Lt. Commander
# 21
02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutis78 View Post
I think you need to adjust your power settings and learn to use you shield distribution buttons more. Knowing how to put more power to a shield that is going down fast is essential to survival. You really should not be having such a hard time in the missions. they are set up for you to be able to solo them if that's how you wish to play.

the buttons are:
delete to balance shields
up arrow for front
Down arrow for rear
left arrow for left shield
right arrow for right shield

Use these keys, they keep you alive!

Hope this helps.
Yes, I do use these keys. I have equipped batteries and other things. I have two BOs, one tactical and one engineering. I am reading tooltips and making intelligent decisions. ( at least in MY opinion.) I have been playing CRPGs since 1986 and MMOs since EQ.

I have talked to the Fleet officers and they have offered missions to kill more mobs. I have talked to people on the space station. I have pressed every button and read every message.

Lt. Commander
# 22
02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLadyTN View Post
OK... I am not a hardcore player. I am a CASUAL. I am finding way too many mobs every time I try to scan an asteroid. I have been playing 4 hours... just getting frustrated and angry. I expect combat at higher levels. But this is ridiculous. STO is fast losing me... Why I can't I just complete a mission without having to respawn 6 to 8 times.

I find the movement controls unwieldy and I can't run from combat. The mobs are relentless. I don't like this.

if you want casual players, this is not the way to get and keep them. I had high hopes and was excited. Now, not so much. I wish I hadn't bought the game and I doubt that I will continue after the free month. Too bad.

If I am missing something, there is no way that I can find out how to play better.
You are missing something. I've been able to solo any mission in any ship type w/o an issue - even if the ships are +3 or +4 to me. It all has to do with the skills you train yourself in and your boffs. This is an MMO so it will be HIGHLY combat driven. Hence why it's set in a time of war. This game is not going to be mostly the peace loving ST TV shows we are used to. It will be about 80% combat.

And yes you can run from combat EASILY.

Route all power to engines, use evasive maneuvers (or engine battery pack), and you will zip right out of the 10km range.. and just keep going.

You can also run away on the ground as well... put all people in passive and sprint
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
To original poster:

Learn to manage your ship, power levels, redistribute shields, your captain and bridge officer powers. Get better ship gear, upgrade your skills to become better at things etc., use situational awareness in combat, maneuver your camera and visually check for enemies.

From all the missions I have done so far, there never was a time when I was just doing a scan and "oops" enemies spawn on top of me, they are there from before if you look, I don't understand what you could be doing wrong. This game has very easy non-challenging combat at earlier levels.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
It would help to know what you are trying to do. Using the scan is for after a mission, just do the quest, then scan for anomalies. If you are doing sector patrol, it is only combat and nothing else. If you are doing the missions, they have a few other things to do.

With the UI, use nuber 3 of the 3 options. It will give you 3 rows to fill with skills so you can use your mouse and not the keyboard if you want. Press the "P" key to see all your skills. You can grab each skill and drop it into one of the open spots so you can click it to activate it. It will also tell you what it does.

Protect your shields and right click on both your phaser symbols to turn them green for auto-fire. When you are within 10km of a mob, it will fight you. Watch your distance. When you get within 10km, hit the space bar and you will continue to fire phasers on auto til the mobs are dead. Just play with it. It is simple once you figure out auto fire and balance shields.

Good luck and if you need help in game. Just send me a tell. I am Skylan@Skylan. I hope thing turn around for you. It is anfun game once you get the hang of it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLadyTN View Post
OK... I am not a hardcore player. I am a CASUAL. I am finding way too many mobs every time I try to scan an asteroid. I have been playing 4 hours... just getting frustrated and angry. I expect combat at higher levels. But this is ridiculous. STO is fast losing me... Why I can't I just complete a mission without having to respawn 6 to 8 times.

I find the movement controls unwieldy and I can't run from combat. The mobs are relentless. I don't like this.

if you want casual players, this is not the way to get and keep them. I had high hopes and was excited. Now, not so much. I wish I hadn't bought the game and I doubt that I will continue after the free month. Too bad.

If I am missing something, there is no way that I can find out how to play better.
8 / 10

For 0.02 nanoseconds I believed you are serious. Thats almost a new record.

Very funny, congrats!
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBear
You are missing something. I've been able to solo any mission in any ship type w/o an issue - even if the ships are +3 or +4 to me. It all has to do with the skills you train yourself in and your boffs. This is an MMO so it will be HIGHLY combat driven. Hence why it's set in a time of war. This game is not going to be mostly the peace loving ST TV shows we are used to. It will be about 80% combat.

And yes you can run from combat EASILY.

Route all power to engines, use evasive maneuvers (or engine battery pack), and you will zip right out of the 10km range.. and just keep going.

You can also run away on the ground as well... put all people in passive and sprint
i didnt upgrade weapons, train skills, train BOs or even have a complete bridge crew until i was 1/2 thru lt commander and started to PVP. It doesnt take any skill.

All cat lazy needs to is hit tab spacebar spacebar. Or just go sunbathe in Risa and chit chat
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I think I know the type of mission you are talking about, its one where you are supposed to scan 5 asteroids or some such thing. A few things to keep in mind, the instances scale to the number of people on your team. I see you said you weren't teamed, but just wanted to point that out. I was auto'd on to a team of 5, but three were not there so it was a pain and ended up dropping it and doing it again.

Everyone has said it, but watch the power levels, when you go to full impulse, it drains your other systems, so you may want to slow down before you are in range of the enemies to get your weapons and shields topped off.

Take it slow. I have found going after the smaller ships first is a very good idea, lowers the total damage you are taking.

You may also want to open up the teaming for the stuff in the very beginning, tons of people doing them and it does help with getting through the first bit until your BOs have their skills up. I tend to max out the skills for space combat for my tactical officer first, then max out emergency power to shields, not saying that is the way to go, but seems to have worked for me so far.

If it seems to be just one mission, maybe if you can give us the mission name, we may be able to provide more help.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I am sorry if my replies have been taken as attacks. It is my frustration speaking.

I have tried everything everyone has mentioned. I am not an inexperienced player.

I mission I am trying to do is to scan for some kind of ore. I was going top try to get the exact name but the server is down. I do a space scan and I get a message that there are three anomalies in the area. I fly around and see red dots on the minimap. I try to fly the other way. I keep flying and find an anomaly and start to scan it. Then I am attacked. I try to fly away but the ship will not move. I press every button I can but no movement. I balance shields, I click my engineer BO I start firing weapons. I am attacked by five enemies and I am pressing balance, extra power, extra shields, firing, balancing, trying to move, balancing, firing.... kill a mob, and then die.

Rinse repeat.

Again, I did not intend to insult or attack any poster... well maybe one. I appreciate the attempts at help. But I have tried all those things already.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
no more than likely they will dumb it down even more - and drive off real gamers - to suit crappy players and give us cutesy animated companions and silly emotes...

Cryptic hasnt ever done an end game so I doubt they even know what that is.
Why do I have the feeling you were drinking an energy drink then set it down next to picture of Megan Fox on the hood of a Camaro when you typed this?

=)
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
ok first of all why would you be compllaining about to many mobs...and once they fix that than you will be crying about there not being enough mobs....and how are you suposed to skill up if there is nothing to kill >.<