Lt. Commander
# 1 Do Consoles stack?
02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Hi all,
My question is do the benefits from consoles stack if the provide the same benefit?
Example: If I have 2 engineering console slots and put a console for +7.5% Disrupter damage in one, if I put a duplicate console in the other slot would the bonuses stack to a 15%?

Thanks - Just trying to learn
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QorChang View Post
Hi all,
My question is do the benefits from consoles stack if the provide the same benefit?
Example: If I have 2 engineering console slots and put a console for +7.5% Disrupter damage in one, if I put a duplicate console in the other slot would the bonuses stack to a 15%?

Thanks - Just trying to learn
you'd get about 13% not 15. There are diminishing returns. It's done to keep things in balance, which becomes alot more noticable in higher tiers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
I was going to say - they used to stack not sure sinc the game has gone live.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes all consoles that give a bonus to captain's skill stack additively. So two +15 Plasma Energy Weapons tactical consoles would give you a +30 to your captain's Plasma Energy skill, which you can see on the captain's stats page in the space skills section at the bottom.

Resistance bonuses are calculated differently and don't stack the same way the others do. Installing a +10 resistance engineering console will only give 9.1 to the resistance on the chip's stats page. A +7.5 only give 7 resist and so on. I believe the resistances are done this way to ensure noone can reach 100% resistance to any damage type and become invulnerable. Especially if they managed to install several consoles that add resists to all the damage types and used powers that further buffed those resistances.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthar
Yes all consoles that give a bonus to captain's skill stack additively. So two +15 Plasma Energy Weapons tactical consoles would give you a +30 to your captain's Plasma Energy skill, which you can see on the captain's stats page in the space skills section at the bottom.

Resistance bonuses are calculated differently and don't stack the same way the others do. Installing a +10 resistance engineering console will only give 9.1 to the resistance on the chip's stats page. A +7.5 only give 7 resist and so on. I believe the resistances are done this way to ensure noone can reach 100% resistance to any damage type and become invulnerable. Especially if they managed to install several consoles that add resists to all the damage types and used powers that further buffed those resistances.
So what you just said is that someone can't have 100% resist, but they could have 100% bonus damage.
Makes no sense.

my 2 +7.5 consoles add up to 13 in my ships stats. Guess I'm bugged?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorac
So what you just said is that someone can't have 100% resist, but they could have 100% bonus damage.
Makes no sense.

my 2 +7.5 consoles add up to 13 in my ships stats. Guess I'm bugged?
Why doesn't it make sense? He just explained that their bonuses behave differently.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Why doesn't it make sense? He just explained that their bonuses behave differently.
Because it opens up a disparity between those that wish to go defensive versus those that wish to go offensive.

If I go pure offense and you go pure defense, shouldn't we, in the end, not be equal? It is basically saying hey everyone stack +damage because +resist wont ever be able to match us.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Because it opens up a disparity between those that wish to go defensive versus those that wish to go offensive.

If I go pure offense and you go pure defense, shouldn't we, in the end, not be equal? It is basically saying hey everyone stack +damage because +resist wont ever be able to match us.
Enh, no. The point is that the math is different.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Enh, no. The point is that the math is different.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand the math associated with it. I ment design wise, it didn't make sense.

Cie la vie?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand the math associated with it. I ment design wise, it didn't make sense.

Cie la vie?
I don't know if we have the math right for consoles anymore. Champs uses a different diminishing returns model than this game used in beta. We need to retest.