Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
maybe the SIMS would be a better fit... There is no more combat than any other game. Do you want to collect 10 X and deliver them somehwere?
Not a very helpful post. this is MY experience. If it is not yours, just click by.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLadyTN View Post
If there is a "newbie area" it is not clearly indicated.
The tutorial, where you are taught the commands from the popup windows, get your bridge officer, fight the borg spheres, etc is the newbie area.

Quote:
I have been doing the missions as they were given to me. If they are too high for me, there is no way to tell.
Sure there is. When you open your journal to see your quests all the quests have a level indicator next to them tell the rank and level of the rank that the mission is.

Also when you fight a mob it tells you its level compared to yours in a little circle to the left of the image for it when you target it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:
OK... I am not a hardcore player. I am a CASUAL. I am finding way too many mobs every time I try to scan an asteroid. I have been playing 4 hours... just getting frustrated and angry. I expect combat at higher levels. But this is ridiculous. STO is fast losing me... Why I can't I just complete a mission without having to respawn 6 to 8 times.

I find the movement controls unwieldy and I can't run from combat. The mobs are relentless. I don't like this.

if you want casual players, this is not the way to get and keep them. I had high hopes and was excited. Now, not so much. I wish I hadn't bought the game and I doubt that I will continue after the free month. Too bad.

If I am missing something, there is no way that I can find out how to play better.
I'm pretty casual too...you can go to options and adjust key binds. make the controls however you want them...i did! you can run soon enough from mobs if you're about to die with a power given to you called evasive maneuvers. don't worry there's two things happening here. The game is kinda not just perfect yet from being so new. The first 10 or so levels in any game is really just a getting started point, dunno how many MMO's you've played before. It gets more fun the more you can do tho usually. Don't worry it's fun once you get used to it. Seriously take a look at your keybinds and change them to something better for you.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwynd View Post
I have never had mobs spawn when I do a scan. It just points the way to data samples for Memory Alpha.

Why? Honestly it sounds like you are doing something wrong. I haven't died once in from when I started to Lt Commander where I am now. Also there is no death penalty really.

You can escape from combat, I do it all the time. In ground combat you can sprint away from mobs. In space, turn opposite the ship, put your shields on rear, and change you power levels to speed to gain distance from them.
yes, I agree I am doing something wrong. BUT WHAT!?!?! There is no help to find. When I start a scan, enemies start attacking and then I am dead in space. I cannot move. I am stopped. If I CAN move I do, but they follow and kill me. I can't get far enough away for them to lose interest. I have only done one ground mission. Where are more?!?!

Why isn't there more helpful info?!?!

L2P noob is not helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
I will keep TRYING to play during my FREE month. As a WoW player for 3 years, I am not inexperienced. But there is no information. There is no help to find. I DO not to GROUP for everything.

You are correct, This may not be for me. but since I paid for the game, I intend to try. I did try to change the controls. I do not LIKE using the keyboard. I do not type so I don't have the keyboard memorized.

I keep being attacked by 5 mobs at a time. One I can handle but not 5 at one time. If there is a "newbie area" it is not clearly indicated. I have been doing the missions as they were given to me. If they are too high for me, there is no way to tell.

If this is not for casual players, they should tell you in the game info.
Im not sure where you are doing missions at. Try Hailing Starfleet for so new ones. I have found this game way to easy so far. Haven't died yet and I was just thinking there were not enough things to fight in most regions.

And you played WoW for 3 years? Umm.. WoW is all combat.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Someone recommended Fleet Actions for a player who thinks there's too much combat already? *chuckles*

I think the combat is fine... I just think they are going to learn the hard-way that you need detailed and abundant non-combat activities to keep a person paying for a MMO game...

Otherwise it's tokens in an arcade game... =) (if those even still exist =D)

I suspect the first significant wave of unsubscribers (not including the plain -old hot-heads, because they'll leave no matter what you do) are going to be people looking for something more substantial than a shoot-em-up with memory like they could have had on their X-Box 1... =D

I predict that Cryptic is going to rush towards end-game content (which is always a euphemism for macho PvP stuff) to placate those people (undeservedly) and in that race, they are going to neglect the expansion of non-combat activities... That's gonna cost them...

/endNastradamusMode
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I think you need to adjust your power settings and learn to use you shield distribution buttons more. Knowing how to put more power to a shield that is going down fast is essential to survival. You really should not be having such a hard time in the missions. they are set up for you to be able to solo them if that's how you wish to play.

the buttons are:
delete to balance shields
up arrow for front
Down arrow for rear
left arrow for left shield
right arrow for right shield

Use these keys, they keep you alive!

Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Quote:
yes, I agree I am doing something wrong. BUT WHAT!?!?! There is no help to find. When I start a scan, enemies start attacking and then I am dead in space. I cannot move. I am stopped. If I CAN move I do, but they follow and kill me. I can't get far enough away for them to lose interest. I have only done one ground mission. Where are more?!?!

L2P noob is not helpful.
umm fight back.... they have the game set to easy... its nearly impossible to lose. You cant run away. Scanning whatever is just an excuse to engage you in combat.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:

L2P noob is not helpful.
You're pretty f-ing ignorant. I tried to help you and gave honest and as helpful of answers as I could to your questions. You are the one that's hostile. I didn't tell you to L2P, I told you how to tell what level quests were, how to run from combat in ground AND in space, I told you how to tell what level mobs were, what else do you want?!!

When ever a mission starts you are always in a safe area away from mobs unless it is possibly a deep space encounter or fleet action. Scanning DOES NOT bring mobs down upon you, maybe you just dont know the term for what you are actually doing yet.

I hope you quit, I'm done helping you, let these other people deal with your attitude.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someGit View Post
Someone recommended Fleet Actions for a player who thinks there's too much combat already? *chuckles*

I think the combat is fine... I just think they are going to learn the hard-way that you need detailed and abundant non-combat activities to keep a person paying for a MMO game...

Otherwise it's tokens in an arcade game... =) (if those even still exist =D)

I suspect the first significant wave of unsubscribers (not including the plain -old hot-heads, because they'll leave no matter what you do) are going to be people looking for something more substantial than a shoot-em-up with memory like they could have had on their X-Box 1... =D

I predict that Cryptic is going to rush towards end-game content (which is always a euphemism for macho PvP stuff) to placate those people (undeservedly) and in that race, they are going to neglect the expansion of non-combat activities... That's gonna cost them...

/endNastradamusMode
no more than likely they will dumb it down even more - and drive off real gamers - to suit crappy players and give us cutesy animated companions and silly emotes...

Cryptic hasnt ever done an end game so I doubt they even know what that is.