Republic Veteran
# 1 pando media booster
02-27-2014, 01:11 AM
hey all.

any one know much about this?? I've never heard of it before. it popped up asking me to install when I tried to launch sto. it actually looked convincing claiming to boost download speeds for games. also had almost every game owed by PWE/cryptic in it's artwork. I declined the chance to install it. looked it up and found this

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02...rowser-hijack/

also the wiki isn't about don't put my mind at ease either

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(application)
Captain
# 2
02-27-2014, 01:16 AM
It's bloatware that hogs as much bandwidth from you as possible. It can be a pain to get rid of, and is pathetically prolific in a lot of "Free to Play" games.

You did the right thing to not install it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2014, 01:18 AM
It's bloatware that came with one of the version of STO. Delete it.
Captain
# 4
02-27-2014, 01:19 AM
My advice, run a virus scan through your computer.

No application, no install request, absolutely nothing is supposed to go online when you launch STO. All that might happen onoccasion is prepatching.

I'd say you made a nice decision to decline the change. Never install anything you did not search for yourself. All the other stuff is either spy- or malware.

Just for my personal "mind-at-ease" setting: did you launch through the standalone launcher, through Arc or through Steam? Just so I know what to keep my eye on.
Not knowing something isn't a sign of stupidity, not asking is.
WE NEED THE EXCELSIOR ERA BRIDGES INGAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Undine of Ganalda - a forum light RP game
Proud leader of Delta Task Force
Career Officer
# 5
02-27-2014, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzagiow View Post
hey all.

any one know much about this?? I've never heard of it before. it popped up asking me to install when I tried to launch sto. it actually looked convincing claiming to boost download speeds for games. also had almost every game owed by PWE/cryptic in it's artwork. I declined the chance to install it. looked it up and found this

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02...rowser-hijack/

also the wiki isn't about don't put my mind at ease either

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_(application)
Uninstall it. From the massively article you linked to
Quote:
Fortunately PMB died a well-deserved death in August of 2013, but those of you who may have unintentionally left it lurking on your machine should be aware of a security risk masquerading as a Pando update.
Here is the proper wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pando_Media_Booster
Quote:
Pando shut down its servers and ceased business on August 31, 2013.
Go into your add/remove programs and uninstall it, or find the folder for it and use its own uninstaller. After it's uninstalled, do a search on your hard drive for 'pando' and delete anything left over. Also run a thorough virus and spyware scan.
Republic Veteran
# 6
02-27-2014, 01:23 AM
it popped up again. so I searched the hard drive for 'pando' and several files came up. virus scan never showed them as bad however. these pop ups have never happened until today and I've literally been no where on the net. other than so called 'trusted' places. I did an adobe update. sto web site/forums and hit sto launcher and it started from there.
Career Officer
# 7
02-27-2014, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzagiow View Post
it popped up again. so I searched the hard drive for 'pando' and several files came up. virus scan never showed them as bad however. these pop ups have never happened until today and I've literally been no where on the net. other than so called 'trusted' places. I did an adobe update. sto web site/forums and hit sto launcher and it started from there.
It must have been placed on your system from somewhere else then. Maybe another MMO?

It was said in May 2013, when this whole Arc thing was first announced, that Arc will NOT have Pando in it.

And as you can see, as of August 2013, Pando went out of business.

How long have you had the game installed before Arc?

Before they changed new downloads of STO to include Arc only, the old STO downloader/installer did in fact contain Pando (the direct download option).

Back around March 2013 (pre Arc) I had to reinstall the game. I opted for the direct download and when I went to start it, the first thing that popped up was that I had to install Pando first. The other option at the time was a bit torrent download, which I opted for and it did not contain Pando.

So if you installed the game somewhere around March or April of 2013, and haven't reinstalled it since then, there is a chance that this is where you got Pando.

Edit: It's possible somehow you got a malicious version of Pando on your system from somewhere and it is in your Windows registry. You said you searched and found files but didn't delete anything. Like I said, uninstall it if you can then after searching for it on your system, delete all the files you find.

If you delete all files related to Pando on your system and it still pops up, then you do a search and find more files, or it just keeps popping up, all I can say is that it's most likely in your Windows registry. If that's the case don't do anything with the registry unless you know what you're doing (I know nothing about how to mess with that without breaking anything).

Unless you know what you're doing and can modify your Window's registry, worse case scenerio; format your hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Last edited by monkeybone13; 02-27-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 8
02-27-2014, 02:06 AM
Not installed any games recently. As I pretty much play just sto or tor and that's it. I currently don't have arc either. But have been to the arc games pages. I'm fairly set in my ways and only update what I have. And only update what I need to. Don't add anything unneeded etc. like I said previously I hit the sto stand alone launcher whichever as installed on this PC well over a year ago. The art work from the pop up installer had some very convincing up to date pwe art work for sto champions neverwinter and lots of there other games.

I think I'm slowly getting the stuff removed. It's own uninstalled actually did nothing. Which worries me even more since it wanted to restart. Then to discover it removed nothing. Or at least nothing obvious. I'll keep hacking at it until it's dead.

Thank you all for your help
Career Officer
# 9
02-27-2014, 03:05 AM
Damn. I'd swear that Pando thing was part of the programs that came with windows 8.1 on my new notebook before I downloaded my games onto it.

Maybe I'm wrong tho.

It's gone now.
C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\banner11.jpg
Captain
# 10
02-27-2014, 03:46 AM
I recommend a little tool named "adwcleaner" ( http://general-changelog-team.fr/en/...e/2-adwcleaner ). It should clear your system of pando and other ad- and bloatware you might have.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh