Lt. Commander
# 11
02-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiala View Post
If only...

The names can sometimes give it away for some races, but try guessing for an Aliengen.

Human: Aaron, male
Vulcan: T'whatever, female
Alien: Quehtnay <- What gender is that?!?
Sad to say, I just got a Vulcan Officer assigned to me yesterday that I put on the Exchange for cheap. His name was T'Something, so even that's not always a reliable indicator, alas.

Cheers,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-10-2010, 08:54 AM
There are no Benzite boffs. At all.

Not male, not female.

Not engineer, not science, not tactical.

Not at the vendor, not at the exchange.

rats.

I wanted my chief of security to be a benzite bodybuilder.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Sigh. Reached level 31 today, which means I'm now at the point where I want to create my "final" officers. And yet, this still isn't fixed, and my bug ticket hasn't even got the "we're looking into this" response.

I'll say it again:

The Alien science and engineering officers you receive from missions (and which therefore are Uncommon, Rare, or Very Rare) are ALL male. Zero female officers whatsoever for the Alien race. (Note that there are Common female officers for the custom races, possibly because the race is listed as "Unknown" instead of "Alien".)

One possible culprit: when you accept an officer, sometimes it says "inventory full" even though you've got plenty of room in both your inventory and assignments tab. Completing the mission again will usually work correctly, but I've noticed that doing this changes the pre-assigned name and skills on the officer. Effectively, it's "re-rolling" everything but race when you take the requisition mission. So maybe it's possible that certain combinations (like female Alien) are being treated as somehow invalid and triggering this effect, but that others work just fine?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatzimaus View Post
It's worse than that. I've bought TWELVE Alien officers off the exchange, and every one has been male. The chances of this happening naturally would be 1 in 4096, so I have to assume that the game simply doesn't generate female Alien officers when assigning them initially.
(I'm trying to get two alien female officers: one science, one engineer, with decent traits. RP reasons.)
Quote:
Okay, after extensive testing (involving me buying about three dozen uncommon and rare Alien officers of various professions), I can confirm this; not a SINGLE female officer in the whole lot.

This is very, very annoying to those of us who want a specific group of characters on our ships. And it's a symptom of a bigger headache with STO: the nature of the skill point system encourages you to pick your "final" crew early and develop them, but the fact that traits aren't alterable encourages you to use only rare/very rare officers, which obviously require some time to accumulate.

This could all be solved by allowing us to "train" a trait to another officer in the same way we do skills. But until/unless that happens, things like this can be crippling. (I've got two BO slots with Common officers in them at the moment that I intend to replace as soon as I can find a female alien engineer and science. Obviously there's no point in spending skill points or merits on those two.)

I know where all the female BOFFS are!!!

I have them

So far, ironically enough, all of my BO's have been female. I didnt plan this, and its not like i just chose them that way. When i decided i wanted a tactical officer i went to buy one and it ended up fem. When it came time to fill the sci slot, blammo! again, a female. and then i myself play a fem toon (yes, im male) so i ended up with an all female crew, completely unintentionally. any other toons that ive got have been a mix, usually, going back and forth, but for whatever reason, Q has decided to ensure my entire crew will stay female. I have 5 officers total right now, and every single one of them, Fem. Not that im complaining

Thanks Q!!!

X
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeex View Post
I know where all the female BOFFS are!!!

I have them
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the ALIEN officers. As in, the custom-race template previously listed as "Unknown" which now explicitly says Alien as the race. Not Vulcans, Andorians, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I'd kill for a male betazoid science officer.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Bumping this again. My bug ticket is now listed as "Submitted", but it clearly hasn't been fixed yet. Every Alien (custom-race) officer given by missions is male, which means every Alien officer on the exchange (other than the common "Unknown" ones that can be purchased) is male. I really wanted a female engineer and female science officer, but I'm at 45 now. I've ditched my plans for the engineer, but I really need the science officer for RP reasons.

The problem is that if they wait too long to fix this, it'll be too late. You see, most of the "currencies" in this game are effectively infinite. BO skill points, merits, energy credits, exploration tokens... all of these are uncapped. But rare officers are a basically finite resource; you get one officer per level, so each person in the game will end up getting something like 8 very rare officers before hitting 45, and then never again until they raise the level cap. Since you can have 10 BOs, it means that as people hit 45, the demand for new purple officers will go up but the supply will only be provided by those few people just reaching the mid-30s who haven't realized that selling their new purple officers is a losing proposition.

This also causes problems for the lower rarities. Any uncommon or rare officer used to train another (hopefully no one's doing with with a purple) is taken out of the economy permanently and can't be replaced. Granted we've got a good supply of these (30 or 40 per player), but we're already reaching the point where Rare officers are cheaper than Uncommons because there are fewer greens and they were used more for skill training.

Of course, you only really need the good traits for four officers (your ground team), and many of the rare III skills aren't worth the higher slot they require. But since no one seems to want to buy purple Ferengi officers (and a few other races also have low demand), the supply is still a bit limited.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2010, 05:46 PM
I wanted an all female Klingon bridge crew for my hare-....uh....starship....but I just can't get it done Federation side. The only Klingon Bridge Officers that are specifically marked as female, are science officers. I know you can get them in other positions since I got lucky getting a gender unmarked Klingon Engineer off the exchange who turned out to be female when I bought and commissioned her.

If I want to get a female Klingon tactical officer or another engineer, I'm gonna have to constantly buy them off the exchange until I get lucky. Why? It's just so utterly pointless for the information to be unavailable to me. I should be able to type 'klingon female' into the search and see every single one! I honestly wouldn't give a damn if, like I said, it wasn't so completely pointless to deny me the info!
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-16-2010, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiala View Post
If only...

The names can sometimes give it away for some races, but try guessing for an Aliengen.

Human: Aaron, male
Vulcan: T'whatever, female
Alien: Quehtnay <- What gender is that?!?
I thought this was the case as well. I even went to the trouble of playing with the random name generator for alien races so that I could get a feel of what gender I'd be buying. However, I scrapped this theory when I ended up getting a human male named Ivory. He had dark skin too. The irony.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Bumping this again. My bug ticket is now listed as "Submitted", but it clearly hasn't been fixed yet. Every Alien (custom-race) officer given by missions is male, which means every Alien officer on the exchange (other than the common "Unknown" ones that can be purchased) is male. I really wanted a female engineer and female science officer, but I'm at 45 now. I've ditched my plans for the engineer, but I really need the science officer for RP reasons.

The problem is that if they wait too long to fix this, it'll be too late. You see, most of the "currencies" in this game are effectively infinite. BO skill points, merits, energy credits, exploration tokens... all of these are uncapped. But rare officers are a basically finite resource; you get one officer per level, so each person in the game will end up getting something like 8 very rare officers before hitting 45, and then never again until they raise the level cap. Since you can have 10 BOs, it means that as people hit 45, the demand for new purple officers will go up but the supply will only be provided by those few people just reaching the mid-30s who haven't realized that selling their new purple officers is a losing proposition.

This also causes problems for the lower rarities. Any uncommon or rare officer used to train another (hopefully no one's doing with with a purple) is taken out of the economy permanently and can't be replaced. Granted we've got a good supply of these (30 or 40 per player), but we're already reaching the point where Rare officers are cheaper than Uncommons because there are fewer greens and they were used more for skill training.

Of course, you only really need the good traits for four officers (your ground team), and many of the rare III skills aren't worth the higher slot they require. But since no one seems to want to buy purple Ferengi officers (and a few other races also have low demand), the supply is still a bit limited.
I agree with this, and I'm glad that you posted about it. I was actually looking to start a similar thread if one didn't already exist.

Personally, I am hoping for the ability to eventually change gender of BOs just as you would rename them or alter their costume. Seeing as there are no other things to spend credits on atm, I've blown over 2mil credits just looking for a female Bolian Engineering Officer with no luck. Sure it's trivial, but I have my crew planned out, and it's significant enough to me. In the process of looking for one, I now have three Very Rare Bolian Male Engineering officers in my Requisitions list who have exactly the traits I wanted. I have no intent of getting rid of them should there even be a possibility that Cryptic can accommodate us on this matter.