Lt. Commander
I'm rank 6 now which means I'm still very green. My approach has been to consistently upgrade after every play session, (1-2 hours). I'm essentially spending my skill points almost as fast as they are coming in. Is this a poor strategy?

I ask because of information I noticed in regards to leveling not being based on points spent but points earned.

Should I be banking my skill points in anticipation of higher level skills in the tree becoming unlocked?

Preparing to "Max" out higher level skills asap by saving up all my skill points now while I'm on the first tier?

I'm just hoping I haven't stumbled down a dark road by burning through the points i've received thus far...

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 07:14 AM
you cannot save points really, you need a given amount of spent skillpoints to rank up from lieutenant to lt commander and so on.

you also unlock captain abilities you can use on ground or space based on the pure amount of your spent skillpoints.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksblair View Post
I'm rank 6 now which means I'm still very green. My approach has been to consistently upgrade after every play session, (1-2 hours). I'm essentially spending my skill points almost as fast as they are coming in. Is this a poor strategy?

I ask because of information I noticed in regards to leveling not being based on points spent but points earned.

Should I be banking my skill points in anticipation of higher level skills in the tree becoming unlocked?

Preparing to "Max" out higher level skills asap by saving up all my skill points now while I'm on the first tier?

I'm just hoping I haven't stumbled down a dark road by burning through the points i've received thus far...

Thanks!
inorder to get promos you have to spend all ur points. so ur doing it right ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Your rank bar progresses by what you earn, but the actual promotions are based on what you spend. You should be spending all along the way to take advantage of the improvements, and you'll need to spent 6700 in order to rank up to Lt.Cmdr.

Jus tthink about what wiill be useful down the line and don't put points into things you won't use later. It doesn't get tricky until you hit Commander where they start introducing skills that are only useful in that rank.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Puts my mind at ease, thanks guys
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Although I tend to hoard bridge officer points unless the BO really has a skill I want
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwynd View Post
Although I tend to hoard bridge officer points unless the BO really has a skill I want
Agreed. I'm spending very few of those because I know I'll be re-arranging skills when I hit Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Dont hoard BO points...eventualy you will have large surpus of them. I think i wasted like 20k BO points, and still have 15k surpus, and i have 10 BO trained...sooo really, dont be afraid to put BO points in something.