# 61
02-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Tagging this for using later.

Great job!
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Also what are Romulan naming conventions?
I was able to find 2 versions of it online, and this was online s take with a spoon full of salt.

One version went that the first name is a given name, Last name is your family name, middle name is indicative of your home, either city or area starts "i-" if it's city, "ir-" if it's area, which can be anything from a province to a planet. more info http://www.alt-starfleet-rpg.org/mis...annamegen.html

The other version had a given name which sorta serves as an all purpose name, essentially it's perfectly normal in Romulan culture for a ensign to be on a first name basis with a high admiral (or even the Empress herself). Then 2 middle names chosen by the parents, and finally your family name, prefixed by either "Tr'-", "T'-", or the more archaic "cha'-". Located that here: http://www.sector001.com/species/romulans.shtml
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-14-2010, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feor View Post
I'm quite familiar with the Star Trek universe, I'm familiar with Sela, as I have seen every episode of TNG, I've seen the majority of DS9, so I'm quite familiar with Dax. Heck the only ST series I've not seen most of is Enterprise, and that's mostly cause when it was on TV I didn't eally have a TV.

I'm also not bashing anyone's RP.

I'm commenting on how messed up the character is. Even in universe that character's going to be aweful messed up. Imagine the family reunions?!?
Really its very clear you have no ST knowledge.

So in the Universe of ST it would be odd for a Romulin and a Human to hook up ha ha.

Its also clear you don't fully understand what a Trill is, The symbiont Trill does not have family as such, I wont explain the whole concept as you just wont understand.

You scarped the barrel with your first comment, realised how stupid you came across.

Gotta feel sorry for this kids parents but hey someone got to have them so we all look clever
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanharn View Post
Really its very clear you have no ST knowledge.

So in the Universe of ST it would be odd for a Romulin and a Human to hook up ha ha.

Its also clear you don't fully understand what a Trill is, The symbiont Trill does not have family as such, I wont explain the whole concept as you just wont understand.

You scarped the barrel with your first comment, realised how stupid you came across.

Gotta feel sorry for this kids parents but hey someone got to have them so we all look clever
Ok, first off, why are you being a jerk towards me for fairly innocent comment that I forget ot put a after to indicate it was intended as humorous.

Second, I'm 26 years old, and quite familiar with Star Trek as I said, you want me to go into details? We can have a nerd off, if you'd like, like I said, the only series I'm not familiar with in Enterprise.

Lets cover what we've got here: Romulan and Human hooking up IS very odd. Especially for the offspring o be old enough to have entered starfleet. The Romulans are an insular society, extremely Xenophobic. The federation never even SAW a Romulan until the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 (no bloody A, B, C, OR D) chased down and destroyed a Romulan Warbird that had attack a number of Earth Outpost stations along the Neutral zone border. The first Federation-Romulan war had been concluded with a peace treaty negotiated entirely over subspace radio as the Romulans refused to even meet the Humans face to face.

After Capt Kirk's initial dealings with the Romulans relations thawed somewhat, but then Sybok compromised the Romulan ambassador during his little "STV" escapades, and the Romulans withdrew from interstellar politics for another 50 years until a confrontation with the Enterprise-D. There was one Federation-Romulan interaction during this time, when the Enterprise-C was destroyed attempting to intervene on behalf of the Klingons when the Romulans attacked Khitomer. Some time-travel wackyness resulted in an alternate universe Tasha Yar being sent back in time aboard the Enterprise-C and captured after her destruction, where she eventually gave birth to a child by a Romulan officer, the current Empress, Sela. (Temporal Investigations would have a field day with that one, a Federation officer gets herself killed, thn a couple years later is "revived" by someone mangling the timestream, and goes back in time from after she'd been killed to before she was born, and... Oh no I think I'vegone crosseyed...)

Spock attempted to help relations by travelling to Romulus and working with the Romulans towards Reunification, but he has to stay underground as he's essetially a criminal for many years. He finally started to gain some traction around the time of Nemesis, with the Reunification moveent getting to the point that Romulans were not automatically hostile towards outsiders, but with still distrustful. Then Hobus exploded and Spock failed to make it to the supernova in time to stop the destruction of Romulus, bringing them to our current state, where most Romulans blae the Federation for the destruction of Romulus due to inaction.

So in all of that there was a window of maybe 5 years where humans and Romulans could see eye to eye enough to actually have a relationship, as a result any human-romulan hybrid old enough to be in starfleet is going to be the exception, rather than the rule, and are likely going to be cut off from one side of their family.

And just for the record, there are 2 known Half-romulans in the history of Star Trek, Sela (covered above) and Saavik, who in one of the deleted scenes from Wrath of Khan is revealed to be a Vulcan Romulan hybrid (possibly an earlier attempt at reunification).

As to the Trill having family, realistically a Trill has a HUGE family. Not only is there the direct family of the symbiote's current host, but also the memories and relationships of a trill's previous hosts would likely lead to them including members of those families in any really important gatherings. (with the obvious exception of any host who had been suppressed, such as the Dax's mass murdering former host)
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchback
Romulans ARE Vulcans! They come from the same species.
While Romulans and Vulcans share a common ancestry, thousands of years on seperate worlds light years apart has sent them each down a different eveloutionary pathway.
Lt. Commander
# 66
02-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBird69 View Post
While Romulans and Vulcans share a common ancestry, thousands of years on seperate worlds light years apart has sent them each down a different eveloutionary pathway.
Not even close. They're genetically the the same. A thousand years or so isn't enough for evolution.
Lt. Commander
# 67
02-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Not even close. They're genetically the the same. A thousand years or so isn't enough for evolution.
Actually, we'd be looking at closer to 3000 years (I think the schism was supposed to happen around 800BC Earth time).

And that's not long enough for evolution on Earth. The vulcanoid genome might be less stable overall than those of animals on Earth, plus the side effects of a barely space-capable species launching a fleet of ships out into the void at Warp 1-ish and potentially very little radiation protection. Also the extremely differing conditions on Romulus and Vulcan need to be taken into account. Vulcan is supposed to be a heavy G world with a thin atmosphere and higher than Earth standard average temperatures. Romulus has pretty much always been depicted as a relatively Earth Standard class M planet. So Romulans are going to be physically weaker overall than Vulcans, and less able to survive dessert like conditions.

There are also obvious differences in the races, the higher frequency of the forehead ridges we've been agonizing over for most of this thread, and and the fact that they are almost completely non-telepathic.

If you wanted to get really scientific on it I would bet that Romulans and Vulcans could be classed under the same Genus, but a different Species, not unlike the difference between a wolf and a dog. (Canis Lupus vs. Canis Familiaris)
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
No romulans are literally Vulcans. They are simply a different nation of them. The Forehead ridges are there because the TNG makeup artists did not realize that. There is not enough time for the Romulans to physically evolve such a major change.
I believe you are mistaken. If you go look at ST:TOS Klingons have no ridges, but then you go to ST:TMP and they have a distinctly different structure to them, one should note that Mark Lenard (Who played both Sarek and the first appearance of a Romulan in ST:TSO) also played the Klingon Captain in the beginning ST:TMP when they first encounter V'ger.

If Klingons can have such a drastic change in the span of five years or so, then why can't Romulans develope ridges over a course of a 150 years.

It's all about the tools at hand when they first introduced this world, and the creative license which Roddenberry allowed.

Heck, if you go back at look at one of the latest releases of ST:TMP you will find that the director pulled a Lucas and "specialized" it, with never before seen statues on Vulcan, a flight into San Francisco with the Golden Gate Bridge, bay windows in the ready room aboard the Enterprise and even seeing V'Ger approaching Earth toward the end of the film.

To the OP, great work RPing a way to put a race into the game, which one would think should have been there. My only thoughts on the reasoning of the developers and designers is that Romulans were still somewhat undecided about the Federation. Hell, Worf was one of the only Klingons I saw in a Star Fleet uniform that I can recall, and even in the episode where Riker served as First Officer aboard a Klingon Bird of Prey, the Klingons weren't exactly friendly. I think the difference with Worf was his being adopted by Human parents.
Lt. Commander
# 69
02-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamen View Post
I believe you are mistaken. If you go look at ST:TOS Klingons have no ridges, but then you go to ST:TMP and they have a distinctly different structure to them, one should note that Mark Lenard (Who played both Sarek and the first appearance of a Romulan in ST:TSO) also played the Klingon Captain in the beginning ST:TMP when they first encounter V'ger.

If Klingons can have such a drastic change in the span of five years or so, then why can't Romulans develope ridges over a course of a 150 years.

It's all about the tools at hand when they first introduced this world, and the creative license which Roddenberry allowed.
Actually, the Klingon ridges vs. Non-ridged issue is in fact completely cannon and has nothing to do with evolution. It was a disease caused by them messing around with augment (e.g. Khan Noonian Singh) DNA, and you actually help them cure it in game.
Lt. Commander
# 70
02-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feor View Post
Actually, the Klingon ridges vs. Non-ridged issue is in fact completely cannon and has nothing to do with evolution. It was a disease caused by them messing around with augment (e.g. Khan Noonian Singh) DNA, and you actually help them cure it in game.
your knowledge really is bad and sketchy at best.

The Klingons lost there Ridges due to what Happened with Data's father Dr. Soong's.

He managed to breed super solder children from the left over embryos from the Eugenics Wars,

Which it turn set up the events leading to the Battle over Qu'Vat and the Klingons capturing the Human Augments bird of prey etc. etc.

Now the story in STO where they get there ridges back is not fully cannon yet.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Klingon_augment_virus

As for Vulcan's its made clear in the Novels etc.. that they are almost Identical to Romulins.
There ancestry, Language and there telepathic ability ( that is not used and shunned in Romulin society).

The most notable quote that comes to mind about how similar the two races are comes from Nero's novel (ST - Countdown)

'Nero becomes telepathic, training the Vulcan side his people had locked away, enabling him to communicate with his Borg modified ship and V'Ger to calculate when Spock will arrive'

I really wouldn't listen to someone like the QUOTER making stuff and dealing in speculation.

if you really want answers read the official Novels.

Vulcan's and Roms are just like Chinese and English, the same but different.

This is a guy who doesn't know about all the Romulins that left the Empire and joined the federation talking on the human way of life, I Also believe there in STO at some point or you could dig out the novel.
Closed Thread