Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
No. I wouldn't have even looked at the game. I play mmos based on the IP that drives them. So you won't ever catch me playing some generic mmo based on no IP because I can't relate to them or get immersed in them (I've tried).
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
It would make sence to play this without the St up.

Next question; would you play this game is it was, instead of an mmo, a dice rolling game with millions of people.

The two questions are similar.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Good question. I'd have to say no, but not due to gameplay. The gameplay is fun enough by itself, but the Star Trek feel is what ultimately made me pre-order from beta.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I likely would not have tried it.

However, if someone had convinced me to try it, I would have liked it and very likely subbed up for a long while.

Star Trek got me in the door. The game itself has convinced me to stay.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm lucky enough that I have a great fleet that I've joined to make this game even more appealing. EVen if the gameplay may be somewhat vanilla for me, the people I play with are extremely helpful and fun to be ingame with.

I'm going to stick around, but like I said, I really hope Cryptic gives this baby some real wings.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't know if that's really a fair question to ask. The game was built around this all being about Star Trek. Being a Star Trek fan, I probably would have played it no matter what the game was like.

Lt. Cmdr Kevin T. Riley IV
Commanding Officer
U.S.S. Constellation
NCC-91017
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I probably wouldn't, simply because i dont like most space games.

And i think it would have gotten a MUCH better review and so on and be a simple little mmo trugging along like the rest without the IP

with the IP, as you said, its a new ballgame.

I love it, why? because for me, that lame dull patrol ? I can enjoy it because its got a star trek feel, and i can write my captains logs and....so on...so forth, etc.

Im happy.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I would be blowing up something with pink phasers right now.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-05-2010, 03:07 PM
SHorT ANSWER: No, i wouldnt.

Long Answer: I'd play it for a month, get bored, move back to EVE and WoW. This game has about the same kind of retention as City of Heroes did for me when i tried it. Fun for awhile, but ultimately shallow, repititive, and not long lasting.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Well, I'm digging STO and I don't care about Star Trek at all. And I really don't think the game would be doing terribly without the ST license.

People seem to forget that there's nowhere else to go if you want a pick-up-and-play style spaceships MMO, or even a sci-fi MMO for that matter.

For me, STO is just plain fun. I don't care if something violates canon, or if I cant put a miniskirt on a crew member, or if there's only 20 people in my sector space instead of 200, etc.

I have a good time while blowing stuff up in space. I have a good time while shooting stuff on the ground. I've been getting a steady stream of loot, having a blast in DSEs and I know I'll be having fun within 5 minutes every time I log on.

Maybe 1-2 months from now I'll have the "been there, done that" feeling, or maybe there just wont be enough of an endgame or other stuff to do to keep me going, but STO has been very refreshing. It doesn't do a lot of the things most MMOs do, and for the most part I consider that a good thing.