Lt. Commander
# 1 Too much combat for me
02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
OK... I am not a hardcore player. I am a CASUAL. I am finding way too many mobs every time I try to scan an asteroid. I have been playing 4 hours... just getting frustrated and angry. I expect combat at higher levels. But this is ridiculous. STO is fast losing me... Why I can't I just complete a mission without having to respawn 6 to 8 times.

I find the movement controls unwieldy and I can't run from combat. The mobs are relentless. I don't like this.

if you want casual players, this is not the way to get and keep them. I had high hopes and was excited. Now, not so much. I wish I hadn't bought the game and I doubt that I will continue after the free month. Too bad.

If I am missing something, there is no way that I can find out how to play better.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Try to get gear from the fleet actions. It really helps when doing missions after you get it. You'll be able to take on about 4 average ships at a time if you have the gear for it, and harder bosses will be a cakewalk.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Sounds like this isnt the right game for you..

Even casual players need to expect there to be combat. You should not have to respawn (die) if you are doing missions appropriate to your level. If you're having that much trouble with the controls in combat you might see what you can change about the controls to make it better for you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickElf
Try to get gear from the fleet actions. It really helps when doing missions after you get it. You'll be able to take on about 4 average ships at a time if you have the gear for it, and harder bosses will be a cakewalk.

I have no idea what "fleet actions" are. I can't find any information for beginning players.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm in the same boat... but I doubt this game will become any less combat based any time soon...
Lt. Commander
# 6 help
02-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Click on hail starfleet icon at the mini map.. talk to the officers there. they will tell you everything you need to know..
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
Sounds like this isnt the right game for you..

Even casual players need to expect there to be combat. You should not have to respawn (die) if you are doing missions appropriate to your level. If you're having that much trouble with the controls in combat you might see what you can change about the controls to make it better for you.
I will keep TRYING to play during my FREE month. As a WoW player for 3 years, I am not inexperienced. But there is no information. There is no help to find. I DO not to GROUP for everything.

You are correct, This may not be for me. but since I paid for the game, I intend to try. I did try to change the controls. I do not LIKE using the keyboard. I do not type so I don't have the keyboard memorized.

I keep being attacked by 5 mobs at a time. One I can handle but not 5 at one time. If there is a "newbie area" it is not clearly indicated. I have been doing the missions as they were given to me. If they are too high for me, there is no way to tell.

If this is not for casual players, they should tell you in the game info.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLadyTN View Post
OK... I am not a hardcore player. I am a CASUAL. I am finding way too many mobs every time I try to scan an asteroid.
I have never had mobs spawn when I do a scan. It just points the way to data samples for Memory Alpha.

Quote:
I have been playing 4 hours... just getting frustrated and angry. I expect combat at higher levels. But this is ridiculous. STO is fast losing me... Why I can't I just complete a mission without having to respawn 6 to 8 times.
Why? Honestly it sounds like you are doing something wrong. I haven't died once in from when I started to Lt Commander where I am now. Also there is no death penalty really.

Quote:
I find the movement controls unwieldy and I can't run from combat. The mobs are relentless. I don't like this.
You can escape from combat, I do it all the time. In ground combat you can sprint away from mobs. In space, turn opposite the ship, put your shields on rear, and change you power levels to speed to gain distance from them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
maybe the SIMS would be a better fit... There is no more combat than any other game. Do you want to collect 10 X and deliver them somehwere?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 03:01 PM
It is your tatics that is not correct. or you just suck. cause i take on the same and kill them with ease though it takes time. Check to make sure you have your skills set and bridge officers are a key too.