Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 63
# 11 How about...
03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
How about all of you complaining about the Nebula just learn how to build ships better? You're obviously lacking in the loadout design compartment. During the last Crystalline Catastrophe special event I flew my Nebula on my Engineer and I think missed 1st place all of about 2 times in the 2 weeks. That's 12/14 times taking first place in a ship you say sucks as is. Why did I take first place? Because I didn't try to fly it as a cruiser, I didn't run full weapons power on it, in fact quite the opposite. I won because I flew it as a science ship with some staying power. It, despite your claims, in fact has much more hull than your standard science vessel. Running a Torpedo build with max Aux power makes it one hell of a tank with that high shield modifier as well as being able to pack Polarize Hull, Transfer Shield Strength, Hazard Emitters, and Aux to Structural 2. Throw in a Gravity Well 3, and a couple Tractor Repulsors and it's a CE busting machine. Oh did I forget to mention it has the capability of running 2 tac teams AND 2 Torpedo HY or Spreads?

P.S. The build I'm talking about also works fairly well in STFs as I was able to take out cubes in a fairly low amount of time.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,394
# 12
03-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by comtedeloach2 View Post
The ship its kitbashed from is a dog and you want to know why it is a dog too? really?
Aw man, really? This thread I don't think needs more Galaxy discussion. Aren't there enough threads to discuss the Galaxy?

/sigh
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,394
# 13
03-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadz3 View Post
How about all of you complaining about the Nebula just learn how to build ships better? You're obviously lacking in the loadout design compartment. During the last Crystalline Catastrophe special event I flew my Nebula on my Engineer and I think missed 1st place all of about 2 times in the 2 weeks.
I've gotten first place in CE in the Galaxy, the Star Cruiser, the Reagent, the Nebula, the Vesta, and a Charal.

I'm not sure that's indicative of anything other than the CE is one of their better designed encounters because it's got more to it than just straight damage.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 134
# 14
03-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
You might be happier with the Odyssey Science Cruiser, an 8-gun cruiser with sensor analysis and scienc-y bridge layout. Nebbie is the step down from that. Unfrotunately science ships are weak-by-design on firepower and hit-points, so its a really big step down. The could buff the hull and cut the turn-rate a little bit, but they won't do it, since they don't change ships people have already bought. Odyssey or deal with it.

Except no, the whole point is to bring a sub par ship (the Nebula VA) back to match the rest of the ships. They want to try and claim it's a hybrid science/cruiser vessel? Then its time to finish making it so and bring it back to spec.

A science vessel that can do cruiser-ey things almost on par with cruisers. Which means giving it another weapon to balance it between cruisers and science vessels.

This is a ship that cryptic will make tons of money off of a trivial change (that they have done before) that will massively correct the dynamics of a vessel, because almost nobody flies them anymore. Other than my own, I have seen three nebulas TOTAL in the past year. And they're not that bad boff-wise. It is the weapons and the weapons alone that make it worthless. It could be much better, and it can be done WITHOUT breaking whatever scant handful of nebulas remaining in-game.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,493
# 15
03-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptrichardson12 View Post
Except no, the whole point is to bring a sub par ship (the Nebula VA) back to match the rest of the ships.

..
So what makes it "sub par?" not enough DPS? I don't quite understand your "beef." It's a science ship.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 863
# 16
03-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Aren't there enough threads to discuss the Galaxy?
no

sorry


http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...28931&page=271
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 252
# 17
03-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I've had a blast so far with my Fleet Nebula Retrofit as my main ship....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...9-23-24-20.jpg

Currently equipped with the M.A.C.O. space set, and an assortment of universal consoles I've earned, along with several Voth AntiProton Beams, the Borg Cutting Beam, a Rapid Reload Transphasic Torp Launcher up front, and the Breen Transphasic Cluster Launcher in back, I've dealt with it's sub-par turn rate with some RCS Eng. Consoles, and the BoFFs are set-up to turn the ship into a defensive support tank with some crowd control abilities, as well....

Gets the job done pretty well in stfs and occasionally places in CE and CE-Elite, if I get busy healing/repairing other ships!
Boot to the Head!

...and one for Jenny and the wimp....
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 530
# 18
03-11-2014, 12:45 PM
The answer is literally sitting right on top of the ship. Make the mission pod configurable, like it supposedly is in canon. Give us tactical (the current triangular pod), science (the "AWACS" pod) and engineering (new design) pods that can be switched out to give the ship different capabilities. This idea has been brought up numerous times and I really wish the devs would consider it.

Last edited by variant37; 03-11-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 134
# 19
03-11-2014, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmy1081 View Post
So what makes it "sub par?" not enough DPS? I don't quite understand your "beef." It's a science ship.
Except, no it isn't. By the devs own words, it was meant to be a Science/Cruiser HYBRID. Both, not 'neither' as it is now.

It doesn't have enough science boff slots to properly high-level science shenanigans. It has a Science Cmdr. and an engineering lt. Cmdr. Slot.

It can't cruiser FAW shenanigans because it doesn't have enough weapons to do it.

About the only thing it CAN do well is survive. It probably has the best tank in the game right now thanks to the team changes.

But WAIT! That's not a viable strategy in the game thanks to cryptic.

I'm not asking for a ship that can outshoot a Vesta. I'm not asking for a ship that can out-SCIENCE an Intrepid. I'm not asking for a ship that can out-tank a galaxy (though I got it anyway). I want a ship that is the support cruiser of science vessels. Competent, but not master of all things that can do just about anything well enough without completely changing your build to do something different. A ship that can work in endgame content like STF's and other queue events without being a drag on the team.

I'm not asking for console or boff changes, just an extra weapon to finish making it a hybrid. Is it REALLY that much to ask?
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,493
# 20
03-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptrichardson12 View Post
Except, no it isn't. By the devs own words, it was meant to be a Science/Cruiser HYBRID. Both, not 'neither' as it is now.

It doesn't have enough science boff slots to properly high-level science shenanigans. It has a Science Cmdr. and an engineering lt. Cmdr. Slot.

It can't cruiser FAW shenanigans because it doesn't have enough weapons to do it.

About the only thing it CAN do well is survive. It probably has the best tank in the game right now thanks to the team changes.

But WAIT! That's not a viable strategy in the game thanks to cryptic.

I'm not asking for a ship that can outshoot a Vesta. I'm not asking for a ship that can out-SCIENCE an Intrepid. I'm not asking for a ship that can out-tank a galaxy (though I got it anyway). I want a ship that is the support cruiser of science vessels. Competent, but not master of all things that can do just about anything well enough without completely changing your build to do something different. A ship that can work in endgame content like STF's and other queue events without being a drag on the team.

I'm not asking for console or boff changes, just an extra weapon to finish making it a hybrid. Is it REALLY that much to ask?
I cant agree with you. The Olympic, D'kyr, Nebula, and Vo'quv all have that lt com engineering station and they're all good ships...well the D'kyr needs a fleet ship but that's for another thread.

As for the engineering station, it can fit EPtA3, EPtS3, EPtE3, EWP1....there's lots of ways to use that station and each choice fundamentally changes how the ship will play. It also has a universal station that is really helpful. The only other ship to do that is the Vesta, but that gives it way too many eng stations.

When I use my Fleet nebula i'm not a drag on my team. I'm using a kinetic/exotic damage build with GW, Grav torpedoes, Warp Plasma, and doffed TBR. It does great damage through shields.

In PvE the Nebula is good enough for all content, for PvP it's one of the best science ships in the game.

Of all the ships in the game, the nebula isn't in need of a "Beef" thread.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 AM.