Lt. Commander
# 21
02-05-2010, 04:37 AM
it takes 30 seconds to log back into the game when you're ready to play...
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-05-2010, 04:40 AM
My main concern about the AFK timer is seeing people hang out in Club 47. I can only hope that in the future, people will stand there long enough on their own past the 15 minute timer in hopes that other people will come along and start a conversation. Otherwise you have people coming and going and not really anyone staying.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-05-2010, 04:45 AM
Great, you have a lifetime account... so do many other people, including myself. Everyone else is still paying so it's not all about you, get over it. And i don't want to be waiting at the loading screen because someone is busy surfing the net and not even playing the game. Or even if a player is AFK spamming messages about STO Gold with macro's while enjoying surfing the web.

The server is overloaded at the moment so perhaps when bandwidth isn't so much at a premium they might tweak the clock a bit, but until then I agree with the other posters, quit clogging the drain.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limulus
My main concern about the AFK timer is seeing people hang out in Club 47. I can only hope that in the future, people will stand there long enough on their own past the 15 minute timer in hopes that other people will come along and start a conversation. Otherwise you have people coming and going and not really anyone staying.
You know, if this were really that much of a priority to you, maybe start a chat channel called Club 47? Then, you could coordinate with people in the different instances, and all meet up at Club 47? Then, you don't have to worry about the AFK timer kicking in, while you wait for someone in your own instance.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Jean_Deaux,
Yes, you are exactly right. The cause of queues is the 100 or so RPers who may go AFK dancing. : /
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyrogers
You know, if this were really that much of a priority to you, maybe start a chat channel called Club 47? Then, you could coordinate with people in the different instances, and all meet up at Club 47? Then, you don't have to worry about the AFK timer kicking in, while you wait for someone in your own instance.
That's actually a good idea. Not sure how to get people to join the channel though.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Out of curiousity.. those of you who would like to stay in game while not actually playing.. what is your reason for wanting to stay logged in? What is the purpose for being logged on when you aren't even playing? I'm not attempting to flame here or anything.. I genuinely want to understand why its important to you to be able to stay logged in while not actively playing the game, etc.

The title of the thread mentions socialization.. but how does one socialize while AFK?

I'd like to hear the full argument from those wanting the timer removed, because its not likely to happen if its just "because I want it that way", so what are some valid reasons?
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynthe
Out of curiousity.. those of you who would like to stay in game while not actually playing.. what is your reason for wanting to stay logged in? What is the purpose for being logged on when you aren't even playing? I'm not attempting to flame here or anything.. I genuinely want to understand why its important to you to be able to stay logged in while not actively playing the game, etc.

The title of the thread mentions socialization.. but how does one socialize while AFK?

I'd like to hear the full argument from those wanting the timer removed, because its not likely to happen if its just "because I want it that way", so what are some valid reasons?
Ok for example, you park your character in Club 47. Lets say 10 people park their characters there with the hope that more people will show up later to chat, dance, whatever. In other MMOs, Goldshire, Cantina, wherever you park your avatar and other people will eventually show up and start socializing while some will be on/off AFK. This is not a new concept. It's been in almost every MMO I have ever seen.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-05-2010, 05:29 AM
So if I understand it correctly, you're going AFK simply because you're waiting for others to arrive so that you have the opportunity to socialize. You're wanting Club 47, Quark's Bar, Club K7, etc to become social hubs (and I'd guess Risa, Vulcan, Andoria as well), but its hard to get people to start hanging out there if they don't already see others there waiting to hang out and socialize, and if the game keeps kicking you out from going AFK, then people have less chance to see others to socialize with.

For the record, given that reason, you've got my vote for a longer duration AFK timer while in designated social areas. The reason I say increase the duration is because, if the intent is to socialize, then one should also be making an intent to socialize with players who stop by or pass through. You would think occasionally you'd turn your camera to see if you missed someone coming in, or occasionally mentioned something in Zone Chat trying to draw others to the area (at least until these areas start becoming social hubs on their own.) Also, as mentioned above, creating chat channels designated for those areas might be a good idea and help to draw others to the area.

Most importantly though, everyone is out leveling right now.. the game is fresh and its all new to them. Eventually, they'll find their way to the social areas once the newness wears off. But if you truly want people to start using those areas sooner, you're going to have to be a bit more active in doing so. Sitting their AFK while you web surf most likely isn't likely to encourage anyone to stop and chat with you (and who's to say they didn't try, but you were too busy reading threads??)

Long story short.. I agree, you should have a little more leeway with the AFK timer in areas meant for social gathering.. but you're also going to have to do some of the work yourself and not expect it to just come to you.. that's my two credits on the subject.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynthe
So if I understand it correctly, you're going AFK simply because you're waiting for others to arrive so that you have the opportunity to socialize. You're wanting Club 47, Quark's Bar, Club K7, etc to become social hubs (and I'd guess Risa, Vulcan, Andoria as well), but its hard to get people to start hanging out there if they don't already see others there waiting to hang out and socialize, and if the game keeps kicking you out from going AFK, then people have less chance to see others to socialize with.

For the record, given that reason, you've got my vote for a longer duration AFK timer while in designated social areas. The reason I say increase the duration is because, if the intent is to socialize, then one should also be making an intent to socialize with players who stop by or pass through. You would think occasionally you'd turn your camera to see if you missed someone coming in, or occasionally mentioned something in Zone Chat trying to draw others to the area (at least until these areas start becoming social hubs on their own.) Also, as mentioned above, creating chat channels designated for those areas might be a good idea and help to draw others to the area.

Most importantly though, everyone is out leveling right now.. the game is fresh and its all new to them. Eventually, they'll find their way to the social areas once the newness wears off. But if you truly want people to start using those areas sooner, you're going to have to be a bit more active in doing so. Sitting their AFK while you web surf most likely isn't likely to encourage anyone to stop and chat with you (and who's to say they didn't try, but you were too busy reading threads??)

Long story short.. I agree, you should have a little more leeway with the AFK timer in areas meant for social gathering.. but you're also going to have to do some of the work yourself and not expect it to just come to you.. that's my two credits on the subject.
Ya, you said it pretty well. When the game is back up and running, I am going to look into setting up a chat channel for Club 47.