Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 11
03-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaris View Post
I much prefer the Sov. as a tank... simply because of size and maneuverability. The Oddy is a whale, and moves like one. Getting it pointed where it needs to be, even with EPtE or Evasive takes a considerable amount of time. The Sov is much more nimble, offers similar hull and shields and a superior BoFF layout.
Disagree. I use both cruisers for tanking and DPSing, and I am sorry to say that I find the Odyssey superior for damage dealing (due to it's ability to run LtCmdr Tac AND Lt Tac, whereas Sovvy (I'm assuming refit/fleet refit) only has a LtCmdr Tac and Ens Tac).

As tanking goes, they're almost identical, since if you have two DCEs, you can cycle EPtX with ease, and still have those other two slots to do whatever you want with.

And as for mobility? EM3. And Helmsman trait. Suddenly mobility is no longer an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
The Fleet Sovereign can perform admirably as a tank... if not better than the Odyssey, since in addition to being able to survive almost anything that Elite PvE has to throw at you, it can also run an Aux2Batt/FAW build to melt everything before any reduction in tank potential becomes an issue. It can also run as a durable attack/support cruiser in PvP.
Again, in support of the Odyssey, it can run a BFAW/APB build that does NOT require it to use an Aux2bat build, and thus gives it access to high level of DPS in addition to still having aux heals for itself and it's team, therefore making it more useful in both the healing and surviving department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaris View Post
Sure, sure... not denying the Oddy's ability to soak up the hits, my major gripe with it is in its ability to move about the battlefield.

In KA you can pick a side, park up and hammer probes... but every other mission involves a degree of mobility. Doing something like Breach, Nebula Rescue or Storming the Spire in an Oddy? Forget about it... the fight will be over by the time the U.S.S. Blue Whale gets into firing position.

Your only hope to pick up some turn rate is to blow the saucer off, which eats up a console slot for a pet that is only semi-useful.

Plus, with the Oddy just having a Tac LT you've got to tie up both slots with tac team, or run TT cooldown officers, limiting your DPS output.

The Sov can tank equally well for any mission, *plus* has the mobility to get around the field and respond to changing situations.

Also, if you are after a cruiser with a LC Sci slot, get the Fleet Support Cruiser (Ambassador) instead.
Pretty much the same thing I said above. Mobility is not a problem in a properly built cruiser of any class. I am not saying the Sovvy is inferior or the Oddy is superior (stats don't lie, the Sovvy WILL move around better), but I am instead saying the difference is small enough that it really doesn't matter.

I use my Odyssey without shame in high mobility content (like CSE, FA, Azure) simply because I know how to get the thing moving and can get it where it needs to be WHEN it needs to be. It may be a space whale, but she can move when she needs to. It's all about knowing when to hit the EM or when to use EPtE (I don't even use EPtE and I can still get around).

To OP:

If you want a tank, run a Gal-R or a Gal-X. However, comparing the Odyssey to the Sovereign is a null point. They are more or less identical in their tanking ability, with a few minor differences, but those differences aren't game changing. You can tank very well with both ships. I do it all the time.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 789
# 12
03-12-2014, 12:55 PM
In my opinion, the one that feels more comfortable to you will always be the better tank. Consoles and BO stations are only part of the equation. If you can't get your fingers to the right keys fast, then no amount of tanking potential is going to help you. If you want to take the time to get used to a different layout, then by all means, go for it. Tanks dont generally need to be able to turn very fast. Of course, with some of the new fleet consoles, turn rate isn't much of an issue for any ship now. And if you do decide to go with it, the odyssey does have a saucer seper that will increase turn rate at very little cost to you, and having 2 odyssey consoles will increase your tanking ability even further, plus allow for additional damage if you use them.
Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 299
# 13
03-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaeko View Post
Anyone complaining about a cruiser's ability to maneuver around the battlefield is not enough acquainted with the Auxiliary to Inertial Dampeners Eng Boff power.
Yes, I know of Aux2ID. However, as you pointed out, it interferes with other Aux2X powers... in this particular case Aux2SIF, which is providing constant hull healing and energy damage resistance. As nice as the maneuvering buff is from Aux2ID with as much shield-penetrating damage as is present in the modern environment Aux2SIF is pretty much a necessity.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 14
03-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyudt View Post
...and having 2 odyssey consoles will increase your tanking ability even further, ...
No. Just... no. I have gone in game and tested the two piece bonus. +12 to a tanking skill increases it's actual effect by only 3%. And in the case of the bonuses it gives, courtesy of insanely diminishing returns on resistances, the +12 actually adds NOTHING to your resistances.

Check in game. You'll get the +1 turn (woo-hoo -.-), and you will supposedly get a small 3% bonus to your hull resists, but if you look at your actual in game stats, you won't see any increase. So oddy 2 console not worth it. You're better off just not running any of it's special consoles, since they comparatively SUCK when put next to other unis.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 45
# 15
03-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Awesome, thanks guys, I didn't expect this level of response. ^.^

Hopefully this will be of use to other people so continue on & yay. I might try the two out & see if one seems better than the other in the way I play now I know what points I'm looking at that differs the two. Though the Odyssey seems to be getting all the votes.

<3
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,263
# 16
03-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaris View Post
In KA you can pick a side, park up and hammer probes...
Ah, I see, you're referring to PvE content. In that case, any old bucket can tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeday
Awesome, thanks guys, I didn't expect this level of response. ^.^

Hopefully this will be of use to other people so continue on & yay. I might try the two out & see if one seems better than the other in the way I play now I know what points I'm looking at that differs the two. Though the Odyssey seems to be getting all the votes.

<3
The best way to learn is by trying it out for yourself, and gaining experience. Best of luck!

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 552
# 17
03-12-2014, 10:17 PM
While I love the sovereign class ship, I would prefer the Oddy. Now with load outs you can go from tank to DPS in a click of a button. The Oddy is superior in this way because you can switch consoles, boffs, and doffs with a click of a button. Yes I know you can do the same with the sovereign but you can't change from a lt commander eng or science to a tac in it. With the load outs the Oddy is by far more superior ship. While it might not be pretty or as fun to fly and I prefer the sovereign over the Oddy i have to use reason.
Star Trek Online, where the developers think it is alright to play a game with a FPS rate of 10 or worse. Blame it on the players system that ran just fine before Season Nine.
Ryche of Hammer Squadron
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,158
# 18
03-13-2014, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaris View Post
Your only hope to pick up some turn rate is to blow the saucer off, which eats up a console slot for a pet that is only semi-useful.
Forget the pet, the point isn't to get a pet to aid you in combat, the point is to get rid of the saucer's weight. Once you blow the saucer off, you'll turn as well as any Sovvy will, for the cost of only a single console slot, whereas to get that kind of turn rate, a Sov would have to fill itself with Fleet RCSen.

But as for "what ship can tank better", it depends on what you want out of a tank. The Regent has a far superior capability for inflicting damage, which in turn translates to greater aggro pull and less need to tank in the first place. The Oddy, however, can soak up damage a bit more effectively. Since there are not any missions which involve simply passively enduring increasingly large amounts of damage, the edge goes to the Regent here.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,155
# 19
03-13-2014, 05:09 AM
I say Sovereign because I can tank anything in elite from 100 to 0 with it (can't eat the Scimitar blast in Khit, but no ship not even tanks are supposed to take that on the chin and survive) without giving up much of any offense. Even as a dps ship there isn't anything hard enough you can't handle with good gear.

Now, if the content were hard, I mean "push you to your limits" hard, it would be different. The Odyssey has two universals that matter, verses the Sovy's one that doesn't. (Two tac, two engies, one universal? Seriously cryptic? Might better have called it "Put your hazard emits fellow here" you dingleberries) The Ody also has more engineering consoles which could be useful for stacking all the hull armor you won't need for PvE. So if the content was so balls to the wall hard you NEEDED a tank, the Ody out tanks the Sov. (and meets or beats the Galaxy in every way, justify that apologists) But because the content is easy, the Sov fits the bill and gives you top tier dps for no additional charge.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94154940000&dateline=  1390007378
Quote:
"The Galaxy Explorer would be fine if only it could execute it's saucer separation while moving."
-Nobody
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 513
# 20
03-13-2014, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdata96 View Post
... should go and get an escort
Or fly an Excelsior!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.