I just started last night. Right now, I'm just following the flow while not really knowing what I'm doing. I'm not just new to STO but to MMOs.
Welcome to the game!
My advice is keep doing what you are doing...go with the flow. Read all the quests, take your time and enjoy. Try not to get down on the garbage spouted in the forums, EVERY MMO has this. And just in case you don't know, Sulu is in Admiral Quinn's office...
My advice since it's still a very new game would be to take your time. There isn't a whole lot of end-game content right now, if you go slow it might be there when you get there. If that makes any sence at all.
For an MMO, this game is fairly complex. You have your ship, your skills, your kits, your BOs, their skills, their equipment...and so on and so on. It's easy to become obsessed with numerical superiority and not "gimping" your character.
I say screw it. Take skills that make sense, or sound fun, or have a cool animation. Who cares? Equip weapons with larger numbers, because big numbers are good. Make a cool looking ship, dress up in a cool uniform, and explore! It's STAR TREK!
And another thing: EXPLORE. It drives me up a freakin' wall to see some yahoo in zone chat asking where such-and-such a system is, or where sulu is, or how do you blow up the crystalline entity. You could, oh, I don't know...FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. Once upon a time, these games (that is, MMOs) were about exploration. Nowadays, all these whippersnappers just want to plug along on this "It's a Small World" treadmill, and be dumped off 100 hours later at max level without ever once being genuinely challenged. Want to know where to buy Mark IV Phaser Banks? GO LOOK.
* When walking, it is best to walk on the sidewalk opposite of traffic, that way, you can more clearly see cars that speed up and head towards you. Also, while laws tell you bicycles are "vehicles" and need to go with the flow of traffic, don't obey them. It is a VERY old law and bicycles have no chance against cars. It's better to ride on the sidewalk and be careful of pedestrians rather than ride in traffic.
* Farming the Deep Space Encounters Sulu's (Great Grandson) gives you is a nice way to get upgraded weapons and consoles for your ship.
* Don't throw away the crust of your bread, eat it! It is healthy. At least feed it to the cold birds outside!
* Sulu is located in the same office Admiral Quinn is; when facing Quinn, just turn around and THERE he is!
* When making an investment, it is best to make it with money you do not need atm or feel safe if losing if your investment does not pay off. It is recommended that one only invest 25% of thier extra money in risky investments, depending on your temperment, it could be even less: as low as 5%.
* Go to "Options" and then to "Key Binds". Click on the "Throttle Up" or "Throttle Down" for special keys. Re-map these to your mouse wheel. Space combat/movement will be much easier then.
* When eating candy with see-through cellophane colored wrappers, save the wrappers and use it on your flashlight or old-timey lightsaber to produce different colors.