Lieutenant
# 1 Is there a skill maximum?
03-03-2014, 10:55 PM
If I have 99 (9 points) starship weapons training, t2 omega rep passive +30 starship weapons training, and TT1 up for +18 swt am I wasting skill points or is this useful?

I really wish the game mechanics were more transparent so we could all make more informed decisions about skill selection. Like, what does 99 in weapons training really get me? would I miss that last point if I spent it elsewhere? Is a skill at 3 points much worse than 6 or 9? This is the most frustrating part of this game.
Republic Veteran
# 2
03-03-2014, 11:02 PM
i find most skills it's pointless to put more than 6 ranks in. the only ones i do are the structural integrity and shield HP ones.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Career Officer
# 3
03-04-2014, 02:21 AM
I'd like to point You to

https://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Ski...%20Effects.htm

- which is still mostly accurate and might help prioritizing skills a bit. And yes, they can go past 99 (9 skillpoints) - but You get diminishing returns.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taskforce 47 Falkenwacht (Federation) / Greifenreiter (KDF)
(at) deianirrah
Free Gear and where to get it
Captain
# 4
03-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Off the top of my head the actual 'cap' is somewhere north of 200 (255?). There are abilities that temporarily give you a huge boost to some skills up into that neighborhood.
-----------------======== Joined: January 2009 ========-----------------
Hate the look of the new Arc site? >>>Check out my redesign concept images<<<

Once again, UI feedback goes wholly ignored
Captain
# 5
03-04-2014, 10:25 AM
On your skill tree, you cannot have more than 99 points in any one skill.

However, you can supplement that with passive gear. Passive consoles, deflectors, engines, and warp cores all add directly to this score. Your effective skill points score is shown on your character status sheet under "Skills". That number takes into effect all passive boost to your skill rating.

Also, Romulan Singularity cloak from T5 Romulan rep gives +100 to all science skills for 5 seconds. And the Inspired leader trait gives a small chance to add +10 to everything on any activation of a boff power. A few doffs also add skill points in certain circumstances.

I have capped out and pushed my Particle Generator skill (which I have invested heavily in) over 300 for a few seconds. Small window... BIG impact.
Captain
# 6
03-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeto13 View Post

However, you can supplement that with passive gear. Passive consoles, deflectors, engines, and warp cores all add directly to this score. Your effective skill points score is shown on your character status sheet under "Skills". That number takes into effect all passive boost to your skill rating.

Also, Romulan Singularity cloak from T5 Romulan rep gives +100 to all science skills for 5 seconds. And the Inspired leader trait gives a small chance to add +10 to everything on any activation of a boff power. A few doffs also add skill points in certain circumstances.

I have capped out and pushed my Particle Generator skill (which I have invested heavily in) over 300 for a few seconds. Small window... BIG impact.
Funny, I'm pretty sure you can bring particle generators to 301.4 without the help of QSM. You add up some more cheese and luck, and I think it tops out (although very temporarily) around 450-460 if I'm not mistaken.
Lieutenant
# 7
03-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deianirrah View Post
I'd like to point You to

https://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Ski...%20Effects.htm

- which is still mostly accurate and might help prioritizing skills a bit. And yes, they can go past 99 (9 skillpoints) - but You get diminishing returns.

Thanks for the link, I lost it somewhere.(BTW, what is the last column saying? maximum regardless of skill level?) But, that still does not tell me what you gain above 99.
I'm wondering if the actual gain in skill is worth having 9 points in it if you also have passives and other abilities that boost that skill.

For instance with starship weapons training with t2 omega +30 swt, what is the difference between 114 (6points + t2 omega) and 129 (9 points + t2 omega)? would I even notice the difference in game?

And so the speculation is there is no hard cap? even if the gains are not significant?
Captain
# 8
03-04-2014, 12:02 PM
It's diminishing returns the higher you go in the skill level and you will need those points later. You don't actually get enough skill points to completely fill every skill tree, and if you spend too many in lower ranked skills you will come up short when you need points in higher ranked ones. You have to strategically plan where to put your skill points as you advance in rank to suit your playing style, the type of ship you prefer, your characters career specialty, etc.
There's a number of skill planning tools out there, and you will likely have to respec a few times until you get things fine tuned to where everything works best.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........

Last edited by maxvitor; 03-04-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Ensign
# 9
03-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeto13 View Post

I had thought that it was like power level caps.
I have 144 in Starship Weapons Training, due to 99 in skill choices and passive equipment boosts. However, I was going to respec skills and redistribute, because I thought that uprating my engine skills might help more. Is there a cap, is 144 'wasting' skill points?

Thanks!
...Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades or loose the cords of Orion?...
Lieutenant
# 10
03-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
It's diminishing returns the higher you go in the skill level and you will need those points later. You don't actually get enough skill points to completely fill every skill tree, and if you spend too many in lower ranked skills you will come up short when you need points in higher ranked ones. You have to strategically plan where to put your skill points as you advance in rank to suit your playing style, the type of ship you prefer, your characters career specialty, etc.
There's a number of skill planning tools out there, and you will likely have to respec a few times until you get things fine tuned to where everything works best.
I know there is diminishing returns but I'd like some hard numbers. I have 8 characters, a LTS and played for ~1 year. 2 of my toons have been clocked at just over 10K dps (like 10.3K both tac captains with only blue mk xii tac consoles) I'd like to push this further as well as help out my sci-guys. Not really min/maxing, but understanding what I am losing/gaining by moving skill points around while considering rep passives and other skill boosting abilities/items.

I know building for a specific ship and weapon type is important. I know that specializing in one role make optimization easier/possible. I don't know what its worth to have a skill above 99.