Lt. Commander
# 21
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
I have sold lots of stuff on the exchange.

Price your item less than it costs to buy it and more than you can sell it for and it will fly off the shelves.

Pretty simple and profitable too.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-05-2010, 09:34 AM
There is an inherient problem with players perception of the value of items and the price on the exchange.

When you mouse over an item it lists the 'value' of that item. Unfortunately that is not the value. When you sell an item to a vendor in game, you get at best half that listed value. So the true value is only half the value shown on the item. So when you post on the exchange remember to half the value listed on the item when you guestimate what you can sell that item for.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawLessOne View Post
There is an inherient problem with players perception of the value of items and the price on the exchange.

When you mouse over an item it lists the 'value' of that item. Unfortunately that is not the value. When you sell an item to a vendor in game, you get at best half that listed value. So the true value is only half the value shown on the item. So when you post on the exchange remember to half the value listed on the item when you guestimate what you can sell that item for.
The bolded portion is patently false.

It is the value of the item in question - were you to be buying that item from an NPC. Naturally, NPCs will not buy an item for what they would sell it to you for, as there's no profit in it for them. When selling it to an NPC (and NPC prices WILL vary depending on who and what you're selling to and the relevance of that item to what they're offering; Don't sell to the black market, it's bad for profit!), you get a set percentage of the value they would normally have sold it to you.

For the most part, the worst prices are obtained from the Replicator, with Starfleet/Klingon Empire merchants giving you somewhat better deals then the Ferengi (who will rob you blind).

Again... the value listed is the value of the item you would pay if you bought it from an NPC.

It is the value, just not the one you expect.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
Valid point. When i look at some of the loots in my bank, I move what i will never use to the fleet bank, and when nobody claims it, I have been tempted to put it on the exchange. I can't see myself selling anything for more than 20k, since I really haven't seen much of a need for credits (unless i am missing something)

I know that the prices will get so out of hand eventually that it will border on ridiculous, it's inevitable, but I implore you all to try and delay that day as much as possible.
if you look at the prices for ships... especially the higher tiers... i can easilly see how buying a tier 4 ship from any category and fitting out with adequate(blues and some greens) consoles and equipment could cost upwards of 150K energy....

which is why i will post the first random blue i get for an relatively high price... not outrageous mind you but higher than average... cause i know i'll need the money.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
I bought my first set of dual phasers on the exchange. Of course, I went for the lowest priced ones, but I'm still a Lt. anyhow, so I can't use anything above Mk II yet :p
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I've sold plenty of stuff on the exchange, I search for similar items and undercut if it's feasable. However I usually don't bother if there's a lot of said item up there selling for just above the vendor price.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-05-2010, 09:48 AM
why the hell is carth onasi in mah ST forumz >,>
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogedei
why the hell is carth onasi in mah ST forumz >,>
He got really drunk after being rejected, and, well...
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Trust me, this character is no refrence to that one. I don't even know what reference you're talking about. Karth is actually short for Karthannar- A name I've been using since I've played FFXI.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieone
i sold quite a few things as well, but i severely under cut a lot of those that sell at outrageous prices i look at what the replicator pays for them and set prices a little above that. i think a reasonable price not 50k for a tribble and yes i saw some selling one that high and even saw a white mk II counsel that boosts aux power for 100k.

the people selling for ridiculous prices are one of two things in my book.

1. gold farmer
2, and idiot!!
3) Using the Exchange as a ersatz extra bank slot, by pricing the item so that NOBODY in their right mind would buy it. This has been admitted to, on these very Forums.

There, fixed it for ya

Quote:
as you can still make money for what ever you or want with out selling stuff in needed money in this game is very easy to get quickly. so if its something some one can use why charge an outrageous price for low level stuff. dont you realize it stuff like this that feed an possibly started this whole mess with golf farmers and mmo's. price stuff so high the average joe in game can't afford. may force hime to buy in game money from the gold farmer to buy equipment. this is the wrong way to fight them. and thats why i will not sell items that high myself ever.