Lt. Commander
# 1 Grouping with lower levels
02-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Now I now there is no 'sidekicking' in STO, and i know that when you group up with a lower level any missions spawn more mobs, but what i want to know is what determines this?

If i group up for a lvl 7 mission (as as Cmdr) will the mission just spawn more mobs or higher level mobs?
and is it my char level that determines this or is it the number of ships in the group or the level of ships in the group?

Can i jump back in my starter ship (with better weapons) to lessen the number/lvl of mobs in a mission?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 12:44 AM
That's a great question. Someone who's not at work want to try it and report back?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 01:00 AM
In open beta, when I was helping out my lower level friend, more squad appeared and there was two bosses instead of one, but shouldn't really be a challenge against a higher player.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Yesterday I joined my Lieutenant 3 friends with my little Lieutenant 6 char, for some missions... the ships that spawned where tuned around me so they had a hard time doing much to the +3 opponents. The reward for killing them was the same for me and them for +4 to +5 Skill / Battle Ship. I would much have preferred if it was actually more ships instead of Harder once.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 02:12 AM
im sure in beta they had a sidekicking thing in place , but since open beta i cant seem to find it, was something like they way done it in CO, is there an Sidekicking feature still in there that im overlooking ?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 02:51 AM
I was in a group with a few people about twenty-39 levels below me, for guild foundation, yesterday.
Later they started asking why there are so many battleships at their missions...
As a side note: i did NOT help them with their missions...
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Had a similar thing, where there were 4 of us in the group, only two of us in the instance, and the groups were larger and geared to our level or a little higher.

Another instance where I was grouped with a higher level, and they were geared to his level.

I would say that number in the group (mostly) determines group size you encounter, and highest level, or average level, determines mob level with a ceiling (so level 40 mobs won't spawn if you have a level 40 and level 5 in the group, but you might see level 10 or 15)

No firm testing on this though.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 03:21 AM
more mobs spawn regardless of whether your team-mates are in the map.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 03:22 AM
I haven't seen any impact that your levels have on the enemies that appear. I've gone into old missions and smacked around enemies without worry, since they seem stuck at their old levels. I've even put off doing some missions, then start them when I'm completely overleveled for the area and just breeze through.

What does impact enemy numbers, and their level, is the size of your group. More members means more enemies, and their toughness may go up as well. Now, here's where it gets a bit funky- This increase happens even if the rest of your group is in a different map. A few experiments revealed that the enemy numbers and toughness are set on warp-in, so if you happen to be in a group when you warp into the map, you get the enhanced enemies even if you then drop the group. This can be good if you want a challenge, but if you just happen to have a group for chatting and didn't know this, you'll get some unpleasant surprises. I've yet to test what happens if you enter the map ungrouped, then get a few fellows to join a group, though I suspect that it would be useless as they wouldn't be able to reach your instance of the mission map.

This only applies to maps that "lock," meaning that people can't randomly pop in during the middle of the action. Missions and PvP queue matches fall under this category, enemy signal contacts and fleet actions do not.

I suppose this means that there really is no benefit or penalty for grouping with people above or below your level, as all benefits and penalties I've observed only relate to the size of your group. The downside to this system is that you can't gather up a bunch of buddies and go take down a mission that's far beyond what any of you are supposed to be able to do. Indeed, the game itself limits this by keeping the more advanced missions locked until you level up enough for them to appear.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 03:38 AM
I'm fond of the mentoring system used in EQ2. The higher level characters mentor down with an experience penalty. But the lower leveled characters acquire a slight boost in adventure experience. Are Sidekicks the Champions Online variation on this theme?

Either way, I think a mentoring system of some kind would be fun. I would suggest calling them a Training Cruise Mission. Higher ranked officers taking time to boost the skills of those from the lower-decks. IMO, it seems a logical fit with the environment.