have you tried using Emergency Power to shields or Reverse Shield Polarity? Everyone has access to these and they effectively do what you are asking without making anyone immobile or preventing attack. Reverse Shield Polarity takes all incoming shots and turns it in to shield power and you are invincible to attacks of this nature for the duration (but not to debuffs).
Except that when they expire, you can die. Cloaking doesn't expire, so to have an equivalent grief-capable button, ours can't either.

*edit* also, those abilities don't come standard on every Federation ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesstair View Post
Except that when they expire, you can die. Cloaking doesn't expire, so to have an equivalent grief-capable button, ours can't either.
Yes because the answer to griefing is more griefing Seriously we've all discussed this. They need more objective based maps, the answer is not nerfing cloaking just because some morons are abusing it. And your definition of abuse last time was 2 minutes, sorry, but sometimes it takes 10 minutes to even get a full team. Again the answer is not nerfing cloak, but fixing the queuing system.

If you think someone is griefing there is a little button in the PvP map that allows you to report them, use it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Yes because the answer to griefing is more griefing Seriously we've all discussed this. They need more objective based maps, the answer is not nerfing cloaking just because some morons are abusing it. And your definition of abuse last time was 2 minutes, sorry, but sometimes it takes 10 minutes to even get a full team. Again the answer is not nerfing cloak, but fixing the queuing system.

If you think someone is griefing there is a little button in the PvP map that allows you to report them, use it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_modest_proposal
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesstair View Post
Yeah I've written articles on it, but you don't seem to get what satire is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Yeah I've written articles on it, but you don't seem to get what satire is.
sat⋅ire
  /ˈsætaɪər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sat-ahyuhr]
–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

Because my post was neither ironic nor sarcastic, of course. I mean, as you said, "Yes because the answer to griefing is more griefing".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesstair View Post
sat⋅ire
  /ˈsætaɪər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sat-ahyuhr]
–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

Because my post was neither ironic nor sarcastic, of course. I mean, as you said, "Yes because the answer to griefing is more griefing".
Since you truly believe the answer to the problem is to nerf cloak, no there was no satire in your post. The answers lie elsewhere, but you have some cloak is uber fetish that must be fed.

The problem with the deathmatch system is deeper than cloak, read about people throwing matches (Klingons) because the matches are too long for them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Since you truly believe the answer to the problem is to nerf cloak, no there was no satire in your post. The answers lie elsewhere, but you have some cloak is uber fetish that must be fed.

The problem with the deathmatch system is deeper than cloak, read about people throwing matches (Klingons) because the matches are too long for them.
Am I really going to have to break this down for you?

sar⋅casm
–noun
A form of irony in which apparent praise conceals another, scornful meaning. For example, a sarcastic remark directed at a person who consistently arrives fifteen minutes late for appointments might be, “Oh, you've arrived exactly on time!”

My OP was a sarcastic comment that cloak being able to be used to grief in a match was reasonable, and that in order to be fair each side should be able to grief similarly in a match. I suggested nothing about changing cloak in that post. By definition, it was a sarcastic post about cloak, and so by definition it was satire.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-01-2010, 04:40 PM
The answer to klingon cloaking is simple.

Allow the federation to retrofit a cloaking device onto their ships.

In the same way that the USS-Defiant has one, But have the cloaking device take up one of the console slots such as science or engineering.

And make the cloaking device a rare device that is awarded at the end of a long quest chain to obtain one from somewhere.

With the Romuluan star empire in ruins there would be plenty of oppotunities for a federation captain to obtain a Romuluan cloaking device by a variety of ways, perhaps they can salvage one off a wreck and get it repaired or perhaps they could purchase one from a rogue Romulan scientist or engineer after a long quest to track one down, because with an empire in collapse there will be plenty of these around.

This would be the perfect counter, cloaking to balance cloaking.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:37 AM.