Captain
A big pet peeve of mine in sto has been that torpedoes, with the exception of the omega torp, don't gain charges or rounds when not fired. I am used to playing star trek games where you can save up a few torps to fire all at once. This is how you get your volley, not from a skill like torpedo high volley (yield). So I would like to request that all torpedoes gain charges when not fired, like the omega torpedo, up to a max of 5 or so, and then torp high yield could be turned into a buff that does what it's name implies it does, which is, increase the damage of any torpedoes fired for the duration of the skill, probably with a 10 second duration. Torp spread could make it so that for every charge/round expended for its 10 second duration, you fire a torp at every target in your arc, perhaps with a max of 5 targets, maybe more depending on the level of the skill used.

In regard to the romulan hyper plasma torpedo, perhaps normal plasma torpedo launchers could be changed so that when fired with high yield they simply fire more powerful versions of normal plasma torpedoes like all other torpedoes, instead of having their torps turned into what we currently consider a "high yield" torpedo. This would make the romulan hyper plasma torpedo launcher even more unique. So the romulan hyper plasma torpedo could store charges and each charge could still consist of multiple super plasma torps. One might say: "but then it could fire a stream of 15 plasma torps!" Yes... but it can do that already with current high yield mechanics, and lets keep in mind that these torps are super slow and destructible, so they are easily avoided or destroyed.

So, lets make this a thing, please and thank you ^^
Captain
# 2
02-26-2014, 07:08 AM
Sorry, I can't say I like this idea. This would effectively eliminate Torpedo boats as a viable build type. As an example, my PvP Science Vesta uses a Hargh'Peng Torpedo Launcher, Gravimetric Torpedo Launcher, and a Romulan Hyper Plasma Torpedo Launcher fore. With what you are suggesting, not only would Projectile duty office become useless, but each of those torpedoes would monopolize the relevant fire cycle until depleted. Apart from firing a Hargh'Peng 5 times back to back to back (which would result in a explosion in excess of 120k shield bypassing damage after 20 seconds...), this would be completely undesirable for any player using more than one torpedo on a ship.
--------------------------------------------------
Real join date: March 2012
PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
Captain
# 3
02-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
Sorry, I can't say I like this idea. This would effectively eliminate Torpedo boats as a viable build type. As an example, my PvP Science Vesta uses a Hargh'Peng Torpedo Launcher, Gravimetric Torpedo Launcher, and a Romulan Hyper Plasma Torpedo Launcher fore. With what you are suggesting, not only would Projectile duty office become useless, but each of those torpedoes would monopolize the relevant fire cycle until depleted. Apart from firing a Hargh'Peng 5 times back to back to back (which would result in a explosion in excess of 120k shield bypassing damage after 20 seconds...), this would be completely undesirable for any player using more than one torpedo on a ship.
Projectile duty officers could be switched to increase the speed with which charges accumulate, or perhaps increase the maximum number of charges one can store, and if the universal cool was taken off of torpedoes, you would be able to unload all your stored charges from all your torps at once, making a torp boat even more viable, which I don't think would be OP considering the super nerf torps have against shields... though that harpang 120k through shields explosion would be a bit excessive, so perhaps a cap on how many harpang radiations can affect one target at one time. I'm not trying to eliminate the effectiveness of your build, and thanks for bringing this up so we can address it. ^^