Lt. Commander
# 21
02-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurangzeb
Despite all of these complaints, those hordes of starship captains are quite happy. They may not have many different things to do, and the missions and UI may be rather buggy, but there does seem to be enough content to sustain them - at least until the endgame - and even at its worst that content is knockabout fun with more instant appeal, and more suitability for casual, short-session, low-commitment play than most MMOs.

Man, I just love it when publications talk down to me! The condescension in that last paragraph is palpable.
They say you're quite happy, that there seems to be enough content to sustain you and that even the worst content in the same is pretty fun... And you're offended somehow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenaka
lol, well written?

WTH is Jury-Rigged? That's more than a keystroke mistake away from "Jerry Rigged".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The phrase "jury rigged" has been in use since at least 1788.[1] However, the adjectival use of "jury" in the sense of makeshift or temporary dates from at least 1616, when it appeared in John Smith's A Description of New England.[1] It appeared again, in a similar passage, in Smith's more extensive The General History of Virginia, New-England, and the Summer Isles published in 1624.[2][3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rig
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenaka
lol, well written?

WTH is Jury-Rigged? That's more than a keystroke mistake away from "Jerry Rigged".
Jury is the correct spelling......

Hopefully now cryptic will start to listen that quick money making will kill them in the long run.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS-Tiberius
Jury is the correct spelling......

Hopefully now cryptic will start to listen that quick money making will kill them in the long run.
In this instance I will concede and admit I had never heard of Jury-rigged, but *had* heard of Jerry built/jerry rigged.

*runs away, tail betwixt legs*
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Exploration was one of the game's most exciting prospects - randomised planets, species and missions that would lend the game that all-important sense of discovery, of being somewhere no player had gone before - but is a dreadful disappointment, consisting of basic, poorly-refined and endlessly-recycled mission templates with a few variables thrown in.
I'm very surprised by this part of the review. No one ever said that to Cryptic during closed beta, open beta and after launch.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 07:00 AM
The review is very accurate and well written I don't believe it to be harsh in any way, I bought STO just for a bit of fun and I know its not a game I can sink my teeth into and play with any great longevity mainly due to the repetitive aspect and instance based game-style.

I believe any MMO being released onto the market now that decides to use the outdated unpopular instance based game-play is just doomed to be relegated to a casual game by the majority I will continue to play I am sure until a new persistent open world MMO comes along undoubtedly it will be KOTOR who have promised an open world with the smallest amount of instance based game-play possible but that's just me I prefer a game that pro-ports to be massively multi to actually feel like as such.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Ulfhedjinn, what I got out of it was that I'm playing a buggy, boring game, and that if I'm enjoying myself it's because I'm a a Trekkie seeking wish fulfillment, a member of a "horde" who is wants simple, instant-appeal. Which, I don't believe, is either fair to me or the game.

I'm suspicious of writers with chips on their shoulder. I'm suspicious of reviews for an MMO that come out within the week of launch. And I'm suspicious of game reviews that don't clarify when and how long the game was played. I guess Kotaku has spoiled me, eh.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-05-2010, 07:06 AM
I'd also like to put my opinion in support of the "Harsh, but fair review" category. While the reviewer didn't go in depth with all of the problems with the game, he certainly went in depth with enough of them for people to get a fair view of the game in the current state.

Yes, the end score is low, but what do you expect... I certainly feel that the game has been released too early, with a lot of problems that should have been fixed in an extended beta period. Nevertheless, despite it's problems, the game is fun and enjoyable, especially in space. I just hope that Cryptic can use the money they have earned now to get the game into a condition where it starts earning 8+/10 in a few months when these publications usually do their re-reviews.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Well-written, reasoned, thoughtful, accurate review. And that is really sad, because, I really wanted to like STO. I've been playing a little bit every day since the last day of HS. Although STO has some strong points, I think, it comes down to this: Cryptic decided that going for the almighty dollar was more important than delivering a good gaming experience. It is unfinished, and not in that "all MMO's are unfinished" kind of way. It's half-done with half-effort.

you can tell by the small things that weren't done, as well as the big things, how little care and detail went into this. Some of you are fine with that. hats off to ya. I only have time to devote to one MMO, so my bar is high(especially coming from EVE), and this is worth neither my time or my money. Uninstalled. and, cryptic: I can forgive bugs, crashes, all the stuff that anyone who's ever played an MMO knows goes with the territory. I don't forgive laziness and greed. Life is too short, and people are too broke right now for you to turn out crap, charge 50 bucks for it, and insult everyone's intelligence by pretending you give a ****.

You all really should be ashamed of yourselves. It's a hard world out there; people just wanted to have a game, in a world this iconic, that was worthy of the name "Star Trek". Gene Roddenberry must be rolling over in his grave, and you will never get me to play another one of your games again.
Peace
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Ulfhedjinn, what I got out of it was that I'm playing a buggy, boring game, and that if I'm enjoying myself it's because I'm a a Trekkie seeking wish fulfillment, a member of a "horde" who is wants simple, instant-appeal. Which, I don't believe, is either fair to me or the game.
Fair enough, I guess it's open to interpretation but to me it seemed like he was trying to end on a positive note.

Quote:
I'm suspicious of writers with chips on their shoulder.
Hmm, I don't know the guy and neither do you. Does he have a chip on his shoulder?

Quote:
I'm suspicious of reviews for an MMO that come out within the week of launch. And I'm suspicious of game reviews that don't clarify when and how long the game was played. I guess Kotaku has spoiled me, eh.
As I said earlier, Eurogamer reviews all new games. They re-review some MMOs a few months after launch too, so it'll be interesting to see how this game develops and how he feels about it then.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-05-2010, 07:12 AM
GREAT review and 110% accurate at this point in time.. It seemed unbiased and fair.. If you disagree, try reading it again without the blinders and rose colored glasses