Lt. Commander
# 1 Little touches (DS9)
02-05-2010, 05:40 AM
I've been rather happy with many of the little touches that are in the game. References to old episodes, Leonard Nimoy's in-character non-narration voice briefly in one particular mission, the ability to buy runabouts on DS9.

But is there any reason why the Deep Space Nine theme song doesn't start playing when you enter its system?

They nailed the look of the station, but approaching it just doesn't have the right feel without that song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp0T6zYByM
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rive-Caedo
I've been rather happy with many of the little touches that are in the game. References to old episodes, Leonard Nimoy's in-character non-narration voice briefly in one particular mission, the ability to buy runabouts on DS9.

But is there any reason why the Deep Space Nine theme song doesn't start playing when you enter its system?

They nailed the look of the station, but approaching it just doesn't have the right feel without that song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp0T6zYByM
Licensing. They've not used any of Jerry Goldmith's, Dennis McCarthy's or James Horner's music in the game because of licensing rights. It can get quite costly. Thoguh, I am sure Bear McCreary (BSG) or Greg Edmonson (Firefly) would have done it since they both are establishing game score track records
The only "standard issue" music I've heard in the game, before muting the music altogether, was the classic Star Trek opening.
Lt. Commander
# 3 theme song
02-05-2010, 05:52 AM
Cryptic probably has to license indiviual "theme"s from the Star Trek "Corporation/Trdemark/Monopoly" (whatever).

It's probably a financial decision. When you get into music rights less than 25 yr.s old they can be quite pricey. It would be nice a nice touch though.

(pure speculation on my part, but thats my guess)
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenYi
Cryptic probably has to license indiviual "theme"s from the Star Trek "Corporation/Trdemark/Monopoly" (whatever).

It's probably a financial decision. When you get into music rights less than 25 yr.s old they can be quite pricey. It would be nice a nice touch though.

(pure speculation on my part, but thats my guess)
The very fact that they added the "Music Player" support that can be run in-game tells me that they realised more people would be playing the music they wanted in the background. Might as well save on those costs. I, for one, own all the Star Trek Soundtracks (legally even!). I have them and my Doctor Who Soundtracks on my playlist when I play STO (and yes, "This Is Gallifrey" somehow fits REALLY well into the game).

Your speculation as to individual rights is pretty much spot-on, though. It's REALLY pricey, especially when there have been so many composers for Star Trek series' and movies.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Ok, totally off topic, and really goofy . . . but when I read 'Little Touches' my mind instantly showed me a pixie with a rapier . . . 'Touche!' o_O
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 05:57 AM
A little off topic, and not really a genuine gripe (just in case I'm set upon for it), but I always wondered how Nimoy Spock can be speaking from 'beyoooond the graaaaaaave' about events in a universe he's no longer in. LOL I mean, in the Tutorial, I'm sure he even mentions himself entering a temporal rift (or something) after the destruction of Romulus...then continues on about events leading up to 2409!

Does Spock Prime eventually return, perhaps?!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknob
Ok, totally off topic, and really goofy . . . but when I read 'Little Touches' my mind instantly showed me a pixie with a rapier . . . 'Touche!' o_O
No need to call Sulu names....
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 07:14 AM
I suppose it is, perhaps, a licensing issue.

Though that seems a bit odd. Surely CBS Studios has the license to distribute Star Trek songs in association with Star Trek and surely they could grant Cryptic this right for a Star Trek game? O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBriton
A little off topic, and not really a genuine gripe (just in case I'm set upon for it), but I always wondered how Nimoy Spock can be speaking from 'beyoooond the graaaaaaave' about events in a universe he's no longer in. LOL I mean, in the Tutorial, I'm sure he even mentions himself entering a temporal rift (or something) after the destruction of Romulus...then continues on about events leading up to 2409!

Does Spock Prime eventually return, perhaps?!
It is a bit odd that he's speaking from an essentially omnipresent position. He's in character, but he's also speaking about events he's not around for. Still, that is what it is. Emphasized by the line "Time does not stop for one man."

I don't personally find it a problem. The same way I wouldn't find it a problem if William Shatner was doing in character narration despite being dead (not just the more minor inconvenience of being in another timeline like Spock ). It's more of a "What would this character say about these events if they were relating them to you?" than "What are this character's literal thoughts on the matter?"
Lt. Commander
# 9 Mp3
02-05-2010, 07:45 AM
So what I did to rectify this problem;
I downloaded about an hour and a half of Sci Fi movie and TV themes onto my ipod touch and made a playlist. The game has an Ipod interface that I can control the tracks with. I got songs like The Red Dwarf theme, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Original Battlestar Galactica, Aliens Vrs Predator, Different Star Wars Songs, The Silver Surfer, The theme from 1st Superman movie, and last but not least most of the Star Trek movie and TV show themes.

Obviously everyone here won't want to spend the extra $25 or so to make their own soundtrack but it's pretty easy to do if you want to. The cool thing is that you can adjust the sound settings in the game so that your MP3's are just soundtrack and you can hear all of the special effects and voice work over them. While it's maybe not the solution for everyone it's made the game a lot more fun for me.

Have fun!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinkevzer View Post
So what I did to rectify this problem;
I downloaded about an hour and a half of Sci Fi movie and TV themes onto my ipod touch and made a playlist. The game has an Ipod interface that I can control the tracks with...

Have fun!
And that, my friends, is the way to true Trek bliss!

Now if they only added customization, say play Song X when I enter Sector Y.

Sirius Sector gets TNG theme song.
Sol sector gets the Enterprise theme song
DS9 gets the DS9 theme song.
The Delta Quadrant gets Voyager theme song.
what else can you come up with. I imagine the soundtracks from the movies would come in REAL handy here!