Lt. Commander
# 21
02-16-2010, 03:02 AM
I got a Human BO named Angel. Guess what....sigh...damn vampires

Also, I really do want to see gender on quest rewards on in the exchange, but I can wait if other things are more important. Why not buy an Unknown female from Elsa? I did. I know its not blue quality, but meh, it works.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaelinTerenes
Why not buy an Unknown female from Elsa? I did. I know its not blue quality, but meh, it works.
No, it really doesn't. Two reasons:
1> Raw power. Comparing a common to a Very Rare, both have two normal traits, the common has two Basics (half strength) while the purple has two Superiors (1.5 strength), meaning it's a 5:3 advantage in power. If your officer will always stay in space this doesn't really matter, but for anyone you want to bring on an away team it's not a minor issue, ESPECIALLY if you're planning for the long term.

2> Trait flexibility. The storebought commons use preset templates for their traits, so you're stuck with things like cold resistance and such. The quest-reward officers use a random selection of traits, which can often give you a better combo than you'd find otherwise. For instance, my new purple tactical officer has Superior Aggressive, Soldier, Superior Teamwork (the team +exploit one), and Acute Senses (+exploit); try finding a storebought tactical officer with a combo like that.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatzimaus View Post
No, it really doesn't. Two reasons:
1> Raw power. Comparing a common to a Very Rare, both have two normal traits, the common has two Basics (half strength) while the purple has two Superiors (1.5 strength), meaning it's a 5:3 advantage in power. If your officer will always stay in space this doesn't really matter, but for anyone you want to bring on an away team it's not a minor issue, ESPECIALLY if you're planning for the long term.

2> Trait flexibility. The storebought commons use preset templates for their traits, so you're stuck with things like cold resistance and such. The quest-reward officers use a random selection of traits, which can often give you a better combo than you'd find otherwise. For instance, my new purple tactical officer has Superior Aggressive, Soldier, Superior Teamwork (the team +exploit one), and Acute Senses (+exploit); try finding a storebought tactical officer with a combo like that.
Fair enough, though again as you said, if they never hit the ground on an away mission, those traits are useless since it seems typically space traits arn't found on BOs.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I've been made to wonder. If space traits on Bridge officers have an effect. I've seen Saurians with efficiency and I know my Borg boff has it does it apply universally or only to the skills they have?
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frhom
I've been made to wonder. If space traits on Bridge officers have an effect. I've seen Saurians with efficiency and I know my Borg boff has it does it apply universally or only to the skills they have?
Universally, so yes, it's a big plus to use those officers in space. There are a few racial traits that also work this way, like I think the Human repair bonus. Since these can never be in the Basic/Superior slots, there's no reason to go for rare officers to get these bonuses. But that's yet another reason to want rare officers in general; if one of the officer's four slots is being used for Efficient, then that only leaves three slots for ground traits, so getting two Superiors in those three instead of two Basics is a noticeable difference. A good example of this is the pre-order Borg BO; one of her four traits is Efficient, but she's a Very Rare so two of her other three are Superiors (the Born nanite attack and the Borg regeneration).

Space traits are VERY valuable, because it's easy enough to find four officers with good ground traits and use them for your away team. That's why my captain's traits are Accurate (+0.1 accuracy in space), Elusive (+0.1 defense in space), Efficient, and Warp Theorist (+10 Warp Core Engineering). Sure, I might be a bit less effective on the ground, but my officers make up for that just fine, and those space bonuses are especially valuable.

Now granted, these bonuses are never huge; Lucky, for instance, is +1.5/3.0/4.5% to crit rate and exposes on ground attacks. So not having good traits won't make a character unplayable, but for people who want to min/max it's something to watch for.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-16-2010, 05:24 PM
From all of my searching Efficient is the only space trait I have seen on bridge officers aside from the human innate leadership which seems to be listed as a ground trait when viewing the officers. Are there any other traits and do they often occur for specific races? Three of the rare saurian I've encountered had efficient.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatzimaus View Post
The chances of this happening naturally would be 1 in 4096, so I have to assume that the game simply doesn't generate female Alien officers when assigning them initially.
I have got a female Alien in Open Beta. But not on live so far. But your assumption with 1 in 4096 is only true if chances are equal. But we could asume that maybe a lot of players keep the female Aliens and drop the male Aliens to exchange. This could be the simple reason for the bad chances of buying one.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurit View Post
I have got a female Alien in Open Beta. But not on live so far. But your assumption with 1 in 4096 is only true if chances are equal. But we could asume that maybe a lot of players keep the female Aliens and drop the male Aliens to exchange. This could be the simple reason for the bad chances of buying one.
I understand that, and that was one of the possibilities I considered at first. But I'm now up to 0 for 60 or so, so I think it's pretty safe to rule a selection effect out. It's not "bad chances", it's simply not happening.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-17-2010, 07:10 AM
I just hit the Commission button and their picture shows up. I can then choose to Join, Train or Cancel if I dont like the gender for that BO.

I agree that in places like the Exchange they need to either show the image, or show the gender so people know what they are buying.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Diodes
There are no Benzite boffs. At all.

Not male, not female.

Not engineer, not science, not tactical.

Not at the vendor, not at the exchange.

rats.

I wanted my chief of security to be a benzite bodybuilder.
Yeah, what's up with that ? I wanted a Benzite for my crew and can't find one anywhere.