Lt. Commander
Seriously you'd think only the crews of the Enterprise and Voyager and people from DS9 got promotions. It's always General Worf this, Admiral Janeway that, wtf happened to Admiral Nonecares? What about Lieutenant Redshirt of the USS Imgunnaesplode? It's cool to see a name dropped every now and then, its annoying when all of history is influenced by a handful of people.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I agree with this, was thinking about this just the other day. Commander Wildman? I mean seriously?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 11:29 PM
There are admiral nobodycares all over the place.. You just NOTICE the ones that are recognizable.
Confirmation bias.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Well I fly around as "*Starfleet Rank* O'Brien"......

But my real life name is Shane O'Brien....

So yeah....
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 11:55 PM
The first admiral you meet is some guy named Quinn. Besides, the two people you mention are actually important and influential: Janeway gets promoted to admiral and is high up in Starfleet, and Worf was an ambassador between two major galactic powers, and is now a very high ranking official in one of them. No small fries there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proletariat12
There are admiral nobodycares all over the place.. You just NOTICE the ones that are recognizable.
Confirmation bias.
Perhaps but they're far too influential. It feels like a Star Trek reunion some times.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone_Flavored_Gum
Perhaps but they're far too influential. It feels like a Star Trek reunion some times.
You are absolutely right, no matter what people here say. They seem to quickly forget the Path To 2409 blurbs.

Garak the head of Cardassia?
Keiko Obrien heading up agricultural rebuilding programs for them?
Grand Nagus Rom doing this and that
Geordi developing the horrible Jellyfish thing
Sela, Donatra, Taris being the only Romulan higher ups ever mentioned. I mean 2 of them were starship captains and one and admiral, how the #@W$ do you get Empress and Political leaders out of that?

They drop names like cluster bombs, hope you got a flak jacket
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Exactly, and all the interviews were done by Jake Sisko! That was totally a startrek reunion.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
You are absolutely right, no matter what people here say. They seem to quickly forget the Path To 2409 blurbs.

Garak the head of Cardassia?
Keiko Obrien heading up agricultural rebuilding programs for them?
Grand Nagus Rom doing this and that
Geordi developing the horrible Jellyfish thing
Sela, Donatra, Taris being the only Romulan higher ups ever mentioned. I mean 2 of them were starship captains and one and admiral, how the #@W$ do you get Empress and Political leaders out of that?

They drop names like cluster bombs, hope you got a flak jacket
Alright, I will admit that there are some that are silly. But keep in mind that the people in the shows were generally the best of the best, and their relatives have a bit of that rub off on them.

Garak... well, I guess that might be far fetched. He was instrumental in helping the resistance during the Dominion War, and is a pretty skilled manipulator.

Keiko O'Brien was the head of the biology lab on the Enterprise D, and was specifically a botanist, so her expertise should be pretty good. Add to that her familiarity with the region/politics from living on DS9, and it seems plausible, until you realize that she and her husband moved to Earth when he got a job at the Academy. Her son is present in the game, but he's a random scientist at Memory Alpha, so nothing special there.

Anything Rom does is sure to be perfectly acceptable, since he was made Nagus in the series, with the understanding that he would be quite the reformer.

Geordi developing the jellyfish came out of the movie prequel comic, and makes sense. Being the designer of a new space craft isn't that special, until the space craft is used in the biggest galaxy changing event ever. Otherwise, it's just a new ship.

As far as Romluan military leaders becoming political leaders, well... if you buy that Romulan society is militaristic in general, and that people in control of the military are in control of most of the power, it makes sense. I mean, the entire senate was killed in Nemesis, leaving a huge power gap for the military to take control of. Donatra was a key player in various political maneuverings in Nemesis, and Sela masterminded several plots herself in TNG. Give them some military might, a power vacuum, and their craftiness is definitely going to make them major players.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
To be fair.. JJ blew up most of them. Kinda like how Roselyn ended up President of the colonies in Galactica.