Lt. Commander
Hey, I am loving Star Trek Online. The only thing I really don't like, and hope to Gawd that they change, is the bind-on-equip feature for items (where, if you equip an item, its bound and you can't ever trade it or put it in the fleet bank). I'm not sure why they did this. Why not let people trade their old gear? I had something I wanted to trade, but I put it on since it absorbed 20% of disruptor damage. So I put it on, and was pretty ticked off when I discovered later that I was unable to trade it!

Does anyone else feel the same way? Is there an actual REASON why they did this?

smokey joe

Lieutenant Robert Wallace
Commander, U.S.S. Thermopylae NCC-91025
Empyreal Order Fleet

EDIT: Ok guys, my mistake. You hit the nail on the head: I AM new to MMO's (TBH I dont really like MMOs as a whole, they just seem to be missing something that my favorite single and multiplayer games have). But what you said makes sense, it does keep the economy in order. I just couldnt for the life of me think of a reason they would do that until now. The only MMO I've ever played was Anarchy Online.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 10:23 AM
No, it needs to stay as it is. Bind on equip is very common in MMOs and helps maintain the economy.

The 'white' items do not bind, so you can trade those, but the rares (green, blue, purple) do bind and that is just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
No, it needs to stay as it is. Bind on equip is very common in MMOs and helps maintain the economy.

The 'white' items do not bind, so you can trade those, but the rares (green, blue, purple) do bind and that is just fine.
i disagree with the helps the economy statement. in lineage 2 there was no BOE and gear that had been used was an investment which could be resold sometimes at a profit in order to upgrade to the next tier of gear. and l2 had the deepest economy of any mmo i've played.

that being said, BOE and BOP gear is now common in mmo's. for better or worse it's here to stay.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm on the fence about it. Can we get a pro and con list going?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiorand View Post
Hey, I am loving Star Trek Online. The only thing I really don't like, and hope to Gawd that they change, is the bind-on-equip feature for items (where, if you equip an item, its bound and you can't ever trade it or put it in the fleet bank). I'm not sure why they did this. Why not let people trade their old gear? I had something I wanted to trade, but I put it on since it absorbed 20% of disruptor damage. So I put it on, and was pretty ticked off when I discovered later that I was unable to trade it!

I just can't think of any reason WHY they would do this. If anyone feels the same way, please reply to this and lets send Cryptic a message to drop this 'feature".

smokey joe

Lieutenant Robert Wallace
Commander, U.S.S. Thermopylae NCC-91025
Empyreal Order Fleet
You must be new to MMOs. This is pretty standard with anything that is not rated as a 'common' item. If you think about it too, it's kinda a security thing. Once you bind something to your character, it can never be stolen; only destroyed!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
No, BoE is a very common technique in MMOs to limit moving and selling of rare items. It is a perfectly acceptable solution to elevating the value and tradability of items. Cryptic, leave it alone. Its fine as it is. Just be glad they are not BoP (Bind on Pickup) which means you can't trade them at all once you pick them up.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 10:31 AM
This is a fairly standard device in MMOs, intended to manage the economy. Without BoE or some other device that removes items from the economy, the difficulty of the game would be skewed, because in short order virtually everyone would be outfitted entirely in blue gear (more comes into the economy every day, none ever leaves). This fact would leave the devs with the dilemma of increasing game difficulty, which would make the game unplayable for new players without sugar daddies, or leaving the difficulty as is, which would make the game trivial to longer term players.

*edit* lol, when I started posting this, there were no responses! Slow typer, I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
the reason it's there is for one reason only.

twinking.

people QQ hardcore over twinking.

this started in EQ1 et al.

personally I don't like it. But that's why it's there..and it's there to stay
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
If there was no Bind the market would eventually be flooded with items even more than it already is. Prices would drop below the "NPC" price of the item so people would stop putting things up for sale. Some items might even be unavailable through any means but looting it yourself due to this. Eventually this leads to prices skyrocketing back up because of everyone having so much cash on hand.

This all leads to problems. Old, established, players arent really affected one way or the other. But new players will not be able to afford the items they need if they can even find them for sale.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
If I like Bind on Equip (BOE) or even Bind on Pickup (BOP), should I post that in this thread?

Cheers!
Roundabout_Canuck