Lt. Commander
# 91
10-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperct View Post
Awesome, I really like the models, just awesome.

I have but one complaint - the hair sucks. It looks way too plastic and fake, compared to the rest of the model. It's really noticeable on the Andorian and the Vulcan in particular, and it's not as bad on the human. The Klingon-like..thing...also looks really plasticish, hairwise.

Can't wait for beta - my wife and I excel at art-related feedback She'd probably be able write a three page post about just what's wrong with that hair(I think that was the size of her critique on hair color and texture saturation in lotro), but would need to have the chargen available to consult

Just from what I see there, the hair just looks like plastic, or putty, that just got slapped onto their heads. I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it. Perhaps more robust textures, and cutting back on specular lighting in the hair.

I really hope it moves, too. Doesn't have to sway or whip around or be all Physics, but a bit of bouncing when moving adds a TON to immersion. A dozen little things like that add up to making the game better - trust me, you notice when stuff like that is missing(especially when you come from another game), because it makes the characters feel less developed and polished.

Same goes for the game world itself, in terms of little fluff and details that flesh it out.

Wonder if the eyes move around in the sockets. Looking around and stuff...that's always awesome in games.
Have to agree with SniperCT, the hair does need an overhaul. Guess I was so smitten by the detail in the face that I overlooked it.

I can see that the edges of the hair needs better alpha blending, and the specular lighting is a bit much. But shiny is how hair is, but the specular highlight is to large. It needs to be smaller and toned down. And using texture layers do wonders for hair. Hair almost need 2 layers of well alpha blended textures to give a soft feel. But what I think would do the most good is a increase in texture resolution, where finer hair strands. Right now they look like greased clumps of hair. And a higher res lightmap/bumpmap would be good.

But I think games could start benefiting from pixel shaded hair.
Lt. Commander
# 92 They look the same!
10-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Come on guys! They all look alike! Their mouths all make the same expression. Whats up with that?
Lt. Commander
# 93
10-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
Will I be able to have a purple haired human? Because that would be absolutely sweet, even though it breaks canon.
They dont have hair dye in the future? hehe
Lt. Commander
# 94
10-14-2008, 06:35 AM
The character creation examples are very nice. I am quite impressed!

Will there be any variations in costume design? I understand there will be fleet uniforms that are likely required, but will there be 'off-duty' outfit possibilities?
Lt. Commander
# 95
10-14-2008, 09:08 AM
The screenshots may not be new (considering the faces, as I understand it, was in the magazine), it's new in terms of being officially posted for the forums.

That way those who don't/can't/unable to get the magazine could still see them.

I'm sure that there will be some screenshots coming our way that'll have their public debut on the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 96
10-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgrfn11 View Post
They dont have hair dye in the future? hehe
For a while, hair dye was considered to be taboo. So people rebelled and thus started the Hair Wars!
Lt. Commander
# 97
10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
I've got to say, the screens really impressed me. I hope they look just like that at release!
Lt. Commander
# 98 awesome
10-14-2008, 08:22 PM
they look real good but I would like to see some more screens soon, maybe some ship interiors or something.
Lt. Commander
# 99
10-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Looking at the character model shot again, I noticed that the Red haired blue skinned Romulan has a teal shirt, not blue like the Vulcan pictured in my avatar. Could this possibly mean we have a choice as to colors for the shirts?
Lt. Commander
# 100
10-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Wooh yeah baby keep em coming !