Career Officer
# 11
02-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmacdougal View Post
Wow, shame on the lot (including Cryptic/PWE?) for using such software. I actually remember browsing the web a couple years ago and PMB was showing-up under my NoScript. I kept wondering what it was and I later found-out that it kept changing my DNS address assignments on my system. My brain immediately thought of the 6th level of fatness and I got rid of that thing like a refrigerator science project.
Actually it was about May 2013 when all new STO downloads required you to install Arc, or shortly after that month. Cryptic said at the time that Arc doesn't contain Pando because players were worried it did. I installed Arc in January 2014 to finally give it a try and I checked my system yesterday and didn't find a trace of Pando anywhere. So I think it's safe to say Cryptic doesn't use Pando anymore, especially like you said, Pando went out of business last summer.
Career Officer
# 12
02-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwecaptainsmirk View Post
Greetings!

As gamers ourselves, we’re always looking out for our players. We wanted to let you know that recent tech reports indicate that Pando Media Booster, which was shut down by Pando in August of 2013, has been hijacked and is masquerading as needing an update that actually contains a browser virus.

Take a look to see if you have Pando Media Booster installed on your computer, and if you do, we recommend that you uninstall it. You can do so via the 'Uninstall a Program' interface in your control panel (or, if you’re on XP, via 'Add/Remove Programs').

We’ll see you in-game!

- The PWE Team
I don't have Pando Media Booster on my system, and as you guys have said in the past, Arc didn't come with it. But could you please update your OP to let everybody know once in for all that Cryptic no longer uses Pando?

Thanks for warning about it though, even though it was reported elsewhere on the internet already.
Career Officer
# 13
02-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybone13 View Post
But could you please update your OP to let everybody know once in for all that Cryptic no longer uses Pando?
One would think that would be clear from the context of the OP...wait, this is the STO forums...yeah, probably better to put that in giant letters.

And might I add, thanks to Trevor for the public service announcement!
You're right. The work here is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
Captain
# 14
02-28-2014, 09:57 PM
The Mac client had an unannounced update yesterday, and someone received an update for it today, is there a possibility these events could be connected?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1036941
Career Officer
# 15
03-01-2014, 01:15 AM
that explains where that spyware came from then since I was racking my brains to what I had installed lately that was filled with spyware...

Trevor - Is it not worth pushing out an ingame mail relating to this as there will be many users not active on the forums and may miss this information.
Captain
# 16
03-01-2014, 10:19 AM
I scanned for viruses, it said there was none.. I didn't update Pando. Is it hiding? O_o
I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurato2099
Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
03-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Smirk, thanks for the alert. May Panda Media Booster burn in peace.

Oh, and feel free to say no when Bran want to "join" you under the desk again (yeah, I saw and heard him laughing yesterday).
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Lieutenant
# 18
03-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Just checked the desktop and sure enough i still had it installed. I'll make sure to pass this info around
Captain
# 19
03-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Back in the day, when I first downloaded these games, Pando was indeed included; on advice from forumites at the time, I nuked that crap the frak off my drive the moment it finished. Now I'm very happy I paid attention.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 20
03-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Wait... since when was pando media booster not malware? lol Seriously tho I hated that **** and uninstalled it immediately after whatever needed it was done installing.