Lt. Commander
Today is the universal release for STO in Europe, and a potenial half a billion customers availble.
So im wondering if the servers can handle all the new people or can current players confirm or dismiss the fact that servers is holding.

Thanks all and cu yanks in space.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 02:05 AM
I bet the login and game servers will cope but the C-Store will blow up with all the sweaty palmed gents activating their HAWT borg bridge officers
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 02:10 AM
I'd bet it'll take the hit. If not then a few days later it'll prob be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 02:51 AM
All the doomers in Beta and headstart saying about servers being bad or not being able to log in and all that basically (as usual) over reacted.

Generally speaking (apart from the odd problem which they sort out pretty quickly) getting into the game since I started Closed Beta has never been an issue.

Lag (again generally speaking) has never been an issue.

They have already said they are putting new hardware in over the weekend. Which is great because I will be watching Wales stuff England in the rugby while they do it and having a good beer or ten while I'm at it.

So any log in / lag problems will (as usual) be very much short and sweet. I fully expect additional downtime while they sort some glitches out, but then I guess I'm old enough to get perspective on these things and missing a couple of hours of a game is no big deal to me.

I also fully expect a whole new round of unfounded doom & gloom and whine and pretty glad I should miss much of it, because it really does get on my nerves all the nerd rage on these forums about tiny issues.

See you in game !
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Swell. Not as bad as i anticipated.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 03:11 AM
The store's near where I live always stick to the US release dates. They always put it out then because they will get more profit from it. However they can only do this if they get it before the European realease date, and ofcourse if the company insist that it isn't sold earlier (cough Blizzard cough)
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 03:17 AM
I got my copy a couple of days ago as well. I was quite supprised by it. Not that it mattered a lot... I guess most pre-orderers were already playing since headstart anyway.

So, it'll only be the ones buying it in store that come extra. We'll see how it goes.
I must say that since headstart ended the server has been holding up pretty decent
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraigUK View Post
Lag (again generally speaking) has never been an issue.
Sorry, that simply is not true.

During Headstart phase it was not really possible to have a good gaming experience after 10pm GMT or the time the US players came onto the server, the EU players have already been on. These issues did exist and have been severe.

However ... following Feb 2nd Cryptic was able to stabilize the servers, so that it worked.

the lag after this time was better ... butl lag (and especially loading times) was still feel-able.

If Cryptic follows the same path the game will be stable ... even when the EU officially joins the servers.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Phi
Sorry, that simply is not true.

During Headstart phase it was not really possible to have a good gaming experience after 10pm GMT or the time the US players came onto the server, the EU players have already been on. These issues did exist and have been severe.

However ... following Feb 2nd Cryptic was able to stabilize the servers, so that it worked.

the lag after this time was better ... butl lag (and especially loading times) was still feel-able.

If Cryptic follows the same path the game will be stable ... even when the EU officially joins the servers.
Correction. It may not have been true for you. I did not state there were not problems. Of course there were some. i said "generally speaking".

The reality is though, which you allude to yourself, that these problems were handled quickly. By quickly, I do not mean in 30 minutes, I mean in a reasonable timeframe for them to isolate the issues and deal with them. Which they did.

During headstart I had very very little problems with lag. Regardless of time of day or night. Any issues did not last long. 24 hours MAX. (but usually much less) Which is not an issue at all.

US players primetime is like 2 or 3am GMT, and yup, being a saddo, with an understanding wife (and being on the sick at the moment helps) I was playing then as well.

So, I stand by what I said, but of course appreciate that was not the case for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 03:57 AM
I think, and wish, that when they add the new hardware during the weekend it'll sort itself out. For the most part I have not had any problems, but yesterday there was some serious rubberbanding at times. But that is to be expected at launch, and they figure out how to configure and maintain their hardware properly.