Lt. Commander
# 1 Optimizing Skills Question
02-05-2010, 04:30 PM

Quick review:
===========
The Obvious is I am a bit new to STO. I have made a few different characters to try and kinda play with concepts of what I would like my character to be or do.

To be honest I am a bit lost. I have played many MMOs but I just cant seem the grasp this nearly as quickly as the others. The character format seems to be broken down a lot more then I expected.

So far:
======
Ok so right now I have a tactician (or Combat oriented character), my rank is Lt4.

The Issue:
========
It might be obvious but how many total points do I have to spend on my characters skills? If I make a mistake on a skill can it be undone even if confirmed? Does the character tree go into specializations or at least drop down to specialized tiers I should be aware of? And lastly though this question has little to do with my character tree what is the quickest or most efficient way to gain currency?

Anything would help and I am open to comparisons or even theories. I appreciate any and all replies.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 04:34 PM
There is no skill tree. As long as you got high enough rank and enough points you can put them wherever you like.
I seriously doubt you can nerf your char in this game. They will add respec later. I have no idea how many points you get but you need to use up all your points before you can get to the next rank.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifax

Quick review:
===========
The Obvious is I am a bit new to STO. I have made a few different characters to try and kinda play with concepts of what I would like my character to be or do.

To be honest I am a bit lost. I have played many MMOs but I just cant seem the grasp this nearly as quickly as the others. The character format seems to be broken down a lot more then I expected.

So far:
======
Ok so right now I have a tactician (or Combat oriented character), my rank is Lt4.

The Issue:
========
It might be obvious but how many total points do I have to spend on my characters skills? If I make a mistake on a skill can it be undone even if confirmed? Does the character tree go into specializations or at least drop down to specialized tiers I should be aware of? And lastly though this question has little to do with my character tree what is the quickest or most efficient way to gain currency?

Anything would help and I am open to comparisons or even theories. I appreciate any and all replies.
You might find the Character Basics guide linked to in my sig helpful, in terms of giving an overview of the character progression and skills systems, among other things.

Hope it's useful.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadB
You might find the Character Basics guide linked to in my sig helpful, in terms of giving an overview of the character progression and skills systems, among other things.

Hope it's useful.
Thanks a lot I actually did find it helpful... a lot more then this site or this games instruction manual.