Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
need nerfed....it's how we have a retarded amount of admirals already only a couple days after release.

as it stands you get a HUGE hunk of xp for doing them....they're on a relatively short timer..not to mention you can just swap instances and catch one about to start sooner.

they either need to only be able to be done once..or some kind of diminishing return...sure give out that huge hunk of XP the FIRST TIME ONLY..after that...small xp or something....

Personally I do em once and don't go back to the same one...I hit missions up. I can understand everyone having their own opinion on what's too fast to level and/or what's fun...but having so many hit the level cap within a DAY OR TWO of release....certainly you gotta admit somethings wrong with that?

let them you say? they'll get bored and leave?

that's the problem...the ones that rush to max level and leave...stop playing..meaning less money for Cryptic..which in the end will mean less support for the game.....let's not let this become another Champions Online (where we don't hear from devs for MONTHS then they decide to roll out a patch that borks the game worse then it was before.)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Prepare to be bombarded by RP'er and fanboys who say that you miss all of the missions by doing the same thing over and over. What they don't realize is that 95% of the "episodes" are the same recycled mission, far more boring and take 5x as long for the same exp, the only saving grace is the broken quest rewards. (btw those mk 4 engines from gateway are still the best engines in the GAME, nothing else gives 15 energy on that slot)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 04:10 PM
something needs to be done about the defend the sectors... they catch afk players that really screw up players actually at the keyboard. I try to fly a couple light years away and im thrown inside 2-3 of these when i dotn want to go in these... its very annoying. Personally i hate doing them and have only done them 3 times which is why im still LC4 but anyway, they are annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g13kryptic View Post
something needs to be done about the defend the sectors... they catch afk players that really screw up players actually at the keyboard. I try to fly a couple light years away and im thrown inside 2-3 of these when i dotn want to go in these... its very annoying. Personally i hate doing them and have only done them 3 times which is why im still LC4 but anyway, they are annoying.
If you want to go afk in sector space, go to your bridge. You won't get sucked in to those meandering enemy encounters.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I would prefer (strongly) diminishing returns + reduced timer, around 6 minutes or so gets boring quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Just do the same timer that they have on explorations.
You can get the "quest reward" once an hour.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 04:30 PM
problem with all this as well.. is that there is a lack of content ATM. during open beta and headstart/live, i go through the game doing EVERY mission/quest as it comes along.. i will usually press J and find the mission with the lowest grade ranking, and finish that, and move on the the next highest difficulty mission. meaning i almost never take missions above my level.

problem i have encountered with this, is once you start getting into the commander levels (21-30), you start to run out of missions to do. and since new missions unlock at each new level, it is possible to do all the missions up to your level, and still need 600xp to level up before you unlock more missions.

in these cases, you have NO CHOICE but to jump into the repeatable missions, such as the DEFEND SECTORS.

in this case as well, its a double edged sword. those people, like myself, that just want to do story quests, dont want to spend hours grinding in the DEFEND SECTORs repeatables... so the XP reward has to be a reasonable amount so that i dont have to do it all day just to unlock my next tier of quests.

on the other hand, you have people that want to just level as fast as possible, and dont care about story or experiance, and the defend missions are an easy exploit, especially if you have a good team of players.

last night i jumped into the Iota Pavaris defend mission, and on average it took about 5 mins to clear a map, switch instances andrepeat 2 more times. add in some downtime, and you are looking at 20-25 mins and an XP reward of 414... plus the xp for killing ships.. maybe like 150xp.

so something does need to change. i would think more story content is needed at all levels, and repeatable quests are worth less
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzin
Just do the same timer that they have on explorations.
You can get the "quest reward" once an hour.
Now this sounds like an idea! Way to go, sir!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suron
need nerfed....it's how we have a retarded amount of admirals already only a couple days after release.

as it stands you get a HUGE hunk of xp for doing them....they're on a relatively short timer..not to mention you can just swap instances and catch one about to start sooner.

they either need to only be able to be done once..or some kind of diminishing return...sure give out that huge hunk of XP the FIRST TIME ONLY..after that...small xp or something....

Personally I do em once and don't go back to the same one...I hit missions up. I can understand everyone having their own opinion on what's too fast to level and/or what's fun...but having so many hit the level cap within a DAY OR TWO of release....certainly you gotta admit somethings wrong with that?

let them you say? they'll get bored and leave?

that's the problem...the ones that rush to max level and leave...stop playing..meaning less money for Cryptic..which in the end will mean less support for the game.....let's not let this become another Champions Online (where we don't hear from devs for MONTHS then they decide to roll out a patch that borks the game worse then it was before.)
I think this falls under "you play your game, and they'll play their game". Personally, I find sitting in the fleet actions a tad boring after a few engagements. But, I''m not paying their monthly fees, so I'm not going to tell them they can't do it this way or that way.

I understand that it might be slightly irritating that people get to Admiral less than a week after launch, but what does it truly affect? Aside from their sleep patterns, I mean. Some people have to be first ... or top level.. or whatever before others. Let them be bored. But, don't start taking aspects of the game away from me, and other players, just because a small percentage of players are using it in a way that we don't like.

As to Cryptic losing money, the capacity problems they're having would contradict them having an issue with a few players being bored and leaving.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaranaRo View Post
If you want to go afk in sector space, go to your bridge. You won't get sucked in to those meandering enemy encounters.
Which is a good idea, but I got nailed twice by them when I was at the keyboard within seconds. I mean I literally turned my attention away from sector space for all of a few seconds. Hell, one of those freaking contacts sucked me in when I bothered to sneeze and had to wipe my nose. They're ridiculous. Sure I can go to the bridge, but the point is, why should I have to? If I've set an auto course to another sector block and its going to take a few minutes to get there I have to sit and watch for those annoying enemy contacts? Because if I go to the bridge the ship stops moving.