Lt. Commander
# 1 Game Confusion.
02-04-2010, 11:45 AM
So I have been playing for a few days now and I have some questions.

First: When you get new weapons, gear, and what-not, how do you know if it's better than what you have or not? I am so used to games like WoW or **** where it will tell you if it's better or not, but I dont see any sort of information that tells me these things when I buy something.

Thats question one.

Second: I am doing a mission where I had to fly to a nebula (level 3 mission I think) and scan "unidentified objects", well I get there and there is like 100001023020202002 enemies waiting for me and I can't scan anything because they all kill me! Any tips??

--I was thinking go back to the space dock and upgrade my shields and weapons, but I cant figure out how to do that (get back to the dock mid-mission), can someone help me out??

Thanks peoples
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi,

For Question 1: Open your character sheet (type "U" on your keyboard) and your inventory (if it's not open yet, type "I" on your keyboard). Set it to the ship or person that you want to compare to.

Now mouse over the item in your inventory. It should show you two little windows: The left one is the item you have equipped and the right one is the item in your inventory. This will work for your self, your bridge officers and your ship. Just set it to the appropriate charcter/ship before you mouse over.

In the case of ships, if you have more than one item slot available (e.g. phasers, multiple engineering/science/tactical consoles) then you will see a pop-up window for each item you have. Now just pick the one you want and drag it into your character sheet.

You can swap equipment any time you are not in combat. If it's Red Alert, then you'll have to wait. You don't need to return to spacedock.

Note that you can equip and upgrade your bridge officers! I got to Lt. Commander before I noticed this. Doh.

For Question 2: Usually you gotta kill them all before you can safely scan. There are exceptions:

A. Blind the one shooting you. Now you have 9 seconds to scan before he starts shooting again. Doesn't help if more than one ship is shooting at you.

B. Try not to be noticed. Keep your distance from the enemy until after you have scanned.

Good luck and play nice!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Alright, well I will give that a try.

I am just so used to all those other games that it confuses me. It's a tough game to get used to.

Kinda difficult finding out what the hell your doing when it comes to upgrading and what not.

Do you make money from the missions?? It seems like the only way I have been making any loot is from selling stuff that's in my inventory.

And in response to your "sneaking" technique, is there any way to just like do that easily, I feel like when I am not seen and I get near something that needs to be scanned...they see me!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 07:00 AM
You make plenty of energy (the currency) in missions and from selling stuff. It starts slow but it seems to pick up after a while.

Also, when possible sell your stuff to a merchant in a space station (e.g. spacedock at Sol system). They offer the most for your item. Your replicator offers less, but of course it's way more convenient. Passing Ferengi merchants seem to offer the poorest amounts (but check them for purchasing cool weapons and such).

As for "sneaking," as far as I can tell if I can stay more than 10 km from them at all times they will usually ignore me. Once I get within 10km, the jig is up.

Finally, as for what items are truly better than others I can't really say. In a straight apples-to-apples comparison, a Mk. II is better than a Mk. I item, so that's easy to figure out. But then some things have a %-based stat while others have a fixed number stat. I'm still trying to sort that out as it seems situationally dependant.

And the science consoles and deflectors are a plain mystery to me. Most of the bonuses don't mean anything to me yet so I don't know when I have a great vs. "ok" item in my inventory. When I doubt, I toss it in the bank and search the forms.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 07:39 AM
answer for number 2 its supposed to be a joint mission - ie have a team. If no one is waiting it will put you in solo. On some missions this is bad - like the one you mentioned. Ask in chat for some help, you never know someone might want to complete it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Is that mission the one where you have to scan 5 objects, the first 3 easily done, the 4th results in a ship warp in on top of you, and the final looks to be covered in 20+ enemy objects?

If it is then all of those objects bar 1 or 2 were mines. I managed to pull the Bird of Prey away from them by dipping inside 10km and firing and then turning away. Then it was a case of popping mines til I got close to the final object to scan.

Edit: I think it was a patrol 5 systems mission chain.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Aye, I did that mission last night. I enjoyed it a lot because I need to approach the proper areass much more carefully than other missions. Many times I would creep just within 10km of a turret, stop, and start blasting away, all the while 1 or 2 more turrets were only slightly further than 10 km.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupaNibre
Second: I am doing a mission where I had to fly to a nebula (level 3 mission I think) and scan "unidentified objects", well I get there and there is like 100001023020202002 enemies waiting for me and I can't scan anything because they all kill me! Any tips??

--I was thinking go back to the space dock and upgrade my shields and weapons, but I cant figure out how to do that (get back to the dock mid-mission), can someone help me out??

Thanks peoples
IIf this is the mission I am thinking, this is the last of 3 parts. First part rescue another ship and get Dilithium for it, second part beam some substance aboard to improve engine efficiency, and thrid in a nebula scan 5 objects.

I have had like 100 billion ships in the third part too. If you start this mission with a group and you get seperated from the others in the group then this happens.

The only solution I have found is to leave and return as a solo player not in a group. As long as the game believes you are in a group you end up in the third part with enough enemies for a full group of 5 players.