Lt. Commander
# 1 How to: make a Romulan character.
02-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Check my signature for more How To guides.

Spock's plan made sense. Create red matter and use it to capture the super nova. But something went wrong, and now your people have been left with billions of casualties and no home. But you know better, the Federation could not have been capable of such a thing. Despite past differences with the Vulcans, they would not outright commit genocide.

So here you are in Starfleet. Perhaps you're a Federation/Romulan Star Empire Alliance sympathizer. Perhaps you were in the right place at the right time, and now you're one of the Empire's most fortuitous spies. The choice is yours, Romulan.

Romulan M/F

Head:

Category - Humanoid.

Head Type
- Humanoid 1.

Skin Type - Access your color palette. Move your cursor to the top right corner. From here move to-

Row 4, palette 12 counting from the left.
My personal favorite.
Row 3, palette 12 counting from the left. A little more green, perhaps too green.

While some argue that the Romulans do not have a green tint to their skin, I included it anyway. First of all, the accent is light enough to not be an eye sore. Second of all, I felt like I needed to do a little more to set them apart from their Vulcan counterparts. I think you'll agree, it looks pretty fantastic.

Overall Pattern - Solid Color.

Base Complexion
- Standard.

Forehead Detail - This part is very important. There are no V-shaped ridges in the premade forehead detail without a little tweaking. This took some figuring out.

Use the Xindi Primate forehead detail. Next, move the detail up to one bar. (1/5) As you can see, all but the V-shaped forehead ridges have faded out. I would suggest going a little under one bar to make the cheek features completely disappear. This is how I got my Romulan's V-shaped ridges.

A suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
The Romulan NPC enemies encountered in game have the short combed down/forward haircut. Some of them have Klingon ridges that have been reduced to slider bar 1.
Nose Detail - None.

Tattoo/Scars - There is one Romulan tattoo available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper11188
A note on the Nero tats...in normal Romulan society, one who is mourning will put on henna like marks to mark their grief for their period of mourning. Nero and his crew made their marks permanent to mark their grief for their race...so, just a point of reference for your backstories
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriFoxfirega
IA good guide for it is to have the Romulan Tattoo on light and then see what lines up with it naturally.
Eyes - Humanoid. I would stick to white corneas and standard human iris colors.

Ears - Pointed 1 or 2.

Hairstyle - Close 7 or bald seem the most suitable. Play with the others. If a Vulcan would do it, a Romulan probably would, too. Black is the most common hair color, though dark brown could work. Sela only had blonde hair because Tasha Yar was her mother. I don't recall seeing other blonde Romulans.

Short 9 for women seemed alright.

Shininess - I went with none, but it's preference.

Eyebrow - Pointed 1 or 2.

Mouth Accessory - Possible, but rare.

Eye Attach - Whatever you want.

Head Attach Organic - None.

Body:

Romulans, like Vulcans, have physical prowess.

Traits:

Acute Senses
Accurate
Aggressive
Soldier
Stubborn
Mental Discipline
Covert
Creative
Elusive
Physical Strength
Resilient
Stubborn

http://i50.tinypic.com/2hwpaas.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/1zbqiht.jpg

Compare.

http://static.open.salon.com/files/r...1232502010.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime
Spock's plan made sense. Create red matter and use it to capture the super nova. But something went wrong, and now your people have been left with billions of casualties and no home. But you know better, the Federation could not have been capable of such a thing. Despite past differences with the Vulcans, they would not outright commit genocide.

So here you are in Starfleet. Perhaps you're a Federation/Romulan Star Empire Alliance sympathizer. Perhaps you were in the right place at the right time, and now you're one of the Empire's most fortuitous spies. The choice is yours, Romulan.

Romulan M/F

Head:

Category - Humanoid.

Head Type
- Humanoid 1.

Skin Type - Access your color palette. Move your cursor to the top right corner. From here move to-

Row 4, palette 12 counting from the left.
My personal favorite.
Row 3, palette 12 counting from the left. A little more green, perhaps too green.

While some argue that the Romulans do not have a green tint to their skin, I included it anyway. First of all, the accent is light enough to not be an eye sore. Second of all, I felt like I needed to do a little more to set them apart from their Vulcan counterparts. I think you'll agree, it looks pretty fantastic.

Overall Pattern - Solid Color.

Base Complexion
- Standard.

Forehead Detail - This part is very important. There are no V-shaped ridges in the premade forehead detail without a little tweaking. This took some figuring out.

Use the Xindi Primate forehead detail. Next, move the detail up to one bar. (1/5) As you can see, all but the V-shaped forehead ridges have faded out. I would suggest going a little under one bar to make the cheek features completely disappear. This is how I got my Romulan's V-shaped ridges.

Nose Detail - None.

Tattoo/Scars - There is one Romulan tattoo available.

Eyes
- Humanoid. I would stick to white corneas and standard human iris colors.

Ears - Pointed 1 or 2.

Hairstyle - Close 7 or bald seem the most suitable. Play with the others. If a Vulcan would do it, a Romulan probably would, too. Black is the most common hair color, though dark brown could work. Sela only had blonde hair because Tasha Yar was her mother. I don't recall seeing other blonde Romulans.

Short 9 for women seemed alright.

Shininess - I went with none, but it's preference.

Eyebrow - Pointed 1 or 2.

Mouth Accessory - Possible, but rare.

Eye Attach - Whatever you want.

Head Attach Organic - None.

Body:

Romulans, like Vulcans, have physical prowess.

Traits:

Acute Senses
Accurate
Aggressive
Soldier
Stubborn
Mental Discipline
Covert
Creative
Elusive
Physical Strength
Resilient
Stubborn

http://i50.tinypic.com/2hwpaas.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/1zbqiht.jpg

Compare.

http://static.open.salon.com/files/r...1232502010.jpg
nicely done.. still looks too much like a vulcan bhut thats due to not being able to see the ridges properly ... but best ive seen so far.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
nicely done.. still looks too much like a vulcan bhut thats due to not being able to see the ridges properly ... but best ive seen so far.
If I make the forehead detail any more profound, the Xindi Primate cheek features are too apparent, and make it look nothing like a Romulan OR Vulcan. :p

It's the closest I could possibly get. There's also a lot of light shining on the characters in creation, so perhaps it would look better in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 06:35 PM
HERE is T'Jahn, my Romulan. She is a little darker than many Romulans, but she has a propensity for sun bathing and active outdoor sports like rock climbing on Vulcan. Still you can see the contrast is a little better preserved from the material to the game. I always select the Unknown Alien species as a base since you have more active control of the sliders and colors. I like your hair styles. I often get that wrong. (She was meant to look like a Romulan Marie Digby)

HERE is Subol, my main character's "number one". He appears to be a fairly typical Romulan male. You will note that his still has the green tinge that T'Jahn has, but he is much more far like a typical Romulan. Still he is not as pale as the ones presented in your tutorial. (He was meant to look like a young Jack Palance as a Romulan)

It is so hard to make a distinctly Romulan character in the editor. I blame the lack of triangular uniforms and shoulder pads. lol

What bugs me is that many Vulcans from the TV series and movies had very Histical (Hebrew/Jewish) facial features, but they are practically impossible to mimic correctly in the game. (Lower nose lengths, high strong cheeks and thinner lips.) The poor Romulans likewise suffer in that regard, but you can easily produce the looks of these proud people with the unknown alien race...sad.

Good good post, Jaime!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
btw, the Romulan NPC enemies encountered in game have the short combed down/forward haircut and some of them have Klingon ridges that have been reduced to slider bar 1.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCeruleanSentinel View Post
HERE is T'Jahn, my Romulan. She is a little darker than many Romulans, but she has a propensity for sun bathing and active outdoor sports like rock climbing on Vulcan. Still you can see the contrast is a little better preserved from the material to the game. I always select the Unknown Alien species as a base since you have more active control of the sliders and colors. I like your hair styles. I often get that wrong. (She was meant to look like a Romulan Marie Digby)

HERE is Subol, my main character's "number one". He appears to be a fairly typical Romulan male. You will note that his still has the green tinge that T'Jahn has, but he is much more far like a typical Romulan. Still he is not as pale as the ones presented in your tutorial. (He was meant to look like a young Jack Palance as a Romulan)

It is so hard to make a distinctly Romulan character in the editor. I blame the lack of triangular uniforms and shoulder pads. lol

What bugs me is that many Vulcans from the TV series and movies had very Histical (Hebrew/Jewish) facial features, but they are practically impossible to mimic correctly in the game. (Lower nose lengths, high strong cheeks and thinner lips.) The poor Romulans likewise suffer in that regard, but you can easily produce the looks of these proud people with the unknown alien race...sad.

Good good post, Jaime!
Good read, thanks for sharing. Hehe, your Romulans are a little darker than I would go, but they capture the look as best as one can in this game. I had not noticed the Histical style of Vulcans in the show. That's a pretty interesting observation. More sample pictures of your creations are always welcome, guys. I would love to see what you had done both before and after this post.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
btw, the Romulan NPC enemies encountered in game have the short combed down/forward haircut and some of them have Klingon ridges that have been reduced to slider bar 1.
Quoted and adding it to the original post as a suggestion.

My sig has links to other guides.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
i made my romulan half way between green seen in tng and the green tint of star trek 2009, didnt put ridges but added the tattoo and "infected" like shizon in nemsis(radiation from the supernova made him sick, its in my backstory). think it make him look pretty BA but might not be the traditional romulan others are looking for. when they have more romulan presets ill probably make another but i love what u can do in the character customization. ive made a few ppl who look exactly like people i know irl. its pretty crazy.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igloo View Post
i made my romulan half way between green seen in tng and the green tint of star trek 2009, didnt put ridges but added the tattoo and "infected" like shizon in nemsis(radiation from the supernova made him sick, its in my backstory). think it make him look pretty BA but might not be the traditional romulan others are looking for. when they have more romulan presets ill probably make another but i love what u can do in the character customization. ive made a few ppl who look exactly like people i know irl. its pretty crazy.
That's Cryptic for you. Customization is what they're good at. Now let's see if they can get up to speed in other regards. :p
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I'll take some shots of Alarah tomorrow - servers are too buggy for me to bother at the moment, and I may decide to tweak some things later.

Well, that, and I'm mostly grumpy it dropped at the end of 'Breaking the Planet'. >(
Closed Thread