Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 21
03-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
That's not how 'obligatory' religious garb works. Turbans are one of the 5 K's that define a Sikh.
I know but, maybe it didn't fit in the cryo tube or he was going to put it on when he woke up but found that after three hundred years it disintegrated.

GORNZILLA
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
03-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandnaguszek1 View Post
I know but, maybe it didn't fit in the cryo tube or he was going to put it on when he woke up but found that after three hundred years it disintegrated.
That cryo tube would have allowed his turban to fit.

I think your idea of what turbans look like are limited to childrens' cartoons. In real life, turbans worn by Sikhs are wrapped very closely to the head and unobtrusive and lightweight as possible, particularly because they are a warrior culture and lightweight clothing is a general necessity.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147

Last edited by iconians; 03-08-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Captain
# 23
03-08-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm going with it disintegrated.

GORNZILLA
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
03-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Quote:
I'm going with it disintegrated.
Making up excuses for one of Gene Roddenberry's many blatant displays of ignorance in Star Trek is about as insensitive as you can get.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Captain
# 25
03-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
Making up excuses for one of Gene Roddenberry's many blatant displays of ignorance in Star Trek is about as insensitive as you can get.
I am just making other possible alternatives to make up for his ignorance.

GORNZILLA
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
03-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Quote:
I am just making other possible alternatives to make up for his ignorance.
I think that's worse than actually admitting his ignorance. Admitting his ignorance is a step in the right direction. And if that's the case, then trying to pin guilt to JJ Abrams and Benedict Cumberbatch for (in my opinion) the same crimes of ignorance as Gene Roddeberry was guilty of making is hypocrisy.

It's trying to find reasons for hating Into Darkness, and little else.

Are there many reasons to hate Into Darkness? Sure. Are there very reasonable arguments to be made regarding Benedict Cumberbatch's character? Sure.

But I don't think the cultural or ethnicity of Khan's portrayal should be a viable argument if the same person is perfectly fine with Ricardo Montalban's portrayal.
Career Officer
# 27
03-08-2014, 09:57 AM
As far as I can tell, the Eugenics war on earth in Khans time period was almost a second"Dark age" of humanity.Where packs of augments were playing "Risk" with real nations, humans, and "subordinate" augments.
"Khan" could have been an alpha augment in control of asia, and a Lord Farthington could have controlled europe and looked like a steroid jacked Aleutian, as far as I know.

I never took stock in either "Khan"s actual ethnic background.I just assumed the Augments in control of a territory just gave themselves their own names and titles. I am sure Khan, sounded better than Engineered Soldier 467 of Genetic strain gamma.

Just my 2 ECs.

And for the record,I liked both Khans.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Lieutenant
# 28
03-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by worffan101 View Post
Even his Mirror version knows when a plot is stupid: Star Trek: Into Whiteness
This was the only image they needed to post out of the entire thing:

http://media.tumblr.com/a3ce830c39da...Y6Y1qg9pkt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cEbFqLD.png
Captain
# 29
03-08-2014, 10:58 AM
I think that Khan Singh might have been intended to be ethnically Sikh (although I'm uncertain if that ethnicity is sufficiently distinct from Hindi), but the only religion we ever saw him follow was the religion of Khan Singh.

It's even more muddled by the movie, obviously, but then again, is there any reason to believe that a genetically-engineered Augment would possess the appearance of his supposed ethnicity?
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 30
03-08-2014, 11:50 AM
The only thing I can think of is that many cultural and religious traditions were lost in the chaos of WWIII, so that the India of Zefram Cochranes time was populated my Mexicans and Englishman (I still don't think Benedict Cumberbatch is THE SAME Khan), and the Sikh religion was changed to a different version from today.

Of cause this only works with the VOY / ENT / ID retcon of the Eugenics Wars.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.