Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Captain
# 21
03-01-2014, 04:04 AM
I've already had another thought... lol.

BPharpa mentioned that there's currently no incentive for anyone to use a higher level of tac team than level 1. If tac team shield distribution works as someone said earlier in the thread, and that is to pull points from facings in a 1:1 ratio with incoming damage, perhaps there should be a modifier in which tac team 1 pulls points in a 1:3 ratio (only compensating for 1/3 of damage) while tac team 2 pulls at 1:2 and tac team 3 pulls at 1:1, so tac team 1's current epic performance is only available at level 3.

This would bring tac team more in line with eng and sci team's scaling benefits, and eng and sci team could have the 5 second distribution while tac team has 10 second distribution, or they could have the same distribution time but eng and sci team have lower modifiers, like 1:6 at team 1, 1:4 at team 2 and 1:2 at team 3.

Despite what some say, tac team's virtual immunity to fire on my mark, attack pattern's beta and delta, and boarding parties is really quite potent, especially since it lasts for 2/3 of the global cool while eng and sci team only clear for 1/3. So keeping tac team the grand master of shield distribution plus its potent clearing and moderate damage buff, I think this would bring the teams more in line and would also solve the pesky problem of no one bothering with higher levels of tac team.
Captain
# 22
03-01-2014, 05:15 AM
Another solution could be the introduction of a new type of Shield Distribution Doff.

Shield Distribution Officer [Space]

Improve manual shield distribution by X%/X%+10%/X%+20%/X%+30%

It wouldn't make TT obsolete, as you'd still have to do it manually and you'd be sacrificing a Doff slot, but it would make redistributing yourself much more viable.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Automation is bad, especially if it's much more efficient than putting effort into it/doing it manually.
Doing something yourself, instead of letting some skill, macro or script do it for you, should always be rewarded, not penalized.

Imho it would be best if Tactical Team was re-designed from scratch.
Right now, it's only used for it's utility, namely fast re-distribution of shields in PvP and PvE and fighting off Borg boarding parties in PvE.

That's the only reason you want a perma TT.

We need other/additional ways of getting rid of borg boarding parties. And I'm not counting that weak doff.
Regarding the shield re-distribution, I even think that should be replaced with something else, or changed so that manual distribution is faster and more effective.

Getting rid of that perma-TT necessity would make room for different and probably more varied builds, especialy on ships with few tactical stations.
Captain
# 24
03-01-2014, 06:21 AM
Maybe put the shield autoredistribution with the Team actually has something to do with shields? Science Team?

Currently, just like Attack Pattern Omega, there's far, far too many good things in place for Tac Team.

Cryptic's Development Philosophy for the KDF & PVP
Captain
# 25
03-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
Another solution could be the introduction of a new type of Shield Distribution Doff.

It wouldn't make TT obsolete, as you'd still have to do it manually and you'd be sacrificing a Doff slot, but it would make redistributing yourself much more viable.
I don't think doffs can be the entire answer here because it doesn't solve the issue BPharpa mentioned of higher levels of tac team being entirely undesirable, it's stupid that people want eng team 3 or sci team 3 for better heals, but tac team 3 is ... lol. no.
Captain
# 26
03-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcjet View Post
Automation is bad, especially if it's much more efficient than putting effort into it/doing it manually.
Doing something yourself, instead of letting some skill, macro or script do it for you, should always be rewarded, not penalized.

Imho it would be best if Tactical Team was re-designed from scratch.
Right now, it's only used for it's utility, namely fast re-distribution of shields in PvP and PvE and fighting off Borg boarding parties in PvE.

That's the only reason you want a perma TT.

We need other/additional ways of getting rid of borg boarding parties. And I'm not counting that weak doff.
Regarding the shield re-distribution, I even think that should be replaced with something else, or changed so that manual distribution is faster and more effective.

Getting rid of that perma-TT necessity would make room for different and probably more varied builds, especialy on ships with few tactical stations.
Personally, I think more automation is needed in the game. Without macros/keybind/whatever one ends up staring at the proverbial dashboard watching cooldown timers for many things that should just be toggles that are always on/activate as soon as they are available so that you can keep your eyes on the proverbial road. When I was playing star trek bridge commander, I could semi-micromanage which subsystems were being prioritized for repair, power management was largely a simple matter of deciding where I really needed/wanted power, and if I really wanted to just go full power to everything, I would be dipping into batteries/auxiliary which would drain, and if I taxed them too heavily/too long, they'd run out and bump me down to just what my warp core could support. Other than that, winning a battle was mostly about the strategy of keeping my strong facing to the enemy while trying to stay on their weak facing, and timing when I use the torps I have built up (they would load up for launch over time, so you could fire them off as they came available, or more wisely save up and fire off a big volley for uber damage). This game has none of that, shields go down way too fast for maneuvering to present a strong facing to be a viable tactic, manual distribution is such utter crap that it won't do much at all either, and tac team is the end all be all of staying alive 99.9% of the time. Torps don't load up for a volley with the exception of the omega plasma torpedo, which is especially crappy for broadside ships because torps are completely useless when not firing, since they aren't building up rounds to fire. That plus the devs have it backwards where energy weapons are king and torps are meh, when in star trek, torps are the grand poobah.

I wouldn't mind manual distribution being best and something for us to micromanage, but only if it's a toggle, i.e. if I tell it i want all power to the fore shields, it does that until I say I want it all aft, and does that until I say I want it all in port. It would also be helpful if more powers could be placed on autofire so I don't have to mash spacebar to keep all my "background" powers cycling. If i want my emergency power to shields and emergency power to weapons up as often as they are available, I shouldn't have to mash keys or watch their timers and then click them, I should be able to put those on autofire so I can micromanage the skills that require more timing to be effective. Some people are all "you just want your ship to fly itself!" and... yeah, partly, in star trek, ships had lots of automation, and outside of that, I'm supposed to be a captain, not the only bridge officer on the bridge trying to do everyone's job. When I tell my engineer to give me emergency power to shields and weapons, they should be giving me that as often as they can until I tell them otherwise.

But enough of my rant on how we should all be keeping our eyes on the battlefield rather than playing bridge officer power whack-a-mole, or as i call it, 'pecking for powers.' I do agree that tac team is too easy button, I have made some suggestions for bringing it and other teams and manual distribution more in line instead of tac team 1 being the ultimate tanking skill... and or the devs need to tone down damage across the board, particularly spike damage so that it's in line with manual distribution and then nerf tac team so that it's auto, but only at say... half manual distribution speed.

No matter how you slice it, something needs to be done, but from listening to the last geko priority one podcast, it sounds like they have the idea that they'd like to work on old, established things, but unfortunately, they're mostly about making money and they probably find that adding new things brings in more money, so fixing old, broken mechanics takes a back seat. And it sounds like they're getting enough new players that they are willing to accept attrition of the old ones who eventually get tired of said broken mechanics and give up. That, or, as many of us have done, we just adjust to them and carry on as best we can, probably because there's really no competition to sto if you want a star trek mmo.
Republic Veteran
# 27
03-01-2014, 10:31 PM
I hull tank pretty well actually, but yes there needs to be changes to shield redistribution and TT, this huge deal for new players, as well as old.

Not only does this detract from new people wanting to try pvp, it also makes the game over micro intensive. Which ends up bind all this to one button and mash forever to win.... Making the over all game suffer as a result. It causes to many issues with game play to be continually ignored. Its not simply a point of a balance but also, as a deterrent to the overall healthy population of the game.

There needs to be less micro and only on more situation abilities and powers. This will allow people to focus on maneuvering their ship and a overall increase in competency in the user base improving the experience for everyone.

Last edited by cryptkeeper0; 03-01-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Captain
# 28
03-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Some people like to drive to work. Some people like to take the bus.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
# 29
03-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptkeeper0 View Post
I hull tank pretty well actually, but yes there needs to be changes to shield redistribution and TT, this huge deal for new players, as well as old.

Not only does this detract from new people wanting to try pvp, it also makes the game over micro intensive. Which ends up bind all this to one button and mash forever to win.... Making the over all game suffer as a result. It causes to many issues with game play to be continually ignored. Its not simply a point of a balance but also, as a deterrent to the overall healthy population of the game.

There needs to be less micro and only on more situation abilities and powers. This will allow people to focus on maneuvering their ship and a overall increase in competency in the user base improving the experience for everyone.
I remember when I got my first introduction to PVP in kerrat. I was in a crusier and i came across a gurumba that was pretty much stalking me every time it killed me, and after several attempts to kill it and tank it and failing, i decided to just, barely try to stay alive, rather than frantically try, and watch their buffs to figure out what magic was keeping them alive. And that was when i discovered the magic that is tac team. And having one skill be the ultimate tanking skill, particularly at level 1, is ridiculous. And yes, it is very detrimental to new players who have no idea. I frequently find myself asking people I see instapoping in pvp matches, "Do you have tac team?" and it's e mix of "no" or "yes" but it's one copy and you need that shiz 24/7, so they didn't realize to survive pvp spike, or even elite borg spike, you're gonna need two copies or two purple doffs.

I was also a long time opponent of keybinds, the game doesn't make that readily available for new players to easily set up with some sort of keybind making tool, they have to read the forums or the wiki about it or find someone to teach them, and the game wont' tell them that it even exists, they'll only find out if it happens to get mentioned by someone or they finally ask why everyone else is handling their plethora of powers so much better than they are. Eventually I gave in, and after I got the hang of it, it wasn't that big of a deal, but i would still appreciate more toggle/autofire capability. I would LOVE to be able to hit my spacebar every once and a while to start attacking a target/start again after a placate instead of mashing the hell out of it non-stop. Better for my computer, better for not giving me carpel tunnel. -.-
Captain
# 30
03-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post

I am sorry but until they fix the doffs I think this is bad. The dofss are one reason for the power creep in this game . YOu can stack some and not others and when you stack you literally get 100% proc rates. If I was in charge a temporary fix would be to limit one doff per proc or benefit, no more stacking. Long term fix would be look at each doff and guage whether the benefit is op'd and dial it down a hair at a a time.
Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up