Cryptic Studios Team
# 1 STO Environment lead for you
03-11-2014, 02:37 PM
I wanted to stop by in the art forum and say hello!

As the title says I'm the lead environment artist on star trek. I am here to help with environment related issues. If you have any, comments, concerns, issues, or things that need to be fixed that are related to environments please include screenshots with descriptions.

I will try to tackle what I can and divvy it out to my team.

Swallrus
Swallrus - building better worlds - Env Lead
Captain
# 2
03-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Let Taco get his saucy paws on Spacedock and DS9. They need some of his spicy lovin'.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
03-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Greetings and welcome.

My only comment would be to keep a thought for the Foundry. It's been quite some time since we've seen any new maps or environmental assets added. Things we can use to build interiors such as walls, doors, connectors and such would be very much appreciated.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 4
03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Let Taco get his saucy paws on Spacedock and DS9. They need some of his spicy lovin'.
I second this .

And new bridges.

Sorry if this sounds a bit repetitive, but we all like bridges .

Infuse some of that Dyson and Origen magic into the rest .

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Captain
# 5
03-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Any chance of random easter eggs to be generated on random planets?
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
03-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Would it be possible to get a 'blank' map created for the foundry? By blank I basically mean a featureless box that we could use for the creation of custom interiors on. perhaps one capable of displaying a starscape in the backdrop layer or planetary atmosphere. I will not pretend to know off hand how complex this is, but as far as baked in terrain all that would be requested would be a solid floor that is flat.

Over on your hey all thread I mentioned a foundry map that needed looking at for pathing. That map is the Argelius II map, and it needs a pathing check, but there is also an issue with it as well.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=237419763
this picture is from the map editor, note the character when it spawn is pointing 'south' towards where the ramp downwards is

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=237419988
This is what the actual view is. Those doors block ingress to the rest of the map. Now you can set a spawn point elsewhere on the map to use either one part or the other, but if you wanted the whole map, you are out of luck.

are lighting objects your provenance? if yes then there might be questions/requests later but
Rihannsu
# 7
03-11-2014, 03:11 PM
I've felt for quite some time that the Romulan shipyard really doesn't live up to its analogs in the other two factions.

We really need someplace space-based that would show up Romulan ships in all their sweeping grandeur similar to the ESD or Qo'nos shipyards. Good inspiration that could be taken from is the character creation environment for Romulans, and the large viewports of the Flotilla interior map (which us able to see ships outside).
Mhae ir-Virinat t'Rillas, R.R.W Temer
Captain
# 8
03-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Repost: Welcome. These are some long-standing requests from foundry authors:

1. A big empty map (just black space) that we could use to make custom interiors and sets, instead of building in the sky of a ground map. Or some of us have built in the black space of an interior only to see the maps destroyed when an artist edits the map down.

2. Someone, anyone, to apply a few seamless textures to flat primitives so that we'd have better floors and ceilings. Here is the long-standing request.

3. A map of shallow water (that we'd build on top of.

New:

There was also a list of our top ten asset requests that we made after lots of Foundry authors voted on it. I believe Taco has that list. It mostly includes a lot of simple things.
Career Officer
# 9
03-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post

My only comment would be to keep a thought for the Foundry. It's been quite some time since we've seen any new maps or environmental assets added. Things we can use to build interiors such as walls, doors, connectors and such would be very much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post

1. A big empty map (just black space) that we could use to make custom interiors and sets, instead of building in the sky of a ground map. Or some of us have built in the black space of an interior only to see the maps destroyed when an artist edits the map down.
Really anything that allows us to better create better environments within the Foundry; which includes but not limited to Control of lighting on any/all maps, and/or the ability to put in hazard zones that can effect player. (EX: have a map wide effect that makes it like space so player will need space suite to survive). I am not sure if this counts as an "STO Environment" but it kinda of does seem like an "Environment effect" of sorts.

@Rellimtime82 - Foundry Author
Commander
# 10
03-11-2014, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't mind a few more starship interiors, and interior pieces (most notably faction-specific tech gubbins such as warp cores), for the Foundry, as well as the ability to add a Red Alert effect to starship interiors.

More generally, I have a question: why are maps, especially starship interior maps, scaled so as to be the right size for taller characters but too big for normal-sized ones? I get the whole "accommodating everyone" thing, but really, it's the wrong way round. Really tall characters should look too big for a chair, because the in-universe guy who designed that chair would design it to fit the most common size.
I am NikkoJT, Foundry author and terrible player. Follow me!