Lt. Commander
# 101
02-05-2010, 08:18 AM
We aim to please.

Maversims you have, as always, intrigued me. Is it perhaps the innate distaste men have for sharing their hobbies/pasttimes/careers/interests with people of the "gentler sex" (i love that phrase). The prospect perhaps of a man discovering that a woman can be as good at, if not better than them at a given thing? I am familiar with the concept of men feeling threatened by women taking over something, but I was under the impression that we had grown past that.

I shoul perhaps also point out that I was a member of a mixed gender guild for many many years and it was a succesful one in terms of the community it built. We used Ventrilo and it with the exception of certain people who I shall not name it was a free and open environment with a very positive impact on my enjoyment of the game. There are some people male and female who I miss having contact with now that I no longer play.

Like the man says, its not about who you are, its how you play the game. And you could be a gelatinous cube for all I care so long as you enjoy yourself, play the game in the best spirit and laugh at all my jokes.

I'm thinking I may need a coffee as well, the tea just isnt doing it for me today. Think I shall get out the captains mug again.
Lt. Commander
# 102
02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidfish View Post
It requires a certain level of comfort with one's own sexuality and also with other people's. I am willing to admit that on occasion I have found traits in other men that I found attractive. Not on a physical level, but an intellectual one, which is what the internet is about. I can understand people finding this troubling. I do not, I am happily married to a wonderful woman who I happened to meet whilst playing WoW.

Certainly I think that if more men were willing to see things in these terms there may be less hostility on the net.

Anyway, Earl Grey with a dash of lemon?

Bravo.

Gender and identity on the internet has become a fluid concept, and assumptions and preconcieved notions are far more likely to bite one on the posterior than out in the world. Grasping the idea that appearances are the *last* thing one should take into account when interacting with people on the internet is difficult for quite a few people.

Or, to put it another way...

There be dragons here.
Lt. Commander
# 103
02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:
We aim to please.

Maversims you have, as always, intrigued me. Is it perhaps the innate distaste men have for sharing their hobbies/pasttimes/careers/interests with people of the "gentler sex" (i love that phrase). The prospect perhaps of a man discovering that a woman can be as good at, if not better than them at a given thing? I am familiar with the concept of men feeling threatened by women taking over something, but I was under the impression that we had grown past that.

I shoul perhaps also point out that I was a member of a mixed gender guild for many many years and it was a succesful one in terms of the community it built. We used Ventrilo and it with the exception of certain people who I shall not name it was a free and open environment with a very positive impact on my enjoyment of the game. There are some people male and female who I miss having contact with now that I no longer play.

Like the man says, its not about who you are, its how you play the game. And you could be a gelatinous cube for all I care so long as you enjoy yourself, play the game in the best spirit and laugh at all my jokes.

I'm thinking I may need a coffee as well, the tea just isnt doing it for me today. Think I shall get out the captains mug again.
Yes, one of the factors is gender distrust. It goes both ways, so I hesitate to describe it as men feeling threatened by women. I suspect, but can't prove that it is deeper issue in which each gender simply views the other as alien. The is gender specific, not sex. Whatever gender a person identifies with, they tend to view the opposite gender with suspicion.

Essentially, anyone serious about no women on teh webs is likely worried that a woman or faux-woman will use him in some way, and preemptively declaring that there are no women to insulate himself from the threat.

(Women, otoh, find the question distasteful because they can't imagine any valid reason that they're gender should matter, for the most part, and thus attribute some prurient reasoning to the guy who asked,)

The second reason is frustration. To a certain extent we all want to meet someone "real." But meeting "real" people on the net is pretty rare. The fact that it is equally rare in real life is typically lost on people.

These are not the actual reasons either But it's worth noting that homophobia is much more violent in action. The real reasons people do things are based on the attitude of the individual. Models like this are useful for predicting behavior and showing how groups can be using the same method to come to differing conclusions, but there's really no way to read a person's mind.
Lt. Commander
# 104
02-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhddva View Post
fair enough, yes I am one
a remarkable
sexy
intelligent
and oh so rare.........female gamer who loves star trek
lol -love this comment and your sense of humor - you go girl !! -

Same goes for "Chat" love the wit you display

Sorry - I got to add this one too, love some of the girl humors that is flying around, - girl power rock

Quote:
'm a girl, and frankly, I'm not really worried about whether or not someone is a guy or girl. I'm more worried that the Klingon that just schooled me is a 12 year old. :-)
These comments made my day today.. laughing so hard - keep it up

I need persons like these with a sense or humor watching my six - hope you guys are the Fed side, if you are - handle is "qusar-tare" give a shout out !.
Lt. Commander
# 105
02-05-2010, 08:48 AM
it smells like eHarmony in here....

/sigh
Lt. Commander
# 106
02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I found this thread far more interesting than I expected it to be when I clicked on an 11-pager titled along the lines of "Are there any giiiiiirls there?" I really didn't hope to find anything intelligent within. So... Bravo, Internet. Bravo.

And before people think I can be serious, let me ruin this post.

I have a pee pee.

There. That should do it.
Lt. Commander
# 107
02-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Yes indeed, given that a person's behaviour is a product of any number of factors, the possiblity of accurately defining the behaviour of a group is negligible. But it was an enjoyable exercise nonetheless. I would think that any of the factors put forward could be in evidence in any combination in any individual, but the governing force behind anyone's behaviour is that person's individual personality. I wonder, though, if it is perhaps possible to apply theories of mob behaviour to subsets of people on the internet. There are certain parallels I think to how certain people on the forums respond to server crashes and such. I'd be intrigued to see the gender breakdown of people posting in those threads simply because human behaviour fascinates me, and I do believe that gender is a factor in response. Not necessarily the governing factor, but a factor nonetheless.

I must say its refreshing to be able to have an intelligent convseration with a group of fellow gamers. My experiences with WoW were, shall we say, less than encouraging.
Lt. Commander
# 108
02-05-2010, 08:55 AM
This thread is full of win.
Lt. Commander
# 109
02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddlez View Post
This thread is full of win.
Also tea and coffee, would you like some?
Lt. Commander
# 110
02-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Yes indeed, given that a person's behaviour is a product of any number of factors, the possiblity of accurately defining the behaviour of a group is negligible. But it was an enjoyable exercise nonetheless. I would think that any of the factors put forward could be in evidence in any combination in any individual, but the governing force behind anyone's behaviour is that person's individual personality. I wonder, though, if it is perhaps possible to apply theories of mob behaviour to subsets of people on the internet. There are certain parallels I think to how certain people on the forums respond to server crashes and such. I'd be intrigued to see the gender breakdown of people posting in those threads simply because human behaviour fascinates me, and I do believe that gender is a factor in response. Not necessarily the governing factor, but a factor nonetheless.

I must say its refreshing to be able to have an intelligent convseration with a group of fellow gamers. My experiences with WoW were, shall we say, less than encouraging.
I'm not as familiar with mob vs group behavior. I know there are differences. My innate sense of the absurd is demanding that I digress into a drawn out pontification about the difference between in-group social response and the organizational structure of the Mafia, but I doubt it would be as funny as it sounds in my head.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say a mob is a group without a common core belief or other idea to act as social glue. Usually the mob has a common catalyst that ignites it's motion, but the individuals don't feel any responsibility to connection to the group. They simply see an opportunity to express themselves en mass. If that's right then I'd say the "server down" threads are mobs of a sort.

As it is, I'm not at all against modeling behavior. It's fun and instructional. I'm just careful not assume the negative interpretation is the correct one. (I make an exception for politicians.) Doing so is prejudicial, and while it is impossible to avoid prejudice in one's attitudes, it's always possible to check and double check one's self before acting on those prejudices.