Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
I don't think I would.

For all the reasons stated by far more people, this MMO, without Star Trek, would probably not be doing very well right now. This game really brings nothing new to the table, and the content seems to be far too cookie cutter and repetitive.

Fight ships. Beam down. Fight on the ground or press F a few times. Beam up. Fight more ships, Exit sector. Repeat.

You attach Star Trek to this game, though, and it's a whole new ballgame.

I felt the grind of repetition just getting to Lt.Cmdr, but the only carrot keeping me going was the thought of flying my own Nova, and progressing to other iconic ships that I've admired through the different series and movies.

There's the lure of visiting and interacting with iconic places we've seen over the years; where we've hoped to have a drink at Quark's, walk the beaches of Risa, and so on and so forth....

Then you beam down to Risa, and you can't help but feel a little disappointed. This is ALL we get?

It's the wrapping that makes this game appealing, and without it, I fear I wouldn't play.

I'm hoping for the best, though. I want to give the devs some time to see what they can cook up down the road. I want them to truly take advantage of this wonderful world we're playing in with our beautiful ships, sexy BO's, and custom uniforms.

I'm just hoping it happens before the shine wears off for me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I think your shine has already wore off and you're just living in denial now. There's nothing wrong with that. I've left dozens of games because they weren't right for me. As I always say, if we all liked the same thing we'd all be playing WoW now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
No, half the game is the star trek feel for me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
I'd play, but I probably wouldn't have gone for the lifetime sub.
Lt. Commander
# 5
To be honest, I wouldn't even know it existed if it wasn't Star Trek. Im glad i know though!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I would, and I also think the game would be getting better reviews if it DIDN'T have Star Trek and all the associated expectations of what a Star Trek game should be. You yourself stated an example of why I think the license is a big fat negative, at least critically.

Quote:
Then you beam down to Risa, and you can't help but feel a little disappointed. This is ALL we get?
If you were beaming down to Kuklumoopo in "Space Adventures Online", you wouldn't be expecting anything so you wouldn't be dissapointed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
I'd play, but I probably wouldn't have gone for the lifetime sub.
Probably the same here.

Though I'm a ship nut. If the ship designs were crappy I might not have played at all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Probably not, it's definitely the IP that first drew my attention a couple of years ago. It's the closest you can get to playing in the Star Trek universe, so that and the promise of what it could be, will keep me here.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamletthunktoomuch
I would, and I also think the game would be getting better reviews if it DIDN'T have Star Trek and all the associated expectations of what a Star Trek game should be. You yourself stated an example of why I think the license is a big fat negative, at least critically.

If you were beaming down to Kuklumoopo in "Space Adventures Online", you wouldn't be expecting anything so you wouldn't be dissapointed.
You know, on the flip side, that's a really good point. There's so much to live up with the expectations of so many fans attached to this game. We all hope we can engage in missions that reflect the episodes we know and love, and when we don't find that experience, it leaves us disappointed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamletthunktoomuch

This is a very good point. i agree