Lt. Commander
Certain boffs have the efficient trait. This is listed under their space abilities when you mouse over them. So far, the only boffs that I have found with this ability are uncommon saurian bridge officers (the ones of green rarity). The borg boff is supposed to have this ability, but so far from my testing, she does not.

The efficient trait gives you +5 to each of the 4 commander level efficiency skills.

So what does it do? At first, nothing. Once you reach commander, you have a set of skills Starship Engine Efficiency, Shild, Weapons, ect. Once you have at least 1 point in these, the efficiency trait begins to kick in (so if you have a point in shield efficiency, the efficiency trait only kicks in for shields. If you have a point in each of them, you get +5 to all 4 skills).

The most direct thing it does is provide a small bonus to your power levels. For example, with no boffs equipped my power levels at 50 are 57/61/57/58. When I have 3 efficient boffs equipped, my power levels are 59/62/59/60, for a total of +7 energy. Now that does sound like much, but the strength in efficiency is that the lower your power levels, the more it boosts them. When I am at 100 weapons, 50 shield, 25 engines, 25 aux, my power levels with no boffs are 103/61/37/39. Throw in 4 efficient boffs and my power becomes 103/62/40/43, for a total of +9.

In addition to the +9 energy, they also help your skills. For example, comparing no efficient boffs to 4 efficient boffs my EPS Power transfer lasts an additional 3 seconds and my emergency power to shields boosts my power setting for an extra +2. Lots of skills benefit from efficient boffs such as the emergency power skills, aceton field, extend shields, ect.

So whats the easiest way to find these wonderful boffs? Go to the exchange, set your rarity to "uncommon" and type in saurian. Look for boffs that specifically list the efficient trait under their space abilities. There may be boffs besides saurians and borg that have this trait, but so far I haven't found any.

Now I know the bonuses from these boffs don't sound like a huge amount, but to maximize your character its best to get them now so you aren't wasting your starfleet merit and bridge officer points on boffs that you'll throw away later.

edit: they tend to be the boffs at the bottem of the list . . .
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 10:19 PM
shameless bump
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 10:21 PM
what is wierd, Saurians can't be effecient during player character creation.

is this the only space trait that exists for BOffs? I know humans can have leadership, but it seams to be a ground trait.

Is there a basic or an advanced version?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hQuu
what is wierd, Saurians can't be effecient during player character creation.

is this the only space trait that exists for BOffs? I know humans can have leadership, but it seams to be a ground trait.
So far those are the only 2 space looking traits I have seen on boffs, and I have looked at every boff on the exchange multiple times. Of course, if such traits existed whoever received them would probably want to keep the boff for themselves. But by the time you would have found such a boff, you'd probably be captain at least, and have a lot of points invested in your current boffs.

Quote:
Is there a basic or an advanced version?
Again, not that I have seen. Seems like the best solution at the moment is to just grab these boffs early off of the exchange so they can level up with you.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2010, 04:54 PM
hiya Bobkyou. Do you know if "Efficient" from Playable Borg and the Borg BO stack? Or do you only receive one "efficient buff" ?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
hiya Bobkyou. Do you know if "Efficient" from Playable Borg and the Borg BO stack? Or do you only receive one "efficient buff" ?
I have a Borg BOff... it does not have the efficient trait
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
I have a Borg BOff... it does not have the efficient trait
That's been spoken on by devs.. a fix is in the works. Something about how they actually are giving "efficient" but it doesn't notify you that they are.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
Well, I can tell you that I have the efficient trait on my captain, and that my efficient boffs boost my settings. However as has been pointed out, the efficient trait on the borg boff does not seem to be working at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Got the following info on IRC...

<Quutar> is the fact that Saurian Bridge officers getting a space trait a bug or intended
<Cryptic_Falkoren> keep in mind that BOffs will have traits associated with them
<Cryptic_Falkoren> Ah, i see what you are referring to, The uncommon and rare BOffs by design come with traits its one of the benefits of them
<Quutar> if it is intended, and no other race will get space traits, then i forsee all serious pvpers going with those bridge officers
<Quutar> yup
<Cryptic_Falkoren> the saurian are not the only boff which gain a trait
<Quutar> it is... just that one specifically
<Cryptic_Falkoren> you should see others who have space and ground traits
<Quutar> nope... but they are... so far, the only one i have found with space traits
<Quutar> i have not seen any yet
<Cryptic_Falkoren> keep an eye out. Let me know if you are seeing other Rares with no space traits
<Quutar> but... if that is intended... then that answers my question ^_^ it means it is not a bug, and I should account for it in my code
<Cryptic_Falkoren> yes
<Quutar> i am seeing LOTS of rares with no space traits
<Quutar> i am seeing humans with a space trait listed as a ground trait
<Cryptic_Falkoren> then that is a problem with the traits not being listed properly not that they arent getting them
<Cryptic_Falkoren> specifically the UI - Tooltips
<Quutar> i went through the exchange (I know, limited data set, but that is all i have) and could not find any other space trait except humans mis labeled, and saurians with effeciency
<Cryptic_Falkoren> they won't always have them and i beleive many of those are the standard rewards for leveling
<Cryptic_Falkoren> there are many more bofss
<Quutar> i know... that is a limitation of a limited data set
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Great post! Would it be possible for one of these rare Boffs to train one of your existing Boffs in "efficiency?" That way you wouldn't have to throw away your current Boffs - (I know, for most people it's not a big deal to do so - but to me, they're my Boffs!). If so, I guess you'd have to wait until you promote them to a certain level to be able to use the "efficiency" trait, right? Like commander or so?

Also, do you buy Boffs with energy credits or those "reputation points?"

Thanks!