Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2010, 09:14 AM
I personally think they should stop metioning them and actually bring them into the game. I have heard so much about all the characters and the only people I can find were all children or babies at the time of the series. Why can't we actually see any of those main characters we loved from the series we just hear all about them. I know it's 30-45 years later but they should still be met by the players or even better we could get personal cloaking devices somehow travel in time and go on board the old ships although that last option seems abslutely rediculous and probablly only extreme Trekky's would like it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrod
I personally think they should stop metioning them and actually bring them into the game. I have heard so much about all the characters and the only people I can find were all children or babies at the time of the series. Why can't we actually see any of those main characters we loved from the series we just hear all about them. I know it's 30-45 years later but they should still be met by the players or even better we could get personal cloaking devices somehow travel in time and go on board the old ships although that last option seems abslutely rediculous and probablly only extreme Trekky's would like it.

In two words "Licensing Fees"
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Commander Hanner... who is that? Oh, some NPC Cryptic created for this quest.

Commander Wildman... oh cool. The little girl from Voyager.

The familiar makes people comfortable and provides a link from the past to the current universe. We did get a decade worth of stories out of these characters. It's interesting to see where they ended up.

The rest of the continuing stories from the Path to 2409 series are plausible. Except the Garak one. Seriously... Garak... a head of state?!?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2010, 09:28 AM
I thought Natima Lang was in charge of Cardassia now? (And she was only mentioned in one episode)
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
I fail to see the problem with name dropping some of the most famous people to inhabit the universe this game is based on.

It seems as though I was right, Star Trek fans will complain about anything!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashrod
Don't worry, there's at least one time travel mission that I know of... You don't board an old ship, but you fight along side it.

And, no, we should not encounter a lot of actual Star Trek characters, because a great many of them are old, or retired, or dead, and not doing anything terribly important.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
The only one that makes me facepalm at the moment is Miral Paris - I'm seriously tired of pulling her butt out of the fire every time I turn around. :| And it's never a small fire, either. Usually some big, unholy conflagration that ends up with me getting a whole new set of hull replacements installed.

Reasons like this're why I started keeping all of my nice things off the ship...
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
The familiar makes people comfortable and provides a link from the past to the current universe.
No its lazy game design. There is no story line in this game, half the missions mention something out of a Star Trek episode and the constant name dropping is just more lack of imagination.

They didn't bother to write much of a story, or at least what they had some dude create as the backstory was just a show piece most people didn't pay attention to when creating missions.

Basically if you've seen every episode of Star Trek then you will find more than half the missions annoying. The Kuva 'Mach? The reference to the Eugenics war? Wheres the original content? Worst part is the missions aren't even as deep as the episodes they so blatantly rip off.

"You must blow things up because *Something something* [insert familiar reference point that may have nothing to do with shooting things]"

I wish they'd actually craft something original in this game besides a couple ship designs.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
Sela, Donatra, Taris being the only Romulan higher ups ever mentioned. I mean 2 of them were starship captains and one and admiral, how the #@W$ do you get Empress and Political leaders out of that?
To be fair, this is largely a continuation from where the Star Trek fiction is taking things.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
To quote the best Star Trek movie ever made:

"Did you guys even WATCH the show?!"

With a handful of exceptions, we never saw Ensign Ramirez from Astrometrics team up with Crewman Skorek from Life Sciences and save the day. It was always about the Big Three or Picard and Data or Janeway and Seven. The only show to break out of that mold (to some extent) was DS9.

That these same characters have gone on to become movers and shakers in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants makes perfect sense to me.