Lt. Commander
# 1 The future of STO PvP...
02-05-2010, 04:15 PM
It should be pretty obvious at this point that we aren't going to get any sort of meaningful PvP content. Territories will not be taken or lost, fleets will not gain or lose resources, there will be no war. The reason for this is simple: STO sector, space, and planet maps exist based on instancing. You can not change the layout of the game universe through PvP with an instanced system.

Cryptic is also very much against any sort of loss from either PvP or PvE deaths. There MIGHT be a soft penalty eventually, but Cryptic has not weighed in on this topic. These would include things such as needing repairs or replacement crew, but I would guarantee there will be NO loss of inventory, characters, ships, or BOffs.

What this leaves the future of PvP in STO is a system that is strikingly similar to WoW. Essentially we will have scenarios like we have now, but more sophisticated. The current maps are very basic, and I do not expect them to be able to hold people's attention for more than a month or so at the maximum. They are all arena team based in which you rack up points purely from kills (with the exception of one or two maps) towards eventual team victory.

So, what are your ideas for more involved PvP maps?

I don't PvP much (or at all, really ), but I'm sure the real PvPers have some idea as to the kind of maps they would like to see.

Please, post details on the maps you would like to see, in terms of layout, theme, objectives, content, etc...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Didn't you watch Galaxy quest?

Main characters never die... it's the poor unknown ensigns that gets killed off.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 04:31 PM
these que based maps with no real point other than leveling wont hold peoples attantiont here needs to be so tangable objective line on a map or rare rewards somthing to keep people intrested otherwise after poeple get to the lvl cap all but the most hardcore will leave even if they get more involved maps that alone wont fix the issue
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Let's see Head start began a week ago . The game actually released on Tuesday and you know all this how ? can you give me the winning lottery numbers for Saturday nights draw ?

You really should quit now if you truely believe this. Since the gamie is brand spanking new I'm willing to give it time for 2 reasons . 1 ) i've nothing else to do , that remotely interestss me gaming wise. 2 ) It's been mentioned previously . It's brand spanking new.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I hope they will add several large zones that are not instanced, with capturable objectives and open pvp. Though i don't expect this at LEAST a month or two.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
Let's see Head start began a week ago . The game actually released on Tuesday and you know all this how ? can you give me the winning lottery numbers for Saturday nights draw ?

You really should quit now if you truely believe this. Since the gamie is brand spanking new I'm willing to give it time for 2 reasons . 1 ) i've nothing else to do , that remotely interestss me gaming wise. 2 ) It's been mentioned previously . It's brand spanking new.
I'm gonna save this so I can bring it back up in a year or so.

Anyways, I'm trying to get constructive feedback from the PvP players on what kinds of scenario content should be developed in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuk View Post

You really should quit now if you truely believe this. Since the game is brand spanking new I'm willing to give it time for 2 reasons . 1 ) i've nothing else to do , that remotely interests me gaming wise. 2 ) It's been mentioned previously . It's brand spanking new.
Uh what in cryptic other games or past, present games leads you to not agree with what the OP says?!? I'd love a poll on this subject. Heck I'd love a news release like the one for 45 days out on what they plan to do for PvP. If you think for one minute that Cryptic doesnt have detailed plans for atleast 6 months for STO you are kidding yourself. IT A COMPANY! IT HAS A MODEL FOR STO BEFORE AND EVERY MONTH SINCE RELEASE SO THE PEOPLE WITH CASH INVOLDED DONT LOSE THEIR MONEY ( or atleast they think they won't)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Things i would like to see in pvp
A: Open pvp
B: Fleet owned and positioned bases, that can be attacked
C: Sectors of space that are conquerable.

Will it happen? who knows. Theres things that have to be dealt with long before we ever get around to that point, like actual content for lvling.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcane View Post
I hope they will add several large zones that are not instanced, with capturable objectives and open pvp. Though i don't expect this at LEAST a month or two.
don't they already have this?!?!?! but it's very very very very very broken at the moment?

The first one we go into is at LT level (tier 1) where we have to get the borg data... and we have to fight klingons and it's an open map.... for both sides.... just that it's bugged sooo badly at the moment that klingons are spawning on fed side and vice versa and some klingons show as enemy but others are friendly.... some feds as enemies some as friends... and the objectives stalls if the other side has 1 of the 8 objectives and the other side has 7 of the 8 (cause there is only 8 on the map and new ones NEVER respawn)?
Lt. Commander
# 10 Hmm
02-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I have always said in order for STO to survive long term and realy stick with its players some actual "hardcore" mmo game mechanics must be put in place i.e.

1. loss of xp(small amount) or some type of death penalty that is not overly harsh. but something taht creates a since of risk/reward.......not the zergfest we have now in pve and pvp.....

2. crafting that is crafting: lets face for an mmo to succeed crafting has to be there...not some crap you pick up in space and turn in for junk.....

3. sorry but xp needs to be turned down, we shouldnt be 4 days from this game being LIVE for a week and already most of the population is high LC"s to mid to upper Commanders in my opininon....and with many already at captain and admiral level....not enough time to ge attached to your ships before its time ot "upgrade" again...

4. need in STO"s case a 2nd facton fully fleshed out like FEds and a 3rd faction that is a skeleton like Klingons are now....

5. More meaningful pvp, not just talking about quick blastfests that are wanna be fps shooter type matches....

6.....bah that is enough for now, that IMHO STO needs now, like in the next 3 months to stay viable as an mmo and not dwindle down to a junk mmo that only the hardcore trekkies are supporting.....