Lt. Commander
A simple question. It seems there are two dominant ways people are playing the game, and I just wanted to toss out a quick poll about it. I'm very curious to see the responses.

===

Which of the two would you describe as your goal with STO:

The Journey - Playing the game for the story, the setting, visuals, and so on. You'd probably say that it is better to take your time and enjoy the game, and would consider yourself more immersed in the lore/universe.

The Destination - Playing the game for the mechanics, the combat, crunching the numbers, maximizing your stats, etc. You'd probably say that you want to get to endgame as fast as you can because you want your ship to be the best possible, and would pride yourself on your rapid progress and superior equipment/gear/BOs.

http://snappoll.com/poll/323461.php (Please forgive the ads, as I had to go to an external site since I could not find a way to create a poll here on the forums).

===

I have to congratulate anyone willing to put the time and effort in to level quickly. I also respect those taking it slow and trying to take it all in. The player base as a whole is pretty amazing in this game, and my hats off to all who are enjoying it regardless of how you play.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
It should have another option of "All of the above". If the leveling isn't fun I'll never get to the endgame. If the endgame isn't fun why bother leveling. You have to treat both with importance and make sure both are complete and fun.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 10:33 AM
To me, the entire game is important. Leveling should not be a chore, which is why I prefer a skill based system over a level based system.

From minute 1 should be fun with an exciting enough end game full of different things to do that you should not get bored. This is why I dont prefer games like World of Boredcraft and I do prefer games with a good siege system in place which gives the population as a whole endless months of enjoyment attacking, defending and capturing land and resources.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenullity View Post
It should have another option of "All of the above". If the leveling isn't fun I'll never get to the endgame. If the endgame isn't fun why bother leveling. You have to treat both with importance and make sure both are complete and fun.
Agreed. Right now leveling.
Later the endgame.
And leveling an alt will become something I do as a change of pace for fun
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I like both.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraigUK View Post
I like both.
Ditto
both is great
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Normally I would say leveling, but since there are so few characters slots, I will say End Game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 10:46 AM
The journey is everything.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Although I'd lean towards end-game (as that's what retains people long term), its a balance.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2010, 10:51 AM
end game determines how much time and momentum I put into levelings.