Lt. Commander
I want to be able to name all of my ships in use or stored the same name. I noticed that I have to change my old ship to a different name if I want to name my new ship the same name. This costs me if I don't destroy the old ship from my ship inventory : /
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 11:49 AM
/signed

I would also live this feature, maby have it add MK I-X to your ships every time you are given or buy a new ship and then name it the same as your previous ship/s
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Let me have my ship name to be exclusive for cost!

Yes, I'm willing to pay, to actually be the only one out there and not just another off the Starfleet Repetition Production Line.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Really, just name it the same, and add -A, -B, -C to the end of the registration number. That seems to make the most sense to me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Indeed, I thought this was a bit strange, considering that the entire Star Trek series is based around multiple ships with the same name.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 11:02 PM
True, Star Trek did have Enterprises B through E, but only one ship at a time was in existence. The Enterprise B was not sitting in mothballs while Enterprise C was active. The B-E designation was added to the NCC number, but the name of each of those ships was just 'Enterprise'.

To the best of my knowledge, if a ship is decommissioned and sitting in mothballs, it still retains its name and no other ship will get that name until the ship is scrapped, or perhaps is converted to another class and subsequently renamed.

I realize this is a game and people want to be able to name their ships as they please. However, think of it this way. As you get promoted, you get transferred to another ship. If you go from the Frigate USS Garcia to the cruiser USS New York, they are not going to change the name of the New York to the Garcia. Unless you were the captain to decomission it, the Garcia is still going to be running around out there with a new CO.

But, after all, it is a game, so what the hell?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Not ENTIRELY true, actually... the Enterprise-A, while it was decommissioned, still existed by the time the Enterprise-B was being commissioned. Other than that, I can't think of a time when more than one Enterprise was in existence at a time.

That said, if you move on to a new ship, the old one should be more or less decomissioned at that point. You CAN simply delete it or rename it, of course, but it would make sense to allow for the same ship names as long as the registration numbers differed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Well.. come on, you don't have the Enterprise B launching while the Enterprise A is still out in service... Just come up with a new name, or decommission the old ship.

Plus.. renaming a ship? You have to go through and replace all the dedication plaques, reprogram the computer and transponders, give the ship a new paint job... that stuff costs money ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Ha! Fair enough.

That said, though... while the Enterprise-A was officially decommissioned, it was still intact, and still named "U.S.S. Enterprise". It could, IN THEORY, have been taken back out again (well, probably not, since they probably removed the warp core, etc...) but even so, The U.S.S. Enterprise A and B existed at the same time.

I mean, I can see the arguments on both sides, sure... but the point is that you CAN carry along a ship name all you want... you just have to jump through seemingly unnecessary hoops to do so. Especially given that there is nothing currently preventing two captains from having the SAME ship name... only from preventing ONE captain from having multiple ships under the same name. *shrug*

Makes no difference to me... I can do the name shuffle all I need to. It just seems a little unnecessary.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2010, 11:11 AM
lol true, but it's not like we're playing EVE, where decommissioning a ship means hitting self destruct and watching the fireworks ^_^ "Discharge" literally means to Decommission or Remove from Service... it is no longer an active starfleet vessel...

Besides, it makes better story sense to not have your captain jumping around from ship to ship randomly...

This is a Role-Playing Game, remember? Play the star trek universe... If you do want to give your new awesomeness your flagship name, then have the decency to retire the old one!

Just like only one woman can take your name at a time, don't marry a new girl without divorcing the old one

Okay, horrible analogy...

Anyway... if you wanna play the field, and have a million different ships, then name them all something else! Give each one some character!

If you can't come up with names, I believe there's a random name generator....

EDIT: Better, you don't have every star player on your team play with the same number on their jersey, and you don't call all your best friends by the same nickname lol