Lt. Commander
# 41
02-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyias View Post
you must really hate capitalism....

My father told me something once:

If you're not losing customers from price hikes, then you didn't raise your prices high enough.

Still true in the E-market as it is in real life.
Your father is a wise man. That is why America is how it is, for good or bad. People will pay what they feel something is worth. If they don't pay as much as you want, then you've not done a good job in instilling it with value. If they are willing to pay an arm and a leg for it, then you have.

In the end, what's the difference between a $25,000 and $250,000 car, 5 years later? Why pay $250,000 for a car at all? It's 4 wheels and an engine. Because you feel there is value in doing so. Others may think you're stupid, but rarely are those others as rich as you, or they'd understand
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Here's a conspiracy theory:
You know how street performers would throw down a bunch of their own change into their hats, just so it would encourage passerbys to throw down money to give the impression that others were doing it?
I'm thinking Cryptic posted those 30k phaser mk1's, it's all too uniform. it's either Cryptic or just some idiot.

Still, I'm finding it annoying that the searches on the Exchange occaisionally turns up suspiciously empty. But I have found a few at realistic prices, and I've sold a few items too. So... *shrug*

it's better for all of us, we get back more than half than selling at the store, and other players get to pay at less than full price. Fully equitable for all.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Yep, lots of things but not 3 million worth. About 200k. Nothing overpriced, can't stand those crazy prices people shove out. I usually price mine a bit above what you would normally get if you sold it (which is half). Things sell quite nicely if your reasonable with prices.

I have gotten some very good items at pretty decent prices. Yes, rares do sell for more but that is expected. Heck, I got some nice Chroniton Torps Mk VI for a steal, they are going for 200k + but the item itself sells for about 7k, go figure. I lucked out and got it for about 30k. A bit high but still cheap compared to the 200k+ others were asking. Plus, I really wanted them and I consider them a very good investment. They completely rock.

So my advice would be if you have items you know people will want, first, search the exchange and see what others are charging then set your lower and watch it sell.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingTricorder View Post
Here's a conspiracy theory:
You know how street performers would throw down a bunch of their own change into their hats, just so it would encourage passerbys to throw down money to give the impression that others were doing it?
I'm thinking Cryptic posted those 30k phaser mk1's, it's all too uniform. it's either Cryptic or just some idiot.

Still, I'm finding it annoying that the searches on the Exchange occaisionally turns up suspiciously empty. But I have found a few at realistic prices, and I've sold a few items too. So... *shrug*

it's better for all of us, we get back more than half than selling at the store, and other players get to pay at less than full price. Fully equitable for all.
You don't need a conspiracy theory to explain it. Let's say I'm a Korean credit farmer and you're some schmoe that want's to buy 300,000 credits from me. If I just transfer the credits to you, Cryptic see's it and catches us both, we lose...though you're still out the money, sucker

So instead I catch you in game and say "Buy 10 phaser 1's and put them on the market for 30k each". I then buy them, and viola, you have 300k credits, having spent only a handful to do it.

Oldest farmer trick in the book, and hard to catch. When Cryptic tries to block it, they just change the number to 30,012. And you can't run a filter on "posts > than value" because there'll always be Barnums like me, posting something at a ridiculous price just to see if it'll sell.

Even if they put a fee on the Exchange, the Koreans just make the buyer eat the cost for the post.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Every time I look at the exchange, there is nothing in there. I am going to try and sell some stuff over the next few days as I have too much stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moohasha View Post
I know there are threads out there about the outrageous prices on the Exchange, but I'm just wondering if anyone has actually managed to sell anything at those prices? I was going to sell some stuff, but I looked at those prices and thought, "Nobody's going to buy this!" I was actually going to post things at a reasonable price, but since you can't sort by price (or at least, I didn't see an option), I figured people would never find the reasonable prices through all the ridiculous prices.
So has anyone actually sold a Mk I phaser for 30k?? Or are people just wasting their time and wondering why the fish aren't biting? I figure I'll just vendor everything and at least get it off my hands.
I had twenty items listed for just a little over what vendors would give (so still a lot less then you'd buy them from the vendor for) but no one could ever find them... there are so many listings at ridiculous prices and they come up in order of posting that you rarely get to see the good deals... my inventory was pretty much full before and I couldn't sell so I just started vendoring everything.
I wont be using the exchange until It has a functional search system that lets people specify what they are WILLING to pay. until then the only competition is to get your item up before the other guy
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman007 View Post
I don't understand all the questions and complaints about prices. This is an online game. Online games have some of the oddest economies you'll ever see. When placing someting at a high price, the seller isn't losing anything at all. So what if people don't buy it ever? It's not like the seller is going to use his item.

But what if someone DOES buy your MK I phaser for 30k? Then good on you.

A personal experience from the other day: I looted a MK III purple-quality item that was utterly useless to me. I looked on the exchange, saw one on there for 2.4mil, and thought, "Now this is an opportunity!"

So I posted in zone chat that I was selling the same item for 400k. Holy smokes, I was inundated with whispers from all kinds of people, none of which wanted to buy it. Some people were actually ANGRY. Appalled that I would sell ANYTHING for that cost, much less a MK III.

I got several comments like, "nobody can afford that, this game was just launched, what's your problem?"

My response? "But what if someone can? What if someone does?"

After about five minutes of performing damage control on all the flames sent my way, I decided to try my luck on the exchange. At 2am, GMT -8, I set the item up for 400k. When I woke up at 6am, it had already sold.

That's right, sold. Sold for a "ridiculous price nobody would ever pay".

What's my point in all of this? Who cares if a body wants to try to set bait for a sucker? If an item is purchased, the price wasn't "too high".

Please go back to WoW.
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman007 View Post
I don't understand all the questions and complaints about prices. This is an online game. Online games have some of the oddest economies you'll ever see. When placing someting at a high price, the seller isn't losing anything at all. So what if people don't buy it ever? It's not like the seller is going to use his item.
You're kidding, right? MMO economies are EXACTLY like real ones, in every way.

I can take any item in my house, something I bought for $5, and advertise it on Craig's List for a million dollars if I want. And, if I market it correctly, calling it vintage, or antique, or special, some moron will buy it.

That's the way economics work...people buy to perceived demand. If they feel they need it and have enough money, and the money is of less value than the price of it, they will buy it. That's as true in life as it is in an MMO.

Go stand outside the BMW dealership and whine that they charge more than Chevy does for their cars and see how effective that is What is the "value" of a BMW that makes it 10x the price of a Chevy? It's metal and rubber. Broken down to it's parts and materials, they're the same thing, but BMW's done a better job adding perceived value.

That's economics.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I have been buying low and selling for profit since release.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-07-2010, 09:32 AM
All the time, I just look at the value and price around that I only sell things that are harder to get bindables and "rare" commons like turrets.

I also buy alot from the exchange to make up for stuff I can't get badges for.