Lt. Commander
# 31
02-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd agree that by and large the items on the exchange are overpriced. I also doubt they'll become reasonable any time soon (if ever), people will want to level up new characters and will likely be willing to pay for items to do so quickly and while common items are overpriced I doubt that will change either (since not all of the items are available on vendors and people will want them for crafting); for these reasons I can also, to an extant, understand why these items might be more expensive than you'd expect (though as it stands most aren't priced in what I'd call an understandable range).
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I've gotten almost 3 mil credits, so yeah, I'm selling stuff on the exchange. And no, things are not over-priced at all, they are priced precisely at their value. If theres 1 thing on the exchange, and you need that 1 thing, then it can be at a high price. If there are 1,000's of it, the price will come down.

It's the simplest of market laws, supply and demand. The demand dictates the price. If I put it up for a million and you buy it, that's the price. Even if every other person objects to that price, if it sells at that price then that's it's value at that time.

Right now the market is in flux because the demand FAR exceeds the supply in a lot of areas. As the "bubble" moves up, the prices will drop down and normalize. The cash being made is just opportunists who know economics.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawLessOne View Post
There is an inherient problem with players perception of the value of items and the price on the exchange.

When you mouse over an item it lists the 'value' of that item. Unfortunately that is not the value. When you sell an item to a vendor in game, you get at best half that listed value. So the true value is only half the value shown on the item. So when you post on the exchange remember to half the value listed on the item when you guestimate what you can sell that item for.
Unless it is a rare item that will not be sold except at the exchange. In this case the price can be more subjective.

A rare Tribble that a breeder fed 6000 credits of food to breed and then took a month to appear would be priced much more than the estimated value listed.

Stuff you can walk next door to buy otherwise works with the 80% of price or Cost+ formulas, stuff you can't buy is going to take a while to settle down in the exchange as more people find and place them there.

The best way to deflate these prices is to place your own items on the exchange for what you believe they should sell for. That way ridiculously priced items will simply sit there.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
I've gotten almost 3 mil credits, so yeah, I'm selling stuff on the exchange. And no, things are not over-priced at all, they are priced precisely at their value. If theres 1 thing on the exchange, and you need that 1 thing, then it can be at a high price. If there are 1,000's of it, the price will come down.

It's the simplest of market laws, supply and demand. The demand dictates the price. If I put it up for a million and you buy it, that's the price. Even if every other person objects to that price, if it sells at that price then that's it's value at that time.

Right now the market is in flux because the demand FAR exceeds the supply in a lot of areas. As the "bubble" moves up, the prices will drop down and normalize. The cash being made is just opportunists who know economics.
Wow 3 million credits I thought I was godly at 500k until I read this forum....As far as selling items on exchange I buy a lot of items on the exchange that I need instead of waiting for it to come to me in game...I also sell what I no longer need with the hope that it does sell for someone who was also in my predictament...

As far as price..I undercut the lowest price up there.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I usually post mine up slightly under the price they are valued at. So something worth 1k I will sell at 750. Worth 500 I sell at 250 etc. Well, for those that are vendor buyable that is The loot only items will tend to be priced and valued higher. I have sold quite a few items this way but I have been looting a lot more than has been selling so I slowly take off my lowest priced/levelled items and replace them with higher level items after all someone will rather have a Mark II item than a Mark I and a Mark IV item rather than a Mark III And then I vendor the rest away.

One good thing though is that you can see the value of the item. If the value of an item you want is 5k and someone is selling for 7k. The question is, do you think it is good enough to pay 7k for. If so, buy it.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I usually post mine up slightly under the price they are valued at. So something worth 1k I will sell at 750. Worth 500 I sell at 250 etc. Well, for those that are vendor buyable that is The loot only items will tend to be priced and valued higher. I have sold quite a few items this way but I have been looting a lot more than has been selling so I slowly take off my lowest priced/levelled items and replace them with higher level items after all someone will rather have a Mark II item than a Mark I and a Mark IV item rather than a Mark III And then I vendor the rest away.

One good thing though is that you can see the value of the item. If the value of an item you want is 5k and someone is selling for 7k. The question is, do you think it is good enough to pay 7k for. If so, buy it.
Playing the market is a skill, one that I suck at most aggregiously, I fear. I have a friend in my old WoW guild that had 3 accounts, full of mules, all full of gold to the cap. We raided the PvE content, he dominated the AH, and he was a MASTER at it, to an obscene lvl.

I'm just using basic methods and taking advantage of the bull market while it lasts. When things level out, I'll be poor again I just need the head start
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Yuppers lots of things
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I suspect the overpriced whites are actually items for Credit sellers. Although, I don't really understand how they can be selling what at this point they won't have...
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
And it's people like you that assist inflating prices. I hate your type.
you must really hate capitalism....

My father told me something once:

If you're not losing customers from price hikes, then you didn't raise your prices high enough.

Still true in the E-market as it is in real life.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I use the exchance a fair bit and 99% of it sells as i dont over price i olny ask a moderate fee

Made quite few hundred thousand credits in the last few days