Captain
# 1 Protonic Polaron - Worth It?
04-06-2014, 11:35 PM
So I have a Dyson science vessel (doesn't everyone?) with all the consoles, etc etc. Grav torpedo, experimental proton weapon. Right now, the other weapon slots have phaser beam arrays in. But I find myself wondering if it's worth going full proton, buying PP weapons from the rep store, to chase the set bonuses to proton damage etc. Thoughts?
Republic Veteran
# 2
04-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Like any other weapon in STO, the answer is ... Maybe ...

They do the same damage as any other weapon, so you have to decide which Proc you want i.e Single Target High Damage for mainly PvP or Multi Target and/or Debuff for Team or PvE.

If the former, go AP, if the latter go Rom Plasma or Fleet Disruptor.

Protonic Polaron has a good Proc for Debuffing and also damaging targets with pure kinetic damage (if it procs), particularly on a Rom Toon with bucket loads of CritH. The Jem-H 2 pce Space Set has a good Polaron Damage Boost, and if you add Spire Damage Consoles with the +Plasma proc, you can have 3 procs on one weapon, with 2 of them doing damage regardless of shields.

So again the answer is ... Maybe yes, maybe no ...
Please ... Make it so ...!
Captain
# 3
04-07-2014, 01:15 AM
My opinion is - no it's not worth it for PvE.

I built out a Falchion Scimidar using phased polaron arrays as the primary weapon. Once my Dyson rep was complete I had almost a complete set of Protonic Polarons. I had heard good things from people I now consider to be unreliable, so I replaced the phased with a set of Protonics and ran a few tests.

Note I am NOT a high DPS is everything type of player.

Phased polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + spire tac consoles, I averaged 16-18K on ISE.

Protonic polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + spire tac consoles, I averaged 14-16K on ISE.
- interesting results, damage and crits happening to hull before shields dropped.

Protonic polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + protonic tac consoles, I averaged 9-10K on ISE.
- felt like someone had taken away half my firepower.

Huge waste of resources - or I suck as to how to use them effectively. Reminded me of the time I wasted resources buying fleet advanced tetryons.... *rolls eyes* NEVER AGAIN.
Captain
# 4
04-07-2014, 01:40 AM
Well. That's rather discouraging.
Thanks for the advice.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
04-07-2014, 01:44 AM
Cant say I was ever impressed by them.

I mean if you had a high crit build then maybe.

But at that point you would probably still do more damage with any other weapon.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Republic Veteran
# 6
04-07-2014, 02:21 AM
I have to ask, what tac consoles are there that add juice to these protonic weapons? I know from the boxes the dyson rep gives out that those engineering/science consoles have protonic attributes, but are there any tac consoles for them?

Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
Member since early 2011
Member of Lag Industries ~ http://lagfleet.enjin.com/
Captain
# 7
04-07-2014, 02:39 AM
Polaron tac consoles will boost them. Though you can also get that type from Dyson rep with the extra accuracy and proton damage boost.
Captain
# 8
04-07-2014, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
Phased polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + spire tac consoles, I averaged 16-18K on ISE.

Protonic polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + spire tac consoles, I averaged 14-16K on ISE.
- interesting results, damage and crits happening to hull before shields dropped.
This result is very interesting. Since both Phased and Protonic are 2-mod weapons, assuming no change in mods, the Protonic should always outperform Phased simply because the Protonic proc causes damage, the Phased proc does not.

How do you explain this clear discrepancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
Protonic polaron arrays + rom plasma torp + protonic tac consoles, I averaged 9-10K on ISE.
- felt like someone had taken away half my firepower.
This result is completely unsurprising, since the Protonic consoles are both inferior in quantity of boost and provide no CrtH/D. The minor improvement to an infrequent proc cannot possibly make up for the loss of that proc happening in the first place, since you lose the CrtH that made the proc even occur!

Last edited by doffingcomrade; 04-07-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-07-2014, 06:24 AM
Quote:
This result is very interesting. Since both Phased and Protonic are 2-mod weapons, assuming no change in mods, the Protonic should always outperform Phased simply because the Protonic proc causes damage, the Phased proc does not.

How do you explain this clear discrepancy?
IMO it is quite simple:
DPS is not ultimate way of measuring damage capabilities of ship.

Why? Because damage ignoring hull is allowing you to kill ship faster, then damage not ignoring hull.

First example: Let say under normal conditions you need 10 seconds to kill a ship with 50000 hull and 50000 shields - therefore your DPS is 10000.

Second example: Let say your damage is ignoring shields - You will kill this ship in 5 seconds... but your DPS is still the same - it is 10000 . So Your combat effectiveness was doubled without increasing DPS

Third example: You are doing 7500DPS ignoring shield - You will kill enemy ship in less then 7 seconds - but you have DPS 25% lower then ship from first example. At the same time you are actually 50% more effective in killing ships...

Conclusion:
DPS is invalid parameter to estimate effectiveness of weapons able to ignore shields. These weapons are SIGNIFICANTLY more effective then you expect from regular DPS calculation.

Last edited by deathray38; 04-07-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Captain
# 10
04-07-2014, 06:29 AM
Do the rep daily (even if at T5) for the boxes. After a few weeks you will HAVE a FULL set of weapons and can give it a cheap test run. Likely you already banked at least 3 of the things..?