Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I doubt I would of paid any attention to it if it wasn't ST
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Well it being Star Trek got me intrested but if it was'nt fun for me to play I would'nt. Hence why dispite being a star wars nut I quit SWG when it was'nt fun any more IE right after the CU.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Even with the Star Trek IP attached, I don't play it. I swear, the server was down when I got up this morning, was still down when I went to work, and it's down when I get home. Grrrr....

-----------

Seriously though, I wouldn't have bought it without the Star Trek stuff. I'm not a hard-core trekkie. I've only been to one star trek convention, and I was in grade school at the time (two decades ago). I haven't even watched all of the TV shows, but the idea of having my own starship set in the star trek universe is definately appealing.

If this was just another generic space-based MMO, I would be playing Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2, or Dragon Age right now.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
The OP is asking a loaded question really, as the IP is as least as important to the player, as the game itself.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 03:31 PM
my main draw is being able to own/fly/captain upgrade a defiant class ship.

i also like the star trek universe/ ships/ characters weapons, ship combat, lore etc etc.

do I feel it could be way better? yes. but i dont know if its the 'flaws' which make it terribad, or if it is terribad all around. with the flaws there and hard to look past, its hard to know if it could be better with out them.

i do think it will be significantly better a year from now. great 2 years from now. and epic 3-4 years from now.

however there will need to possibly be drastic changes and or all flaws gone.

this is only my opinion, but since you asked im giving it.

only being able to do stuff when a linear quest permits is a big flaw right now. theres no 'second star to the right and straight on till morning' feeling. Yes that would be boring going to the second star on the right, but im not trying to convey it literally but rather what it represents. you can't do anything unless prompted by quest or a bridge officer pop up.

theres no wondering whats around the next corner... a wormhole which could take you to some place terrible or wonderous, where you could run across a planet to find epic loot, or a cool civilization and mingle among them, do side quests for them, get stuff etc etc...

theres no 'distress calls' unless scripted. it just..........well being an mmo and a star trek mmo i expected this game to be me be all end game for years. i cant replay games. mass effect? one play through. i know the story, i dont care to play through it again with a different character setting. eve is the only game i ever played for years. in that game i led a nice big corp so that was fun and kept me playing for years.

there just doesnt seem to be anything in star trek to keep me beyond the first month of play....at least not right now. and i hate to admit it to myself.

i just think that in 2010 it could have been more epic.

missions and the script is fine. but after that what do you do once you have done all missions and you are admiral? 5 man raid episodes over and over and over? to what end?

id like to see a dynamic living breathing world.

lets leave out the the tacked on klingons for now.

i think one big flaw is forcing everyone into starfleet and into that career. it should have been open ended. as in you could be a trader/pirate/free lancer/do anythinger combination of anything. with the option to join starfleet too. an alignment system...like you dont need to be shot at every time you go to cardassian space. where are the friendlies? its just a too linear box what one would expect in a single player game.

a combination of x3: terran conflict. universal combat (collectors edition), bridge commander/elite force/fallen all wrapped in a dynamic evolving universe.

whats here is not dynamic its not evolving and its not persistent, except the servers are always up. you can have that in any saved game.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 03:31 PM
If it wasn't Startrek I wouldn't play it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahzaar View Post
I don't think I would.
I wouldn't either. I'll explain later.

Quote:
I felt the grind of repetition just getting to Lt.Cmdr, but the only carrot keeping me going was the thought of flying my own Nova, and progressing to other iconic ships that I've admired through the different series and movies.
Hmm, we have to different experiences. I am almost Commander now, 2 grades away. I have yet to have any sense of Grinding for almost everything I have done has been a different mission. Sure, I have repeated all of the Exploration mission thus far as well as done all the Secure Sector missions I can do a few times over as well. I do not sit there and do those missions over and over just to get experience or gear. That would grinding. I have yet had the need, with the seeming endless amounts of missions I can undertake.

My mission list has yet to drop down below 5 accepted Missions. I accept all available missions to me, going to the various Starbases within my field level and talking to NPCs so they will give me their missions through the Hailing Frequencies.

My opinion, the only one forcing you to grind is you. If you want out of the grind, stop grinding and play the missions in the game.

Quote:
There's the lure of visiting and interacting with iconic places we've seen over the years; where we've hoped to have a drink at Quark's, walk the beaches of Risa, and so on and so forth....

Then you beam down to Risa, and you can't help but feel a little disappointed. This is ALL we get?
I do agree with you here though, these iconic places all need to completed. I get the feeling, since this was a rushed release, that the content for these places is still yet to come.

This is the nature of this game that is what appealed to me and keeps me playing. The fact that it is Star Trek and I can go and explore and experience all the Star Trek flavor is the key selling point as well as keeping point for me. Without all the Explorable and Experience-able lore of the most iconic of places, such as Quarks, Risa, even Vulcan and Earth (just to name a few examples), much of this flavor will begin to wane a lot later in the game after I have experienced most of the Missions and Story-lines.

Such places are Community Hot-spots, or have the potential to be such. As with any MMO, the Community is one of the most important things in the game itself. Explore this, expand upon it, and enrich the Community with these icons from the Star Trek Universe and it will only be a boon. On the flp-side, ignore and deprive the Community of such and it will work in opposite.

I have a long ways to go before I will begin to feel the impact of these. Right now, the game is highly entertaining and as well as immersive, in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM
If it was the same basic structure and setup and had compelling ships and weapons and skills and such I do believe I'd be playing it, yes.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Bit of a stupid thread in my opinion. "Would you play WoW if it didn't have ********" "Would you have played SWG if it didn't have Star Wars". etc etc. The brand is a big part of any game, whether it is terrific or not, its one of the things that draws in large numbers of customers. I personally think the game is perfectly fine for its current state, yes there are a few bugs and a few combat/visual issues that are being addressed as we speak. But hey, I'm just looking forward to the game growing.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamletthunktoomuch
I would, and I also think the game would be getting better reviews if it DIDN'T have Star Trek and all the associated expectations of what a Star Trek game should be. You yourself stated an example of why I think the license is a big fat negative, at least critically.

If you were beaming down to Kuklumoopo in "Space Adventures Online", you wouldn't be expecting anything so you wouldn't be dissapointed.
To answer the original post question - HELL NO.

To address the above, I couldnt disagree more with all these points. The fact the Star Trek name and association is there is the only thing keeping it from being ***** worse in the reviews then it already is, the hope it will improve. If you took away the look and feel of Star Trek and the iconic atmosphere, as a game alone this would be very lacking for a new MMO in 2010. Not at all in depth, no open world roving/exploring, rinse and repeat of at best 8 different varieties of missions to gain skills.

If the game had me beam down to a place called Kuklumoopo in a title called "Space Adventures Online" I'd LOL in real life until I whiz myself and then poke fun at it on my blog with friends at all the obvious cliche's of trying to rip off Star Trek and Star Wars. And I wouldnt even consider touching it. Its because IT IS Star Trek that I am even giving it a shot. I think 75% or better of the players here are the same mindset on that.